When Your Dive Comp Band Suddenly Disintegrates During A Liveaboard Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have sufficient self-confidence to change the battery myself.

Then you probably shouldn't be sticking your head in places where it doesn't belong without a mask and regulator.... re your avatar....just sayin'...

Okay, I'm preemptively recapitulating. I am old now and smell like eggs.

Then you probably shouldn't be sticking your head in places where it doesn't belong without a mask and regulator.... re your avatar....just sayin'...

Ah, well, isn't that one of the skills we learned in the basic Open Water class? Practice makes perfect.

(BTW, I'm also old, but I don't think I smell like eggs. First certified in 1972….)

Okay, I defer to your older-ness....sense of smell is the first to go....after vision and hearing.

The replacement strap (ten bucks) was easy to install, once I put my magnifying glasses on. The strap is much more flexible and supple then the original strap, or the strap on my wife's Zoop. It feels very much like the strap that comes with the Apple Watch. Only time will tell how long it lasts.

BTW, the strap came with an extension, like the original, a couple of replacement screws and a Torx driver. I ended up using the original screws which use a standard slotted driver.

2018-10-05 16.32.20-1.jpg

I love NATO style wrist bands. I'll go three/four years on the original watch band and then put one of these on. They engage both of the pins with a single strap, so if a pin fails, you still own your PCD. I've found a number of PCDs of reefs that were missing a pin.

marine_nationale_baltic_navy_gray_cheapest_nato_straps-1.JPG

I love NATO style wrist bands. I'll go three/four years on the original watch band and then put one of these on. They engage both of the pins with a single strap, so if a pin fails, you still own your PCD. I've found a number of PCDs of reefs that were missing a pin.

Thank-you.

A couple of questions:
  1. I'm assuming that PCD refers to a dive computer, but I'm not certain of that. I searched and searched, but the closest I could come was Cressi's use of PCD to refer to Priority Component Digital Display. I'm not even sure what that means. So, what does the acronym PCD mean in this context?
  2. I looked around for NATO style wrist bands that would fit the D4i, but didn't have much luck. The closest I came was a sixty dollar kit that includes adapters for the Suunto dive computer. Can you give me a source for NATO straps for the D4i that don't require an adapter? (The adapters I saw look rather flimsy to me.)

Back
Top Bottom