When would you forego a solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropitan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is mostly a survey question:

I have cancelled a solo dive due to rough surf; not feeling well after arriving at the dive site, and just for a general 'not a good day to dive' feeling. How about you?

Forgotten piece of equipment... Doh!

I've cancelled a number of second dives at new sites (lakes mostly) due to poor vis, cold or lack of anything further to see beyond the first dive.

Usually if I drive to a site I will dive it but sometimes crap happens, gear failures would be the main problem but one time (i wrote about it in another thread) the vis was so bad that I couldn't read my gauges even when they were pressed against my mask, I was at 90 ft., very close to a extreemly large floating dry dock that I didn't want to find myself under and my pony reg. had just snagged up on something and I had to un-snag it without being able to see what it got snagged on or how it was snagged.
Happy diving
ZDD

I think I've cancelled a dive only once at the dive site.

That's probably because I don't commit myself unless the forecast weather and marine conditions pretty much guarantee the dive conditions will be worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to the site.... In other words, I cancel at home about two days ahead.... :D

Dave C

Anytime I find myself rationalizing. I've learned to be real about it and usually nip a bad idea before it's a wasted trip.

Reactions: Jax
Only for the same conditions I would cancel a buddy dive (weather, gear or personal health). Since I don't have to worry about my buddy and his gear, not very often.

Only for the same conditions I would cancel a buddy dive (weather, gear or personal health). Since I don't have to worry about my buddy and his gear, not very often.

Nothing mgical about solo diving. If conditions, emotions, physical well being, gear aren't right then I don't dive. Only difference for solo diving is I only have to worry about those things for one person.

I cancel solo dives if I don't feel right.

I start all of my solo dives with some drills to test my skills. If the drills don't go well, I cancel the dive.

Reactions: Jax
The last solo dive I aborted was because I forgot to analyze my back gas. Steel tanks, dry suit, argon, buddy bottle, deco bottle, all back up those slippery steps in front of the Islander wreck in Alexandria Bay. Analyzed. Went back in ... down the wall.

I knew who blended it and he's usually spot on so I almost decided to dive. When I analyzed ... yep ... spot on. My left knee with three torn ligaments loves those steps. :dork2:

I've cancelled solo dive when I couldn't find a buddy... Nah, just joking :wink:

Dozen of times: Too many "buddied divers" present at dive site. In my country there is a law against solo diving, and solo divers are usually harassed by buddied-divers with the regular "where's your buddy" type of sh!t...

Several times: Bad sea conditions (surf, low vis). Probably would have cancelled the same if I was diving with a buddy.

A couple of times: General bad feeling, caused by minor gear failure and the such.

Back
Top Bottom