Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On Monday shore solo dive porth trecastell north Wales. 18 degrees C in water 25 out. Viz approx 8 metres. Nice, very shallow dive.

Reactions: Ana
Solo from our boat. A few miles south of Hillsboro Inlet in Pompano Beach.

Small chunk of reef that most charters skip because is just too small for a bunch of divers.
One of my favorite spots. A bit of a rollercoaster with depths changing from almost 70 to about 40 and down to 60 and up again. With many deep holes in the coral big enough for turtles to nap quietly.

Water temp was 85 F, no thermoclines, and a slight north current.

Tons of fish, couple of small lionfish, a school of barracuda, couple of big turtles and many survivors from last week's mini-season. Coming up I noticed the rain topside, I heard it before I could see it.
Dozens of bait fish jumping on the surface, quite a scene seeing them from below. Is too bad the time goes so fast underwater, I stayed 54' but felt like 14.

Will try to do it again tomorrow.

Was fortunate to go out again today.
Skies were gray and there were thunderstorms all around us but the seas were down. We did some chores in the house before getting underway.

Decided to go to the very same location in Pompano Beach. I actually dropped my husband in the exact same spot as yesterday.
When it was my turn to go, most of the storms were north of us but still raining, felt good splashing in the 86°f water.
The reef was so alive, didn't see turtles today but after checking little things in the bottom I kinda felt a presence it was a black tip shark swimming away from me. I guess he came close to check me out and kept on going. It's been a long while since I've seen one. Nurse and bulls are typically what I see. I was hoping to see him again or maybe a different one but didn't happen.
There was almost zero current, one could feel some resistance with the flag swimming north but not very much. it was perfect conditions for checking nooks and crannies, which is why missed the shark approaching me, no big deal, I'll pay more attention next weekend.
I think I'll comeback to the same area.

Wife and I went out yesterday with a couple of friends, so not really a solo day. The seas were beautiful and that made up the difference.

But today? Just my wife and I. The seas were glass. I made the first dive. Just me, no one to distract me. Looking for lobster, even got a couple. Talk about a nice recharge. Dove in 50 to 60 feet on the third reef south of Hillsboro Inlet.

Then it was the wife's turn. After she went down I straightened up the deck a bit, turned on some music and started chilling. There wasn't much traffic to watch for, I guess everyone got their share yesterday. But I realized that being alone in the boat, watching the flag, on calm seas, with good music, well, it's almost as relaxing as the dive. Oh, cocktail hour commences upon recovery of the last diver.

One solo dive at the local quarry this weekend, looking for a fin someone lost. Didn't find it (vis was 1-3 ft at the bottom), but found some other stuff I hadn't seen in the quarry before.

Last Tuesday a solo dive at Loch Long in Scotland. An enjoyable dive as my buddy had gone shopping after an earlier dive! A typical Scottish ''muck'' dive, highly enjoyable .

Did two solo dives yesterday (and two with buddies). first dive didn't go great. My primary light (new one I'd only used once before) decided to start flashing on and off right about the time I got to my planned depth to start looking for lost gear. Switched to backup and called the dive.

Second dive I went with my old primary light instead and it went much better. Got down to the bottom of the quarry, started my search for gear and just as I reached my planned bottom time I found the mask my nephew dropped in the quarry on the 4th of July this year. Took a leisurely ascent happy that I'd managed to find it.

I planned to dive Loggerhead this AM, but lot was full.
Got a spot beachside on El Mar.
Water clarity was exceptional today compared to Friday.
Got to see a Manta Ray up close, tarpon, spotted moray, nurse shark and reef squid. In between saw the usual cast of tropical characters.
90 min.

Another great weekend off Pompano. This summer is been wonderful as far as flat seas, may get a bit bumpy in the afternoons but the mornings are expectacular. I think we've been able to dive 3 if not 4 times more than last year.
Today I got to see a small school of squid, was fun to play with them.
Temperature is also holding at mid 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom