When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I was thinking.
How does that work for a DIR Agency who rely on team diving ? GUE / UTD for example.

They are on the same page. (and have nothing to do with the OP's OQ)

Last edited:
... Purest solo divers are always diving solo, even when with a competent and reliable buddy. Theses divers quite probably never bought into the buddy system even from the start and from the very first dive were looking at ways to be self relient even if they had never heard of solo diving. ...
Sounds like someone I had the pleasure to dive with long ago and far away...

To perhaps to build upon what others have said.

There are two types of solo divers, ones that don’t have reliable buddies and ones that are just solo at heart. Purest solo divers are always diving solo, even when with a competent and reliable buddy. Theses divers quite probably never bought into the buddy system even from the start and from the very first dive were looking at ways to be self relient even if they had never heard of solo diving.

I wonder if I might be both? :). When I signed up for OW, my vision of scuba was diving alone. That changed as I started learning the PADI material. I was taught by a self-professed ‘stickler’ and felt that everyone in my class were taught with a solid foundation, and I’d be happy to dive with any of them.

Pretty much all of my OW dives have been quite the opposite. Buddies who bragged about skills and experience yet don’t know what equipment they have or are missing, people who have no idea they’re under-weighted or their first stage is audibly leaking on the boat... I’ve even been sent by a DM alone, 40-50 feet to the line to begin my ascent and do safety stop. Never in my life have I felt so vulnerable. So this all brought me to at least consider self-reliant diving to apply buddy situations.

Then I did my first solo dive (shallow, populated beach with snorklers overhead) and it was one of the most incredible experiences in my life. I’m getting chills just thinking about it.

...//... I’ve even been sent by a DM alone, 40-50 feet to the line to begin my ascent and do safety stop. Never in my life have I felt so vulnerable. ...
See, there is the problem for some of us. Would two of you have made it all safe and happy?

Some people believe in blind trust and just having ANYONE else near them makes everything OK. Other people don't buy into this fantasy.

I don’t think it’s that simple - even if I don’t trust an insta buddy, without redundant air I’d still prefer to have their alternate air source within a breath’s reach.

OK, fair. But with the most simple dive planning you will never ever run out of air. Free-flows are manageable too.

IMHO, The problem begins when things get tense and both divers are unsure of themselves. I would much rather be alone in that situation.

So....there are two paths to solo. You are well known to your operator, have demonstrated good skills, they are willing to allow you to dive by yourself. You have solo dive certification, you have the right equipment, they will let you dive by yourself. Both systems work perfectly fine. I have and do use both systems.

So....there are two paths to solo. ...
Maybe three.

...//... You are well known to your operator, have demonstrated good skills, they are willing to allow you to dive by yourself. ...
That is one, you are allowed to dive.

You have solo dive certification, you have the right equipment, they will let you dive by yourself. ...
That is two, you are allowed to dive.

Three:
You follow the rank and file until you can't take it anymore. (But you do owe them considerations from your cherry-picking their training.) Then you just take your stuff out and dive anywhere that diving isn't prohibited.

Yes, iI failed to mention #3. As I often travel by myself, I start diving with the group but then end up diving by myself. In general, this is against the rules of the group, but is allowed once you demonstrate your ability to successfully return at the appropriate time at the end of the dive. I have made friends with my boat crew on several occasions by adhering to this principle.

Wow really interesting talk and thinking divers. Please keep going really appreciate.

Thank you guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom