Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

went to the wreck of the islander for the first time
not a bad dive but from what i have been told it used to be much better

Two drift dives in the Chippawa/Welland River which is near the Niagara River, Niagara Falls Ont. on Sunday, lots of fun zipping down the channel looking for old bottles, golf clubs and other assorted junque. Saw the old Studebaker car which I've been trying to see for several dives. Water viz about 15 ft, temps a toasty 50F.

This is a quirky dive site, as the Welland River (also called the Chippawa, as it flows through the town of Chippawa where James Cameron, film maker was born) used to flow *into* the Niagara River just above the Falls. The Ontario Hydro (Electric) Company cut a canal into the Welland River a couple of kilometers upstream of the Niagara, and diverts the Welland River into the hydroelectric turbines, so the part between the canal and the Niagara river flows *backwards* to the canal.

If the direction of the current in the Chippawa slows or changes, get out, as the hydro company is doing something to the maintenance of the turbines and you don't want to be in the river. Really.

Paddy's Head & Fox point, NS on weekend. Water at 46F now.

Wow, the St Lawrence River at Ivy Lea is 58F freaking degrees in May!!! This will be a great Victoria Day long weekend for diving!!

Sitting here at my campsite looking over the river, just jump in off the dock here, the current takes you around underneath the Ivy Lea bridge over to the States, then hang a left and land at the beach.

Lots of perch, too bad we can't spearfish in Ontario.

*edit* ok so it was 58F in the shallower channel by my campsite, this morning out in the main river it is 51F.

Last edited:
Yesterday for Oh Canada Day holiday a bunch of us went to Sarnia, Ontario, to do some drift dives in the St Clair River.

The water viz was great, 45 ft, and the temp was for me, amazing at 69F.
We did the Superman drift, where you start off a beach where all of Lake Huron is coming pouring down into the St Clair river. The current there is measured by Environment Canada as between 5-8 knots depending on conditions. If you try and hold onto medium to large sized stones they are just ripped out of the bottom by the force of the current. You go under the Bluewater Bridge, you'll know where you are coz the shadow of the bridge shows up on the drift. Come along the bottom and up the wall, don't surface in the boat channel.

The second dive was the Barge wreck. Here the shore current is upstream, so you climb down huge limestone block breakwaters to the water, gear up and go upstream till the eddy stops, then go down the slope to 35-40 ft and get on the express lane to the barge. Duck into the lee of the barge, stick your head up above the edge for mask ripping off current. Then drift off, climb up the huge sandbank to the rock wall at 20 ft, catch the eddy back upstream.

Like a merry go round, it was insanely fun. The viz was great and Caribbean blue, and the temps were line that too. I'll be back for sure!

Yesterday I finally drove up from NYC to dive the well known Fort Wetherill in Rhode Island. It was OK. Long trip for an hour plus of something pretty so-so.

Wet Wednesday to the Rothesay in Prescott on the St Lawrence. First time there. No hood was good :) , water temp was 19.4C (67F). Vis wasn't so good :(

Yesterday I finally drove up from NYC to dive the well known Fort Wetherill in Rhode Island. It was OK. Long trip for an hour plus of something pretty so-so.

It depends where you actually dove there. The best part is around the point when you go from the left cove to the right cover (boat ramp cove). It is a long surface swim and you will go down to around 110'. Beautiful wall!!!! You have to hug the wall around the point as to avoid drifting with the current into the channel or open ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom