When you going Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The economy is important but only in how it benefits the population - it is not an end in itself. A economy that is performing well is not much use to you if you are dead and don't get me started on "they were going to die anyway" there's still plenty of people in the 20-60 yo range who are dying. China is not going to foreclose - their wealth comes from selling us stuff we don't need.

Chris I did some work which I didn't keep on death rates and they are a very small % but if you look at the numbers you think it is large. Infections are one thing but hospitalisations and deaths are the stats that count.
They ain't that high but the media and the false forecasts of the rates of deaths are ridiculous. Also in the Northern Hemi it is coming back as winter arrives. It will be the same for us come next June..What happens then are we all locked up again?
We have to learn to live with this same as we have done with every one of them since time immemorial. A vaccine if it proves effective will help.
I prefer not to live in a fearful world.

Chris I did some work which I didn't keep on death rates and they are a very small % but if you look at the numbers you think it is large. Infections are one thing but hospitalisations and deaths are the stats that count.
They ain't that high but the media and the false forecasts of the rates of deaths are ridiculous. Also in the Northern Hemi it is coming back as winter arrives. It will be the same for us come next June..What happens then are we all locked up again?
We have to learn to live with this same as we have done with every one of them since time immemorial. A vaccine if it proves effective will help.
I prefer not to live in a fearful world.

It is not possible to compare the COVID situation is Australia with the reality in North Hemisphere (for example in Europe).

The peak so far there was what? 800 daily cases in a country with 25 million people? COVID is irrelevant in Australia.

While you can learn to live with the virus on those levels, it is a bit tougher when it reaches the proportions you can now see all over Europe.

mm6942e2-F1.gif

Here are the excess deaths in the U.S. over the course of the year. This is not good.
0.09375 % of your population. Considering the foretellers of doom were stating a min loss of 0.1% it is actually 10x less than expected. Actually it is 94% of expected.
Bill

It is not possible to compare the COVID situation is Australia with the reality in North Hemisphere (for example in Europe).

The peak so far there was what? 800 daily cases in a country with 25 million people? COVID is irrelevant in Australia.

While you can learn to live with the virus on those levels, it is a bit tougher when it reaches the proportions you can now see all over Europe.

Exactly the point, the restrictions in Australia worked, who knows what might have happened if we didn't have the restrictions

Exactly the point, the restrictions in Australia worked, who knows what might have happened if we didn't have the restrictions

Exactly +1 :checkbox:

Following the economic impact of the first wave, European countries delayed taking serious measures early on the second wave.
We have now seen in Portugal the results of too much too early (first wave) and too little too late (second wave).
While the former can be justified by the fear of the unknown, the latter was just recklessness.
Some sort of restrictions will always be needed in this context, but if countries fail to decree (and actually enforce) these early on, tougher ones will be needed further down the road (as it can now be seen in Europe).

I think a second home confinement could have been avoided in Portugal and other European countries: now is inevitable.

Hi Bill, Just looked at the latest USA results and it is 761 per million death rate which is 0.0761% or 76 per 100,000. Australia's death rate has been 63 per 100,000. A large part from it getting into old people's retirement homes. Look after the elderly and the susceptible and this is not so serious.
Certainly, nothing to shut yourself up over. The politicians are loving this fear driven solution, the Queensland State government with a pathetic performance and the state almost broke just won a massive win by locking up the fearful and the not so fearful alike. It's a guarantee of re-election.
If we continue with this fear driven nonsense the west will spend themselves into another depression.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 55,268,890 Cases and 1,330,550 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Hi Bill, Just looked at the latest USA results and it is 761 per million death rate which is 0.0761% or 76 per 100,000. Australia's death rate has been 63 per 100,000. A large part from it getting into old people's retirement homes. Look after the elderly and the susceptible and this is not so serious.
Certainly, nothing to shut yourself up over. The politicians are loving this fear driven solution, the Queensland State government with a pathetic performance and the state almost broke just won a massive win by locking up the fearful and the not so fearful alike. It's a guarantee of re-election.
If we continue with this fear driven nonsense the west will spend themselves into another depression.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 55,268,890 Cases and 1,330,550 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

I am young enough to believe that the risk of covid death in my case is acceptable. The problem is I do not believe the same regarding long-term health consequences. And those are not reflected in the statistics...

David: Life is meant to be lived and not locked away waiting for a vaccine to become available.
Social distancing and masks if you are up for that will cover most of the problem?
Common sense will do almost as much as locking people away, even if you disregard the psychological damage done to some people.

Back
Top Bottom