When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you miss where I said that I was not asking that seriously?

From what I understand, some aircraft (notably SouthWorst) have HEPA filters in the air supply that comes out in the jets from above the seats. If that will stop the virus droplets (main source of infection) then the best strategy would be to get a window seat and have that jet blowing full blast down on your head. FWIW

Dave Dillehay

Me, boarding an airplane anytime in the next 12 months...
gettyimages-170749322-1024x1024.jpg

That's a really stupid analogy.

Assuming the blind crew gets the plane in the air, you have about a 90% chance of dying in a fiery crash.

Even if there are 1000 COVID-19 infected patients standing in the immigration line at the Cozumel airport, sneezing in to every new arrival's face, your chances of dying are still under 10%.

I know this is about a week old, but saw it re-quoted earlier today, so highlighted the one part. We keep focusing on MY chances of getting it, or MY chances of dying. Certainly that's a worry, but the bigger issue, and I'd argue, personal responsibility, is how much are my actions increasing the likelihood OTHERS will get it? Using your statistic, if I caught it in the immigration line, I may only have a 10% chance to die, but 5 days later when I'm asymptomatic, and I sneeze on the three old shop workers with underlying medical conditions, and they catch it, their risk of death is a lot higher. That's my big problem when I see people saying you're infringing on things like my right to liberty or freedom. Your liberty or freedom doesn't operate in a vacuum, it potentially has effects on others and we, in my opinion, have to be cognizant of that and also be responsible.

The truth of the matter, for me at least, is I feel I have a responsibility to take measures that not only limit my risk of exposure, but that of others as well. No one really knows for sure how bad the virus has spread there. However, we do know that increased social activity and interaction will increase the number of infections. The medical infrastructure of Cozumel is such that I don't know how well it can survive with a huge influx of patients, and knowing that if I may have potentially played a role in that collapse is something I struggle with, especially when I weigh that against my reason to go there.

Having to go out to go to work or to buy groceries is a pretty essential activity. Going diving down in the Caribbean is not (though I really really want to). Donate money if you really want to help without having the potential to be part of the problem of spreading the virus. If you spend $600 in your 10 days eating out in Cozumel, send $30 or $40 to each of the 10 restaurants you would visit. There is virtually no cost for them (food, etc) to net out that $30 or $40 and use it to help maintain their business. Save your smiling face for the next visit.

Sending my dive master friend the price of a couple of two tank boat dives every month until I see him again. Supporting the folks that feed me there is another great idea.

ever been on a ventilator for 2 or 3 weeks in a hospital room? Heard about the permanent lung and heart damage to healthy adults that get covid?

this is not a normal flu. this disease is attacking the lungs and heart , and now we are finding out the arteries veins of children in many countries. we thought kids were safe. we thought wrong.

I know this is about a week old, but saw it re-quoted earlier today, so highlighted the one part.

the-point.png

I was commenting on a post that equated getting on a plane with blind pilots and no instrumentation to opening Cozumel too early for tourism. That's it.

View attachment 585194

I was commenting on a post that equated getting on a plane with blind pilots and no instrumentation to opening Cozumel too early for tourism. That's it.

lol, context right? Sorry about that. My point is still the same and even out of context that statement highlights the view of many and the problem I discussed.
Love the graphic btw....

Something is happening. When I looked at this webcam this morning Grand Park Royal Cozumel, Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México, the boats which had been anchored in the frame since the lockdown started are now gone, and I saw another boat going by out past the end of the cruise ship dock.

I’m not sure about boats moored there but all the glass bottom boats that are usually moored in the passenger ferry area have long been moved out - there was only the trash boat and a private sailboat moored out there. They’ve been gone for a month it seems.

Yesterday we did get 6-7” of rain too, could be bilge pump checks??? Thought it was supposed to rain today and tomorrow but looks wonderful now...

Back
Top Bottom