Where are the sharks in Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is currently an italian researcher trying to number the sharks and variety of sharks in the mediterranean.

There is supposed to be quite a number of sharks including great whites but they are too far from shore to be spotted by divers
I don't think there are great whites in Europe?

In UK waters there are Porbeagles, Makos, Blue, Thresher and the Basking shark - I've never seen them in the water but they do visit UK waters. I've seen dogfish which are members of the shark family. (As for rays, the Thornback ray has almost disappeared sadly.)

In Malta,Sicily there have been confirmed sightings of the Great White and video evidence .As a kid I saw a picture of a Great White caught in the Eastern Med.

The most common ones in norwegian waters (in no particular order);

Blackmouth catshark (Lives near the bottomn, usually 55-1200 meters)
Velvet belly lantern shark (Deep waters, down to 500+ meters)
Spiny dogfish (Ocean down to 400 meters)
Small-spotted catshark (10-400 meters)
Greenland shark (First real big one with up to 7-8 meter length, lives at 200-600 meters tho)
Porbeagle (up to 3m long, 0-200 meters depth)
School shark (up to 2m long, Down to 550m depth)
Basking Shark (usually 8-10 meters but up 14.. Related to and feed like the whaleshark)
We also have some species dropping by every now and then, but these are the most common to be seen here, so I guess the answer is generally "below recreational depths"?

Well, there are reports about Carcharodon carcharias in Mediterranean sea. There aren't places where you are sure to find them, but sometimes, in the summer mainly, great whites have been observed near the italian coast. Only sporadic events, of course.

As far as i know, some researcher are thinking about a "reproduction area" of the great whites between Sicily and Tunisia.

Ciao,
A.

yes there are... google is your friend :wink: and since I know you speak french, you can read this :

"On peut trouver le Grand Requin Blanc un peu partout dans les océans et les mers du globe. Il est bel et bien présent dans la mer Méditerranée et ses mers limitrophes (mer Adriatique, mer Tyrrhénienne, mer Ligurienne, mer des Baléares, mer Ionienne, mer Égée, mer de Marmara...). Depuis la raréfaction des requins blancs due à la pêche intensive et à la pollution, nos côtes sont quasiment dépourvues de danger; à peine une attaque de requin tous les trois ans, principalement en Italie du sud, dans la région de Malte, en Sicile, et en mer Adriatique où on le trouve en plus grand nombre (seulement 2 attaques officielles en France en plus d'un siècle, 8 en Italie). Avant l'avènement de la pêche moderne, les côtes européennes abritaient de nombreuses colonies de phoques moines et les eaux regorgeaient de bancs de poissons pélagiques. La Méditerranée de l'Antiquité grouillait alors de Grands Requins Blancs; décrites par Aristote, les attaques n'étaient pas rares et justifiaient dès cette époque la peur du requin en Méditerranée et ailleurs dans le monde."... extract from '+'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom