Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tingkka:
When i go shore diving, i have to tuck my car key somewhere safe. I usually take the key off the key ring and put it in the key holder provided behind my wetsuit.

but out of curiosity, those who do majority of diving via shore, where do you put your car keys? and especially for those that have the new electronic keys (mercedes and etc.), where do you put your key? i'm sure no one here goes diving with electronic keyless entry remote...right?

who hides their keys in the tire hub cap? or anywhere near the car, for that matter?

thanks for responding...i was just wondering how i should better store my keys.
Witz - See-it-Safe Clear Dry Box.

It's waterproof (at least as deep as 110') holds hotel and car keys, C-card, credit cards, even a little cash around your neck. It has a tapered 1/2" opening, takes a Lexus key with no problem. Closer on the lanyard to secure it around your neck. Choice of 4 colors.

I've had it at least 5 years now, not bad for a $6.00 investment. Bought it at my LDS locally. You can also get them here: (I'm not affiliated with them, just the first link I googled.) http://www.sharpdiver.com/index.php/cPath/57?osCsid=38802e088274e506980e73f1dc1a7bff

Steve

<note to self> when next going shorediving check out other divers and where they hide their car keys! could make some serious money.

come on guys - are you serious?! you hide your keys in or on your car? you would NEVER get any refund on insurance if someone stole your car. you might as well just leave the car unlocked.

just dont do what i did, normally i have em in the pocket of my undersuit under my dry suit and they're kept plenty safe :D
but this one day i was teaching a rescue course, suddenly i got this feeling, put my hand into my drysuit pocket and found my keys...i forgot to put 'em in my undersuit. That's bad enough, so out i get, walking back to my car to dry off the key i'm kinda shaking the key ring to get the heavy wet off, and next of all -- snap--pop--splash--main car key breaks off the keyring from me shakin too hard and drops back in the water :headshake . Go figure.

At least it was fresh water, once it was dry it was fine! although i did replace the battery in it just in case :wink:

lostinspace:
<note to self> when next going shorediving check out other divers and where they hide their car keys! could make some serious money.

come on guys - are you serious?! you hide your keys in or on your car? you would NEVER get any refund on insurance if someone stole your car. you might as well just leave the car unlocked.

I was actually thinking of keeping my car unlocked, but didn't feel like taking the chances. I thought of hiding near the car somewhere, but i was afraid that there might be few scubaboard members "checking me out" :eyebrow:

i dive with my keys, but i'm afraid of it rusting out on me. i'm definitly going to get the keyless entry keypad thing on my next car, but until then...i'm thinking of a dry suit. hehe.

leave the keys in the ignition so I don't lose them, same as at home - save a lot of time and effort hunting for them in the mornings

I take the DIR approach to securing my key. I take cave line and secure it, with a proper knot :censored: . The learned muscle motion let's me find it without having to think about where it is.

Edited by NetDoc

I leave the electronic remote locked in the car and my key in my shoe in my bag. That way, someone would have to either know exactly which car I drive and exactly which bag is mine or they would have to go around checking to see which door the key unlocks. If they are going to go to that much trouble, they are going to steal the car anyway. That is what insurance is for......

Or, you could always park next to a nicer car....which one would you steal, the 5 year old Cherokee or the 2 year old BMW?

Back
Top Bottom