Where can I dive with paddlefish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda,
Thanks for directing divers interested in Paddlefish to our web site. We appreciate your kind words and support. Gilboa Quarry offers many great photo opportunities.
Mark

Holy cow! I didn't realize the photos represented fish 2 meters long until I read the captions. Animals that big are pretty stinking rare. Even accounting for underwater magnification, those specimens are huge!

archman:
Holy cow! I didn't realize the photos represented fish 2 meters long until I read the captions. Animals that big are pretty stinking rare. Even accounting for underwater magnification, those specimens are huge!

A little curious.....what do they EAT?????

They must eat a lot of it......when they run of out "it" do they like to substitute neoprene snacky treats???? :11:

Paddlefishes are the basking sharks of freshwater. They swim around with their mouths agape and filter out the plankton. That's why they prefer turbid water... more goodies. I guess that would explain the remarks about these monster specimens floating out in the middle of the lake.

Personally the only live ones I've seen are small 1-footers at the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans. I feel so cheated now.

Mermet Springs has several Paddlefish and Sturgeon. I've seen them many times.

detroit diver:
Those are some of the best pics I've seen of the paddlefish at Gilboa. Nice work!

Those are Marks pictures, and they are awesome, the last one is my favorite, i don't know if i have ever seen one that good before!

archman:
Paddlefishes are the basking sharks of freshwater. They swim around with their mouths agape and filter out the plankton. That's why they prefer turbid water... more goodies. I guess that would explain the remarks about these monster specimens floating out in the middle of the lake.

Personally the only live ones I've seen are small 1-footers at the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans. I feel so cheated now.

Come on up to the heartland and we'll go lookin' for them together!!! :eyebrow:

Although if the fish is large enough might it try to 'filter' me???? :wink:

Amanda, I have added a few pics of the Paddlefish to my photo gallery.
I will be back to Gilboa for more photos soon!
Mark

This is a shot so good I wanted to share it. This photo was taken at Gilboa Quarry. I stopped at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago on the way back from Our World Underwater last weekend. The paddlefish there are very tiny and look like a different species of fish. Gilboa has the best Paddlefish specimens I have seen, anywhere, hands down…

What do you think?

Attachments

• Gilboa Paddle Fish.jpg
    Gilboa Paddle Fish.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 1,939
Although if the fish is large enough might it try to 'filter' me???? :wink:

I won't even touch that one! :D

I did my AOW at Mermet when I saw my first. My buddy was doing the navigation part of the course and we about ran into one. It was awesome!! My buddy about crapped his wet suit since he didn't know what it was and didn't see it till it saw us.

Hidden Paradise has paddle fish. They are small but they are there.

Back
Top Bottom