• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

When will Coz re-open?

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by WetInPortland, Apr 29, 2020.

1. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    All of us are having to do things that from an individual perspective make no difference to public or personal health.

bhalah likes this.
  2. Ministryofgiraffes

Ministryofgiraffes Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    It really is a difficult call for everyone and there are indeed so many conflicting opinions. ‘When it’s safe’ is such an ambiguous statement, what people really mean is ‘when I personally adjudge it to be safe’ My mother is insistent that all international travel should be banned for 24 months from April 1st 2020. No questions. Only domestic tourism allowed.

I doubt we will see a consensus of opinion regarding the correct opening date for years..

3. bhalah

bhalah Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999

I wish that doing those things from an individual's perspective would it make it seem worthwhile.

4. Ministryofgiraffes

I’m a bit lost now...is this dude a valid source? Or is he a tourism guy saying that cancun is opening with no authority.. is the governor in charge, or is he just a governor of a province and the decision actually lies with a higher power?

Travelers Booking Cancun Vacations After Reopening Announcement - Travel Off Path

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Carlos is the governor of Q Roo, it seems the decision is in his hands along with the local mayors.....

They seem to be full steam ahead with this opening on some limited basis.

Xacarat issued some letter saying two places opening on June 15th but I haven't heard of any places or dates before that - your guess is as good as any. They seem to be still saying local limited opening on the 1st - I can only hope that includes the marine park but there has been no mention at all of that.

They mention this stop light thing but no word of what it takes to change the light color....

As of today, most active cases to date in Q Roo, most in Cozumel, most in Playa and almost the most in Cancun.........

6. Ministryofgiraffes

Kk..I’m confused about @Christi message. Does she mean don’t come even though the governor is saying do come and they have opened the hotels and airport? Or just don’t come now even though the governor is saying do come?

and if so, then when should people come? Who can give the green light as to when it’s appropriate to come? And where will it be appropriate to come from? If the governor etc aren’t the yardstick, then everything is ambiguous.

I have friends in the industry in Coz who are saying ‘get your @ss down here as soon as the governor opens us up, social distance properly and spend your money, we have people we need to pay/support but don’t come if you are symptomatic ,but I don’t want to come down if the governor and hotels are saying ‘we are open for business’ but then you are getting egged in the street by random people because they don’t think you should be there...

7. BRT

BRT ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

My Mom has a 4 1/2 year life expectancy. She has no interest in spending half of it locked down.

8. BRT

You can fly in there now, and I'm sure someone will rent you a room. Diving...not so much.

Ministryofgiraffes likes this.
  9. BRT

Random people in the street in the Cancun area are wondering how they will feed their families. The only way they can do that is if tourists return. It is not like here where unemployed people are making more than they did working. I just spent an hour or more chatting with a good friend who depends on tourism dollars. Reality is that everybody there except the independently wealthy or people with pensions depend on tourism dollars. My friend is wondering about moving back to Yucatan and trying to raise enough chickens and corn to survive. Problem is that as soon as tourist return some of them will get infected. And that will stop everything.

10. Ministryofgiraffes

So equally ambiguous....it seems there is no right answer.

‘come and spend your money to help us but definitely don’t come because it will endanger us and you. Do not believe the tourist agency or cultural representatives when they say that the hotels will be open on a certain date, only the governor can decide that, but when he does decide and says you can come On that date and the hotels will be open, don’t come... We look forward to not seeing you soon or later’