Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove the Spiegel Grove today - there were plenty of others on the boat - I Was 'solo' taking video.

Just wondering what boat let you dive the SG solo? How 'bout a few details, or maybe even some vid? Do you have a special relationship with the boat owner/captain?

We've been having a heat wave here, so I played hooky this morning to dive. First I checked out my favorite shore dive, Monastery Beach in Carmel. It's nicknamed "Mortuary Beach" because of the historically high fatality rate among divers who don't know how to dive it, but I am appropriately cautious about it when diving solo. After about 1/2 hour of waffling, I decided it was not a good day to dive alone there due to the slightly high surf, despite the (very unusual for Carmel) apparently 100-foot viz. So I headed to my backup site, Breakwater Cove in Monterey. This is the site that all the classes use, and it is typically mucked up, but on weekdays it can be nice.

My prudence was rewarded. On the way out, in about 12 feet of water, I saw my first shark. He was a leopard, about 5 feet, and was MUCH more scared of me than I ever could have been of him. He took off like a bat out of hell, but I got a pretty good look as he was leaving. Fun dive, and much better than working.

Dove Monastery last Wens. solo. Seas were calm. I only went to about 30 feet. I keep it conservative. Trying to work out some camera settings. I had 50ish foot viz. I talked to another "evil" solo diver who was coming out of the water while I was going in and he had 90 foot viz at the canyon.

Dove Leleiwi in Hilo solo today. Weather conditions here have been "less than optimal" for weeks, with an unusual "winter-like" weather pattern causing, well, "yucky" dive conditions. The weather got nicer for the past several days, so I was finally able to get "wet".

Water temp was a "balmy" 70-72 degrees (Hilo is the windward/rainy side, and is generally a bit cooler than Kona). Viz was about 30-40 feet, which is really pretty "marginal" for Hawaii, and even a bit low for Hilo. Hopefully it will improve as we start heading into summer.

But it was great to get back into the water and spend an hour in the shallows (20-50') with the turtles!

Best wishes.

30-40ft viz, jealous! :) Viz has been crap here lately though it was 6m yesterday! Also of the turtles, we don't have them locally and I loved seeing them when I went on a dive trip up north :)

I got out for two solo dives yesterday. One buddy had the flu and the other one was doing rescue so I figured I'd take the opportunity for some dives alone. Did two shore dives, only 4-6m overall, 75mins each. I figured it was a nice sunny day and I would overheat too much on the surface in my drysuit so I took my wetsuit. Water was 15C though, colder than I expected, was fine for those two dives (though I kept them short) but I was a bit tired/cold for a third night dive which I had planned. Went to the dive shop and had a drink with some friends afterwards instead. I found the usual critters including a 2m stingray that was feeding, a nudi I had never seen before and lots of seahorses :)

I attached some pics I took. Strange nudi, a baby Giant Cuttlefish, a female Shaw's Cowfish and a Pot Belly Seahorse.

Attachments

• 3496926308_379c29bee3.jpg
    3496926308_379c29bee3.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 3496113073_c091340b13.jpg
    3496113073_c091340b13.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 3496925900_1226de48d6.jpg
    3496925900_1226de48d6.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 3496930738_dac783639e.jpg
    3496930738_dac783639e.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 244
Lovely pictures Sas!

My wife and kids are gonna have a cow(fish) :D when I show them the seahorse. I've never seen one diving.

Yeah, I know I'm very spoiled by the generally good viz in Hawaii (and exceptional viz in Kona). If it drops to 20 feet of viz I think it's a "silt-out", and panic :D

Keep posting those photos Sas, they are fun to look at.

Best wishes

Dove Canyon Ferry Lake, Montana on Sunday. Short dive, about 30 minutes. Water looked crystal clear in the shallows but had about 10 feet of vis. at depth. Water temp at depth was 43. Had one Rainbow come up to me but that was it for wildlife.

Sat 02 May, The Skyscraper pinnacle on an X-Scooter, between Wilson & Richardson Rocks, NW of San Miguel, (Northern Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary California). 51m/170' max depth, multi-level to 18m/60', Vytec Computer showed 10min of mandatory deco with ceiling at 3m/10'; viz about 18m/60' with good clarity at depth, varying moderate to strong current at depth & surface, water temperature 9deg C/48deg F; backgas & deco gas was just air mix 21%. . .

Dove Hollywood Beach, FL at night to do some spearfishing. It is allowed under certain conditions (relative to bagging the fish before swimming and walking among bathers). Outgoing tide reduced visibility, but still got enough snapper for dinner. A half moon lit the water when I surfaced about 40 yds from shore on returning, but my attention was drawn to a police boat with flashing light puttering north of me, sweeping the water to shore with his spotlight. Someone may have seen my dive flag with chemlite attached and thought trouble was afloat (a lot of tourist panic and do such things). I haven't heard anything more of the incident.

I dive this same site at night almost weekly with no trouble at all. Max depth on the reef is about 30 feet.

Back
Top Bottom