Where did this little devil come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm, that is exactly what I'm doing bro....I'm not diving, I'm going over my gear.

Apologies.

Just curious if that o-ring hadn't fallen off, would you have known about the spool?

Here is the hose that came with the PSI gauge...the spool is in there and I placed the O Ring I found back into the end..

2018-08-31_03-59-27

The new hose, 32" hose is now on my first stage without a spool...so I need to find the right size spool for the new hose.

Apologies.

Just curious if that o-ring hadn't fallen off, would you have known about the spool?
Probably? But regardless this thread will certainty help someone else down the road!

Having a spool between the hose and the SPG (your "PSI gauge") allows the gauge to be rotated while under high pressure. Very useful, if one wants to actually read the gauge.

Flyboy. The spool is specific to the SPG. Not the hose. For now just reuse that spool in the new hose. You will need to order the specific spool for your gauge/SPG. There are three types but only two commonly used.

What model SPG do you have and/or does the old spool have a ridge/disc in the middle? You can also just get new o-rings but they can be a pita to replace.

Flyboy. The spool is specific to the SPG. Not the hose. For now just reuse that spool in the new hose. You will need to order the specific spool for your gauge/SPG. There are three types but only two commonly used.
Understood. My SPG is a HOG, so I assume this one...?

HP Spool

looks identical to the one currently "stuck" in the 6" hose.

Yep but I prefer this price...

DGX Air Spool w/ Viton O-Rings for SPG Swivel

But those spools are a bit more robust so I wouldn’t hesitate to clean and reuse. Its also the easiest to replace the o-rings since you have the platform to help stabilize it while pulling the oring over the ends.
Just ordered 3 for $4.50 with shipping of $7.60...LOL!

Thanks man! I appreciate yours and the others time...

Yes you do. At least I have never seen an SPG that doesn’t use one. It fits between the end of the hose and the SPG. If you haven’t already take the hose off and check 1) if the spool is still there, 2) has an o-ring on each end.

Modern SPG's yes but many of the original ones did not use a spool, the SPG had a beveled compression fitting on it. If you look in many hoses, the bevel still exist and you can use the hoses on the old school SPGs. Also, a few later SPGs had a protrusion that looks like a spool and used the same oring but was not removable. Just a bit of scuba history.

Modern SPG's yes but many of the original ones did not use a spool, the SPG had a beveled compression fitting on it. If you look in many hoses, the bevel still exist and you can use the hoses on the old school SPGs. Also, a few later SPGs had a protrusion that looks like a spool and used the same oring but was not removable. Just a bit of scuba history.
Thanks Herman. Good to know. That’s why I specifically added that caveat since I am a relative noobie at this. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom