Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here in lies a problem, the vehicle I use for my diving has keyless entry and every vehicle I own from now on, I want keyless entry. Everyone I dive with knows the combo because they all put their keys in my vehicle.

When I was searching for a new truck, I noticed that the Fords have this cool keypad thingie on the side... A combination lock. I drove all the full-sized trucks available on the market, but really liked the Fords and Dodges best.

Trying to decide between the two wasn't easy, but the final deal-maker was the keypad (admittedly with a few other "neatocool" features) that the Ford had. Now, I pull the keys out of the ignition, drop them in the center console (so they don't tempt anyone to break glass to steal the truck), and lock up the truck while I'm diving. What a great feature...

My dive buddy knows my combination, too, so whoever gets there first can unlock the truck.

The other day, I was at a Ford dealership, when I noticed that they're now selling the combination locks as a seperate unit, aftermarket. These units have the internal workings of a "clicker" key fob remote, but are stuck permenantly to the driver's door, with a numerical keypad. Type in the right combination, and your locks will open. Requres that your car is equipped with remote locks, obviously. Great feature, though... And nobody is going to find your hidden key.

Quick story about keys - once, RavenC and I had driven from SC to FL to dive Ginnie Springs... After surfacing from an hour-long dive, I noticed that her mini Pelican box type of "drybox" (this little three inch thingie) that she had clipped off to her BC was open and flopping around... I pointed it out, and a look of terror came over her face. She'd had her keys in it - the only keys for her car this side of Georgia.

Luckily, this happened on our first dive, and we had more breathing gas to be able to retrace our steps and find her key. More than a mile from Ginnie's dive shop, after hours, and two States from home, we'd have had a serious problem.

Prior to buying the Ford, I always found it was best to hide the keys inside of my unlocked car. Sometimes I instead opted to keep my keys in my dive bag, on the boat, but they always managed to get wet, nasty, and even lost in there.

While in Eastern Spain last summer, I lost my car key in the Mediterranean. In a land where nobody spoke English or Spanish, only French and German. It was an interesting afternoon. I would not recommend this.

You know SeaJay,

I almost bought a Ford for the exact same reason! That is a great feature and I wish more manufacturers offered it. However, I decided to not go in debt and bought a used Isuzu instead.

:06:
lostinspace:
<note to self> when next going shorediving check out other divers and where they hide their car keys! could make some serious money.

come on guys - are you serious?! you hide your keys in or on your car? you would NEVER get any refund on insurance if someone stole your car. you might as well just leave the car unlocked.
I can't believe someone would be more concerned about their car than their own saftey!! The last thing we do before hitting the water is to make a emergency plan. This involves hiding the keys(usually in the gas tank door). If something happens, and you have the keys on you, then what??? At least if you hide them on the vehicle and something happens, someone might be able to help.Not to mention the likleyhood of losing them is just about nil. In response to leaving the car open, not a bad idea. If you have something to steal, you will probably wind up with a broken window, and your stuff ripped off,(double bummer!!) Don't leave anything visible, put it in the trunk,or don't bring it with you, also remove the face from stereo if you can. Please don't dive with your keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving along from my previous post, I do keep an entry key on me when I dive. Most wetsuits have a small key pocket located in them somewhere.

Whenever I get a new vehicle I have just a simple flat key made at the local Home Depot. This key is unobtrusive and can fit anywhere in my swimsuit, wetsuit, wetsuit bootie . . . numerous places to store a key on your person when diving. That way you always know where it is and don't try to have to remember where it was that you hid it.

chris hecker:
:06:
I can't believe someone would be more concerned about their car than their own saftey!! The last thing we do before hitting the water is to make a emergency plan. This involves hiding the keys(usually in the gas tank door). If something happens, and you have the keys on you, then what??? At least if you hide them on the vehicle and something happens, someone might be able to help.Not to mention the likleyhood of losing them is just about nil. In response to leaving the car open, not a bad idea. If you have something to steal, you will probably wind up with a broken window, and your stuff ripped off,(double bummer!!) Don't leave anything visible, put it in the trunk,or don't bring it with you, also remove the face from stereo if you can. Please don't dive with your keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, seriously Chris, get real! If I'm injured and somebody else has to smash my car window to get at my oxygen kit or whatever, so be it.

If we get out of the water and the car's gone because someone found the oh-so-well-hidden keys, then what? Cell phone gone, first aid kit gone, oxy kit gone, food gone... And you're left out in the middle of nowhere without transport and without essential equipment.

As for my key - my car only responds to a built-in chip, the doors won't open with a copy - they go in a plastic, watertight "egg", which I've had for four years now. It's accompanied me to -56m already and never a drop of water in sight.

lostinspace:
you hide your keys in or on your car? you would NEVER get any refund on insurance if someone stole your car. you might as well just leave the car unlocked.
In some cases I DO leave it unlocked. A prime example is at Honolua Bay on Maui, a place notorious for thieves breaking into tourist's cars. My car key, credit card, and a couple $20 bills go into my swimsuit. The car windows are rolled down partway and doors unlocked. That way I don't end up with a broken window from some lowlife trying to steal stuff.

Credit cards and hotel magnetic room keys survive saltwater nicely. Nobody has ever rejected my money because it's wet.

I carefully chose swimsuits that either have a full zipper or velcro seal that goes all the way across the pocket.

NetDoc:
You know SeaJay,

I almost bought a Ford for the exact same reason! That is a great feature and I wish more manufacturers offered it. However, I decided to not go in debt and bought a used Isuzu instead.

Can't say that I blame you. :D

Yeah, the keypad thingie is one of my favorite features on the truck, along with the fairly good-sounding stereo, fully automatic climate controls (why doesn't every car manufacturer do this?), auto day/night rearview mirror... I mean, these things should be available on every car/truck as far as I'm concerned. They simply make driving more of a pleasure, and safer, too. With cell phones, crazy drivers, torn-up roads, and the works, today's driver can be pretty busy - I really like the fact that Ford's done what they can to take some of the mundane tasks that a driver faces daily and automates them. I feel the same way about "hands free" cell phones. If I'm gonna use it on the road, "hands free" is the way to go.

Then there's the basic things about the truck that I am in love with... The giant bed (for lots of gear), the ability to pull a boat, lots of space... Those things are a true luxury after coming from a BMW.

You know, Doc, if you take your Isuzu down to the local Ford dealer, they can install a door keypad for you for a minimal charge... I thought that was pretty cool.

I can't believe someone would be more concerned about their car than their own saftey!!

[snip]

Don't leave anything visible, put it in the trunk,or don't bring it with you, also remove the face from stereo if you can. Please don't dive with your keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second that, for the same reasons. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom