When using a long hose, how best to stow it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 130's filled weigh inn at 110#'s w/o BP & light. You think I want any Joe Smoe shuffling them around?

Apeks SS regs are plastic and my HID does'nt have a brightstar bulb. Woulnd't take much to wreck my dive or cost me big $.

I'd never purposely leave it the road and only too happy to help if you want it moved. I certainly don't care if someone slides it over a bit to place their own rig but start picking it off the ground I'll be over pretty quick unless you're my clubs Captain.

Michael

Sorry for the hijack.:D

TSandM:
OBG, back on topic, I've been diving off a decided non-DIR non-cave-diving boat for a week, where every annoying thing that can happen with a long hose seems to HAVE happened. I've been clipping it off to the right D-ring and hooking it around the first stage, but that seems to leave plenty of opportunity for anyone other than me who is moving the rig to hang it up on something. The original suggestion looks great to me, and will get tested tomorrow.
I'm waiting... :D

I have only been diving a long hose since January (when I took a cavern class). Most of my diving is boat diving and until now I found that when stowing the long hose, even when wrapped around the first stage, it is still in the way. This is especially true when the boat is full. This last weekend I tried the coil and clip idea MV spoke of back in the beginning of this thread and it was GREAT. It was nice and neat and out of the way during the SI, or the trip in and out of the harbor. I was able to leave it clipped off while I donned my gear. Thanks Mark for a great idea.

It was better. Now, if I could figure out something equally useful to do with the can light cord . . .

We were on a small catamaran for a week. Dive gear was kept along the aft rail and secured by a nylon rope tied into the lifelines. Due to limited space, the gear was kind of crammed together -- to change out tanks, you had to move stuff. In addition, because the compressor on the boat wasn't working, we had to take tanks off to get them filled. Often, whoever wasn't busy doing something else would pitch in to help get the gear off the tanks. I set UP my own gear, always, but I don't mind somebody else moving it, or taking it off the tank. At any rate, coiling the long hose up seemed to decrease the number of tripping/catching/dragging etc. incidents, but the can light cord still presented a hazard.

I disagree with Rick -- none of the boat crews I've met in "vacation" diving (Maui, Australia, the Caribbean) have dealt with a long hose OR a BP/W. The guys in Australia had a vague memory that "Wreck divers use those, don't they?" The crew on the boat last week had never seen long hoses, and were nonplussed that we had four divers in our group using them (3 five foot, one 7 foot). The captain, who is an instructor, was very perturbed that we were doing air-sharing without hanging onto one another :)

TSandM:
It was better. Now, if I could figure out something equally useful to do with
the can light cord . . .

i clip the light to the right d-ring and stow the excess cable tucked behind the
canister

works well

There is a solution to the can light cord. (thanks to King Ralph, see i did learn something)
Tie a bungie loop on the top hole or around the top bolt of your plate. Make the loop only big enough to fit the light head through.
The cord routes nicley along your torso and down your arm while diving, and also stays up out of the way while out of your rig.

MVC-017S.JPG

It looks like the solution in the picture works if you have your can light on your tank, but I can't see how it would work if the can light is on the right waist band.

I keep the light head clipped off on the right D-ring, and the canister on my waist belt, but the loop doesn't seem to want to stay tucked anywhere if the rig is moved at all. Oh well, it just gives the crew one more excuse to grumble about my weird, inconvenient gear :)

No, I dont mount anything to my tanks except my backplate.
This works with the can light on the waist band harness. When you get into your rig, the cord goes under your arm and comes out at your arm pit.
When out of your rig, simply clip off to either d-ring, cord stays behind your coiled up long hose which is clipped off on the same ring.
Try it, you may like it. It is almost free to do.

:33:

this doesn't sound DIR

:wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom