When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re
"When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?"

Practice swithing to your redundant gas suppy, then back to primary gas supply. You can try it on land first if you want, then the pool, then open water.

I would start in the basement because;

#1 No one can see you.

#2. Its cooler

#3. Once you think you have it down, you can turn off the light and practice some more.

#4. No one can see you.

I don't trust people I do not know. I think I can trust some people I do know but I really do not know. Bottom line is you do not know for sure how some one will react in a real emergency. Note that there is a difference between I have a problem, buddy does not and is there, AND buddy has a problem and I do not AND we are both under pressure.
I trust everyone I dive with. I don’t expect them to do me harm. I don’t rely on them, and don’t care if they come or go, but I trust them.

Bottom line is you do not know for sure how some one will react in a real emergency.

Was running into a park when I noticed an old man who collapsed- hopefully I m trained by Red Cross and I was close to him so I sprinted a bit... but damm only 1 people care to help me doing cardio compression. Other were watching.

So speaking about other reactions in front of emergency some will help and some will simply watch or do nothing.

I trust everyone I dive with. I don’t expect them to do me harm. I don’t rely on them, and don’t care if they come or go, but I trust them.

That can work too.. better served by yourself.

To perhaps to build upon what others have said.

There are two types of solo divers, ones that don’t have reliable buddies and ones that are just solo at heart. Purest solo divers are always diving solo, even when with a competent and reliable buddy. Theses divers quite probably never bought into the buddy system even from the start and from the very first dive were looking at ways to be self relient even if they had never heard of solo diving.

What skills are different? As lowviz said, some are simpy logistic, such as zipping a wet/dry suit. Some are gear, lost mask means managing without plans for buddy assist. Additional gear management, such as redundancy, gas, mask, etc. Some is planning, such as independent problem solving.

But the most important skill is between the divers ears. It is used so often it is almost cliche but it is so true. Solo is mindset. And the ability to face an “emergency” calmly. Any diver prone to panic or tunnel vision when the unexpected happens should probably not solo.

So when and where do you practice solo? Answer, on every single dive.

This may have already been mentioned but when diving with any buddy, if you think you might practice a skill, always review the signal for drill during the predive discussion then make sure to use the signal and have the buddy acknowledge it prior to the drill.

There are two types of solo divers, ones that don’t have reliable buddies and ones that are just solo at heart. Purest solo divers are always diving solo, even when with a competent and reliable buddy. Theses divers quite probably never bought into the buddy system even from the start and from the very first dive were looking at ways to be self relient even if they had never heard of solo diving.

So when and where do you practice solo? Answer, on every single dive.

If only most of famous agency do teach/introduce your point of view from the start. Cause it's really interesting.
Cause right now- I feel that agency make us 'assisted' diver you feel obliged to rely on buddy system and hope your insta buddy will be able to help you.

But I was thinking.
How does that work for a DIR Agency who rely on team diving ? GUE / UTD for example.
And what's happen if you are not able to match with a DIR diver (who are trained for team diving)

team diving is different to buddy system ? or it's the same?

TPurest solo divers are always diving solo, even when with a competent and reliable buddy. Theses divers quite probably never bought into the buddy system even from the start and from the very first dive were looking at ways to be self relient even if they had never heard of solo diving.

++1 - that's me.

Back
Top Bottom