When Your Dive Comp Band Suddenly Disintegrates During A Liveaboard Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the OP's model has a proprietary band attachment, doesn't have the standard bar where you can use any generic strap.

Well, that's unfortunate...

Had something similar happen to the straps on two of my dive computers (same model). One dropped off my wrist while I was filming under a small outcropping and my son happened to see it. I keep my computers indoors out of the sun when not diving and don't use bug spray at all or chemicals near them. I suspect the rubber came from China.

The User Manual is really your friend
View attachment 481530

View attachment 481531

I've never, ever seen that battery symbol. I've also never seen the "Battery Low" wording. When my D4i failed it went from "Battery OK" (no symbol), to a blank screen. When I hit the function button I saw something like "bat lo" (all lower case) briefly and that was it.

For the strap..

Certainly from your pics the strap doesn't show too much wear and abuse. I'd have been surprised if both sides of the strap failed at once.

Both sides failed on the same day. I didn't take photos of the non-buckle end, but it broke about half way down.

If it's the computer, your budget will decide if you want to treat yourself to another computer or not. If money is tight, and the computer basically works for what you want it to do, you seem to have worked out a strategy for checking the battery. Maybe just change it a bit more frequently (the kits are about $20, right?). I agree, that sounds frustrating.

I don't have sufficient self-confidence to change the battery myself. I send it to Dive Supply here in Thailand. That costs me almost a hundred bucks (US). That means it costs between one and two dollars per dive for the battery. That seems high to me.

I don't have sufficient self-confidence to change the battery myself. I send it to Dive Supply here in Thailand. That costs me almost a hundred bucks (US). That means it costs between one and two dollars per dive for the battery. That seems high to me.

Yeah, I would also be concerned about changing the battery in one of those watch style computers - if anything went wrong with the o-ring, you could flood it. That's what I like about my Petrel...

I know this thread is a week or so old, but there is an adaptor that allows you to use standard watch straps with the Suunto wrist computers. Bagus Adapter » Shop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom