Where and how do you keep your cutting tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a whole section about cutting tools full of very good discussions on the different types, materials, etc.

My question is slightly different... Where and how do you keep your cutting tools? For example, on the wrist, on the calf, in a pocket of the drysuit, etc. etc.
Of course, that also depends from the type of cutting tool. For example where do you keep the trilobite? Or the shears? And knives of course

Thanks
Small knife on chest strap. Trilobyte on my left shoulder strap. I've used each to clean up fishing line and once to untangle a sea gull with fishing gear nearly drowning it.

Trilobite on computer strap
blunt tip knife on waist belt, right side, double duty as a longhose retainer
EMT shears in tail pocket

I would encourage everyone to consider some form of wrist lanyard for your cutting tools, it's very easy to drop one while cutting yourself free.

You are correct that everyone will have a different location depending on how they dive.

I'm a spearo. My biggest concern is shooting a large fish with a line attached to my gun and the fish circles me repeatedly. In most cases I will be trying to ascend so the fish will circle below and potentially wrapping line around my legs and waist. For that reason I keep my stiletto 5 inch knife zip tied to my inflator hose. I could put it on my bicep but I'm also laying in the sand reaching in a hole for a bug and it would get fouled.

I know you asked "Where" but the interesting answers will also include " WHY do you do that?"

View attachment 641219
I didn't see your photo before now but I just noticed you and I have the same knife.

You all keeping line cutters on computer or compass straps, do you not find that they interfere with the compass readings? Or are they all of some ceramic sort?
I use the dgx ceramic so no issues.

I have an Zeegle ceramic line cutter that I keep on my BCD. I keep it on the weight pouch strap, which I like because it is one of the few straps that gets cinched tight and stays that way the whole dive.

I also will wear a BFK on my inside calf. On my dry suit it will help keep air from pooling in my leg. It makes a great hammer, crowbar and measuring stick
4B2CAE82-ECF6-44E6-8111-C7569769D04B.png

There is a whole section about cutting tools full of very good discussions on the different types, materials, etc.

My question is slightly different... Where and how do you keep your cutting tools? For example, on the wrist, on the calf, in a pocket of the drysuit, etc. etc.
Of course, that also depends from the type of cutting tool. For example where do you keep the trilobite? Or the shears? And knives of course

Thanks
I have my dive knife, a Wohinka knife, on the outside of my right leg. I've used this configuration for six decades plus of diving. I prefer a dive knife, with both a serrated edge and a regular cutting edge. The serrated cutting edge is very useful for cutting huge ropes; in my high school years, I cut a huge rope and netting off a ship's propeller using the serrated edge. When I got my Wohinka knife, it added two features, a line cutter and a nifty one-touch holding button.

The only change in this configuration was when I was in the U.S. Air Force as a Pararescueman, and was making parascuba jumps. For those jumps, the knife was on the inside of my right calf, where it couldn't be tangled with suspension lines in the water or risers when jumping. We also had a survival knife on top of our reserve parachute.

About every dive in Oregon's Clackamas River, I will find a use for my knife. Whether it's cutting a fishing lure off tangled fishing line (I get a lot of lures from the river), or cutting that line off me (this happens a lot), or preying a lead sinker out of a crack in the rocks, or cutting a 1/4 inch nylon throwing line off my wrist, there are many uses for my knife. I am rather particular about my dive knife, and want one made out of high quality stainless steel which will keep a razor edge. I regularly sharpen my knife, and the ones I've collected too. I have three Sportsways dive knives, all of which are really sharp. I'll try to attach photos a bit later.

SeaRat

PS, I just uploaded photos of my dive knives. The one on the right is my current knife, the Wenoka. Note the release button in the center lower area of the handle. This allows me to use it with one hand, which proved handy when my other hand was tied to a 550 lb test throw line in the Clackamas River. One sweep with this knife (which is razor sharp) and it parted. The three Sportsways knives are the ones that I used in the USAF. I did not like the U.S. Divers Company knife we were issued, as they were made in Japan of inferior steel (1967-71 era; they stated "Stainless Steel, Made in Japan" and they rusted on those letters). I used them to cut two dead Korean pilots out of their parachute harness for helicopter recovery in 1968; they had thought they were at 10,000 feet when they came through the clouds in a T-33 jet, and were less than 500 feet over glass smooth water of the Yellow Sea, and basically flew the plane into the ocean due to a malfunctioning altimeter. The one I really like is the one with the steel cap, second from the right in one of the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8687.JPG
    IMG_8687.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8688.jpg
    IMG_8688.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8690.JPG
    IMG_8690.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 57

Thanks

Nothing unique about it. I just phrased it badly.

View attachment 641209

Same for me, EZ cut on each Shearwater. Simply, easy, not bulky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom