Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobermory, Lighthouse Point, 70 ft, 32 min.

Viz 50 ft water temp 41F

Insanely warm temps! :D

Warm enough that the crayfish were not only out, but uhm, doin' it. Or something. :wink:

Plus, the Chee-Chi-Maun Ferry made what I assume was her first trip down from South Baymouth, Manitoulin Island where she overwinters. You feel the rumble of her engines a long way off underwater, and it surprized me....not expecting that sound yet. I say first trip because she didn't blow her horn the way she does to alert those dozing in the parking lot that she's in port.

I got in two solo dives yesterday, and a third dive at night with a buddy. Viz was not great on first two dives 1-3m depending on where I was. The first dive had bad viz due to the water being filled with these tiny little shrimp, they were just everywhere. Didn't even bother turning on the camera after the first five minutes :) The second dive was awesome and there were so many fish! Usually I do this site at night so was nice to see it during the day as I'd forgotten how much fish life there was around. The viz got down below 1m in some places and it was so much easier diving in this kind of environment alone than with a buddy, didn't have to be always checking they were near by :)

I took a few pictures as well (attached) :) A Northern Pacific Seastar (these are pests and the pier was covered a few weeks ago but someone must've cleaned it up as there were only a few around today), school of Old Wives, pygmy leatherjacket looking like it is going to be eaten by Pacman, and my first live Wollongong bug (found lots of dead ones before).

Lead, saw a bunch of seahorses but all my pics turned out crap of those! Do you just not get seahorses over your way? Or are they rare?

Attachments

• Northern Pacific Seastar.jpg
    Northern Pacific Seastar.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Old Wives.jpg
    Old Wives.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Pacman.jpg
    Pacman.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Wollongong Bug.jpg
    Wollongong Bug.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 164
The first dive had bad viz due to the water being filled with these tiny little shrimp, they were just everywhere.

Good thing you didn't have to change regulators or you might have had fresh seafood.

...pygmy leatherjacket looking like it is going to be eaten by Pacman, and my first live Wollongong bug (found lots of dead ones before).

That leatherjacket shot is funny, and the Wollongong bug is prehistoric looking. Thanks for the pics.

Did a nice solo dive last evening at my local mudhole. I went down looking for PSL's (aka "golf ball fish"). Found one ... chased him around for about 12 minutes at 90 fsw, then had to head back upslope. Some "evidence" ...

IMG_3181.jpg

At one point the little bugger swam right into my camera lens ...

IMG_3182.jpg

Couple other little lovelies on the way up ...

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

Max depth 96 fsw, total dive time 72 minutes, vis 5 to 15 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Terrific photos as always Bob, thanks for posting them!

Best wishes.

...Lead, saw a bunch of seahorses but all my pics turned out crap of those! Do you just not get seahorses over your way? Or are they rare?

Nice pics again Sas!

RE Hawaiian seahorses: My understanding is that there are seahorses in Hawaii, but they are rarely seen. I've never been lucky enough to see one. It may be that in Hawaii they live a bit deeper than recreational scuba depths? I'm really not sure. I'll keep looking for them :D

Best wishes.

Breakwater, Monterey on Saturday 5/9. Lots of classes going on and mucky water, but cleared up around at 40-50 feet. Pretty uneventful but saw lots of rainbow nudibranchs munching on worms, and no other divers which always makes diving solo that much better. Water temp was about 53-55 and vis was 15-30, better farther out.

Did a nice solo dive last evening at my local mudhole. I went down looking for PSL's (aka "golf ball fish").
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So I can see where the obsession with photographing them comes from...cute fish!

Plus the pipefish is wonderful, too.

Took an early and extra-long lunch break today :D , and went for a solo shore dive here in Hilo at Leleiwi. The current nice weather was just too inviting.

Just a single "quickie" dive, spent just under an hour hangin' with the sea turtles and one particularly cute nudibranch (sorry, no camera today :depressed: ).

The nice thing about being solo on a dive like this is that I could just hover in one spot
for 5 minutes looking for small critters or watching turtles without my partner getting bored.... the bad thing about being solo on a dive like this is there were so many cool critters to point out, but no one to show them to! :doh2:

I'm back in the office now, sigh.

Best wishes.

Back up to Tobermory with my new Salvo light. Went on a 73 minute dive at the lighthouse, 73 minutes long, water temp 47F. Saw a number of carp and some little native fish I can't identify yet. Not the invasive gobis, I know what they look like all too well.

Back
Top Bottom