Where can I dive with paddlefish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
What lakes and quarries within reasonable distance of Louisville Kentucky have paddlefish (or other large fish like sturgeons)? I would like to dive amongst these ancient animals.

Paddlefish prefer very turbid water, meaning poor to nonexistent visibility. Good luck.

Some of the local quarries have them but I can't remember which ones. I think it is Martha's but it could have been Mermit.

Help me out guy's I know the KPP know where they are. :D

Chad

ckharlan66:
Some of the local quarries have them but I can't remember which ones. I think it is Martha's but it could have been Mermit.

Help me out guy's I know the KPP know where they are. :D

Chad

Mermert Springs in Il. Pretty awesome to see up close.

http://www.mermetsprings.com/

I believe they have some paddlefish in Hidden Paradise which is just SE of Indianapolis.

Gilboa Quarry has a few Paddle fish. You can click on the linkand then go down to the mpegs to see paddle fish. One of the members of our club was able to get them on film a couple of years ago.

Gilboa Quarry has paddle fish and also a sturgeon, though "Sturgeon General" hasn't been seen much since he has been put in so there is no paticular way to spot him yet, the paddle fish get seen often if you know how to look for them. one www.threeriversdiveclub.com under the picture section there are a few taken two weeks ago at the quarry.

Yes, Gilboa has them, and we have seen them...they do exist.

However, they are NOT easy to find. I've been to that quarry a lot and have only seen them once. If you decide to go looking, be prepared to feel "lost" b/c where they hang out, is on the deep side in "mid" water away from all the divers.

Lauren0Liz:
Gilboa Quarry has paddle fish and also a sturgeon, though "Sturgeon General" hasn't been seen much since he has been put in so there is no paticular way to spot him yet, the paddle fish get seen often if you know how to look for them. one www.threeriversdiveclub.com under the picture section there are a few taken two weeks ago at the quarry.

Those are some of the best pics I've seen of the paddlefish at Gilboa. Nice work!

France Park near Logansport In also has a bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom