Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my undersuit pocket.

We have a van set up for diving and we just leave the key in the van somewhere, unlocked-gasp. But we don't have much car theft here. We do shut the doors to the van when we go under :)

DrDuktayp

tingkka:
...for those that have the new electronic keys (mercedes and etc.), where do you put your key? ...
Depending on the make of car , sometimes you can have a key made using a "non-immobilizer" blank . These are very cheap compared to immobilizer keys . They will unlock doors but not start the car . Lock you electronic key in the car and take the "non-immobilizer" key with you . Check with your dealer or locksmith for details .

FatCat:
No, seriously Chris, get real! If I'm injured and somebody else has to smash my car window to get at my oxygen kit or whatever, so be it.

If we get out of the water and the car's gone because someone found the oh-so-well-hidden keys, then what? Cell phone gone, first aid kit gone, oxy kit gone, food gone... And you're left out in the middle of nowhere without transport and without essential equipment.

As for my key - my car only responds to a built-in chip, the doors won't open with a copy - they go in a plastic, watertight "egg", which I've had for four years now. It's accompanied me to -56m already and never a drop of water in sight.
Thank you. I own a towing buisness. I know for a fact a locked vehicle wont stop a thief. When your egg leaks,& the chip shorts out, or something happens,(like you don't come back and your buddy can't find the key) I only charge $47.50 to hookup your vehicle and $2.00 per mile to the dealer, or a locksmith charges $200 & can't do anything about the chip.(is that real??) p.s. a lockout is $45.00 plus milage.

Usually clip mine inside a BCD pocket....and then have to lick off the key, ha ha, when I get back to shore (don't like salt water in the ignition system....) Sometimes I'd bury it in the sand near a tire....did that once on a night dive, reached down where I knew the key to be, came up with a handful of......moving.....sand..... Turns out there was coincidentally a small crab in exactly the same place. Better than haunted car keys, I guess.

The Kraken:
Most wetsuits have a small key pocket located in them somewhere.

I have a Bare and a Bodyglove suit and I can't convince myself to trust that pocket out back near the zipper.

I've been freediving until now but It seems like a secure set-up should be possible in a BC some where. I'll find out next year.

We both carry keys, I greee with the concern mentioned about one diver taking the one set of keys.

Pete

I would just put a key in a locked box outside of the car. Everybody that need to know the code, would know it, including my buddies if they needed O2.
The key is not hidden in a tire, in the unlocked car, but is safe.

If there's no designateed bubble watcher/car key holder (CBulla is great for this since he can't dive right now :wink: ) I keep a separate key in my bathing suit pocket and leave the remote and ignition key in the car.

I've learned two valuable lessons over the years regarding car keys and diving. The first was to make sure that the extra key you bring is the correct one for the car you're driving. The second is that after rushing to get geared up and not taking the remote out of my swim suit pocket is that small electronic devices and batteries do not like seawater much.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom