When you REALLY mess up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, last weekend I got to dive with one of the best UW photogs in the country. My club had a trip visiting his club, and we went diving together. It's a bit of a thrill to dive with folks whom you respect a lot, even if you aren't buddied up with them.

Now, just to give a litte bit of background here, I'm a North European club diver. In that kind of diving, there's no DM in the water, and people are diving either as independent buddy pairs or - unofficially - solo. Solo diving isn't condoned by our Diving Association, but, hey, live and let live. Better to turn the blind eye than to buddy a n00b with a photog who essentially dives solo anyway. So there might well be a couple of same day, same ocean "buddies" if there are more that one UW photog on the boat. And this is cold water country. Virtually everyone is certified dry, and dives dry year 'round.

Anyway, back to my story. My club went on a trip to the coast last weekend, going out with the local club's boat. And - as I've already mentioned - one of the best UW phtogs in the country was on the boat. Cool. Colorful guy, lots of stories. Anyway, I and my buddy splash as one of the first pairs, and the dive is pretty uneventful. I snap a few pics on the outbound leg, and when my bottom time is a little less that half of our planned run time, I signal my buddy to turn the dive.

On the way back, we meet a few of the other buddy pairs, and then I see the guy. He's focusing on the same anemone I snapped a couple of pics of on my way out. I figure I'd like to have a pic of the bloke in action, so I start finning towards him. I try to stay out of his FOV, so I don't pick a beeline towards him, but circle around. And then things start to look OK. The guy is in the lower right of my FOV, the rock is in the upper left and the anemone is nicely located roughly in the thirds. Problem (or, what turned out to be the problem) is, the scene just screams for a portrait aspect ratio. I rotate my camera to get a portrait pic. Now, when I rotate my camera, I don't just rotate my camera. My body follows. And if you haven't dived dry, rest assured that that brings on a whole suite of issues. The keyword here is "air migration". It's noticeably worse if you're wearing a shell suit, less of an issue in a neo suit, and not particularly annoying in a snug suit like Scubapro's Everdry 4 or the Fusion. I was wearing a trilam shell suit. So, I totally lose control, and of course I end up on the sand bottom. Imagine a total idjit, arms and legs thrashing, on a sand bottom. I silted up the scene like you probably couldn't believe. With one of my country's best UW photogs trying to nail a shot.

Back on the boat, the dude had hardly doffed his fins before I was beside him, apologizing for what had happened. He seemed cool with it, so I started feeling a little bit better. Until we've had our supper and cracked the beers. The incident was - of course - embellished for each and every beer can that was cracked, and I... let's say "received a few comments". To my relief, I still haven't seen any video of the incident on Facebook...

I wouldn't worry too much about it for a couple reasons. First, we all make mistakes. Yours seems to be a minor mistake that "snowballed". It could have happened to anybody. You were trying to be considerate & came in on a trajectory designed to stay out of his way. Once the air in your suit shifted then you were pretty much a passenger till you recovered. by that time the silt was stirred up.

Secondly, in my humble opinion, if he was "cool with it" on the boat and then he was taking some shots at you at dinner, were the comments good spirited "yanking your chain" type of comments or were they intended to embarrass you and put you in your place? If they were the former, then don't worry about it. If they were the latter, then that speaks as much to his character as it does to your diving ability.

Third, (and again, this is just my opinion) if you are going to make any mistake, at least you made one that was worthy of being made into a story. There is something to be said about that. :cheers:

Finally, if I were you, I would "own it". Reading your post, it was clear that you were trying to do everything you could to stay out of his way. It actually reminded me a bit of the scene in the movie "TOPGUN" when Jester says to Maverick: "That was some of the best flying I've seen to date. Right up to the part where you got killed."

in my humble opinion, if he was "cool with it" on the boat and then he was taking some shots at you at dinner, were the comments good spirited "yanking your chain" type of comments or were they intended to embarrass you and put you in your place? If they were the former, then don't worry about it. If they were the latter, then that speaks as much to his character as it does to your diving ability.
It was definitely the former, and it wasn't that guy who was ribbing me about it; it was my clubmates (I see now that I wasn't clear about that issue). And I don't worry about it. I just thought it might be a funny story.

Last edited:
That's the great thing about doing stuff with your friends: no matter how badly it goes for you, no matter how foolish you look or even if you got a bit hurt, at least there were friends along to find joy and amusement in the situation. :-D

I think the fact that he brought it up to rib you about it shows that he thought it was funny. We've all been there. And besides, it doesn't matter: if by some small chance he did not accept your heartfelt and repeated apologies, lied about everything being OK and later needled you with real intent to embarrass and upset, that guy would have to be a complete dink and certainly no one worth worrying about. Pretty unlikely IMO. So assume the best about both the situation & him. Most folks are nice, most folks do like humor more than nastyness. Those that aren't - well, to heck with them.

So, last weekend I got to dive with one of the best UW photogs in the country. My club had a trip visiting his club, and we went diving together. It's a bit of a thrill to dive with folks whom you respect a lot, even if you aren't buddied up with them.

Now, just to give a litte bit of background here, I'm a North European club diver. In that kind of diving, there's no DM in the water, and people are diving either as independent buddy pairs or - unofficially - solo. Solo diving isn't condoned by our Diving Association, but, hey, live and let live. Better to turn the blind eye than to buddy a n00b with a photog who essentially dives solo anyway. So there might well be a couple of same day, same ocean "buddies" if there are more that one UW photog on the boat. And this is cold water country. Virtually everyone is certified dry, and dives dry year 'round.

Anyway, back to my story. My club went on a trip to the coast last weekend, going out with the local club's boat. And - as I've already mentioned - one of the best UW phtogs in the country was on the boat. Cool. Colorful guy, lots of stories. Anyway, I and my buddy splash as one of the first pairs, and the dive is pretty uneventful. I snap a few pics on the outbound leg, and when my bottom time is a little less that half of our planned run time, I signal my buddy to turn the dive.

On the way back, we meet a few of the other buddy pairs, and then I see the guy. He's focusing on the same anemone I snapped a couple of pics of on my way out. I figure I'd like to have a pic of the bloke in action, so I start finning towards him. I try to stay out of his FOV, so I don't pick a beeline towards him, but circle around. And then things start to look OK. The guy is in the lower right of my FOV, the rock is in the upper left and the anemone is nicely located roughly in the thirds. Problem (or, what turned out to be the problem) is, the scene just screams for a portrait aspect ratio. I rotate my camera to get a portrait pic. Now, when I rotate my camera, I don't just rotate my camera. My body follows. And if you haven't dived dry, rest assured that that brings on a whole suite of issues. The keyword here is "air migration". It's noticeably worse if you're wearing a shell suit, less of an issue in a neo suit, and not particularly annoying in a snug suit like Scubapro's Everdry 4 or the Fusion. I was wearing a trilam shell suit. So, I totally lose control, and of course I end up on the sand bottom. Imagine a total idjit, arms and legs thrashing, on a sand bottom. I silted up the scene like you probably couldn't believe. With one of my country's best UW photogs trying to nail a shot.

Back on the boat, the dude had hardly doffed his fins before I was beside him, apologizing for what had happened. He seemed cool with it, so I started feeling a little bit better. Until we've had our supper and cracked the beers. The incident was - of course - embellished for each and every beer can that was cracked, and I... let's say "received a few comments". To my relief, I still haven't seen any video of the incident on Facebook...

Post some pics of the "incident"!

much to my embarrassment I was berated on board after a dive for getting in someones way -actually more than that i swam in front of him and he had to duck to avoid being hit by my fins while - he was hovering a couple meters out from the bow taking a traditional 'bow' shot. I guess i must have been more narced than i thought as we were pretty deep on air. I wasn't convinced until his buddy showed me a video he captured of the whole scene .

Keep on dreaming :)
And then things start to look OK. The guy is in the lower right of my FOV, the rock is in the upper left and the anemone is nicely located roughly in the thirds. Problem (or, what turned out to be the problem) is, the scene just screams for a portrait aspect ratio.

What about posting this photo before everything went FUBAR.

What about posting this photo before everything went FUBAR.
The culprit (the anemone):
20171007_SMOM6057.jpg

The other photog, while everything still seemed OK:
20171007_SMOM6074.jpg

The other photog, just at the time Someone(tm) was starting to lose control (note his eyes):
20171007_SMOM6076.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom