Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got in a nice one on saturday in the Boston Harbor islands... I ended a 45 minute dive to 35 feet with a bag full of sea scallops and a nice big lobster. :)

Wow, solo on mixed gases. My hero. Someday I'd like to be at that level. Right now I've decided no solo deco, solo mixed-gas or solo cave diving for me. Yet.

Sounds like you had a challenging dive.

It wasn't any big whoop, really ... the dive was barely outta recreational limits in terms of average depth and bottom time, and I could easily have done it on EAN30 and backgas deco. I decided to use 25/25 to keep my head a bit more straight, and ascend on EAN50 because I knew I would be doing a drifting ascent and it just gave me more options if something went wrong ... and a bit of a safety cushion if it didn't.

As it turned out, with the visibility and current I'm glad I made the choices I did ... it just helped make the dive less stressful.

That's the thing about solo diving ... it's a good time to put a bit more effort than normal into asking yourself what can go wrong, and planning your dive to give you as many options as possible. If I'd been diving with a buddy, it's quite likely I'd have chosen either a more "recreational" breathing gas or planned a more aggressive dive.

For sure there's an awful lot of that ship I didn't see ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pulled off 4 dives at Catalina on Wed & Thurs (2 each day). Max depth on one dive was 61fsw. Nice sandy area with a reef and some kelp along the shore to skirt around and enjoy. Average depth was about 45fsw and even as shallow as 15 in some spots. Viz was better on Thursday as the sun popped out for the dive. Can't beat the clear water of Catalina for us So Cal folks.

A bonus was having taking my 5 and 7 year old daughters on their first snorkeling adventure. I'll never forget the sounds coming from their snorkels as the fish swam under us. Awesome!

My 5 year old saw a Garibaldi swim under us as we passed over it her head continued to follow it. She learned the don't dunk your snorkel lesson, but worked through it and we continued on to see more. Can't beat that QT with the kiddos.

I did four solo dives over the week-end in Neah Bay ... which is where Puget Sound meets the Pacific Ocean. Among the highlights of the dives were a 10-minute "walkabout" with a Giant Pacific Octopus (and this one was truly a giant, with tentacles in excess of 7 or 8 feet in length) and diving with gray whales who were there to feed among the krill clouds (sadly I didn't see one underwater, but one did swim within about 100 feet of me on the surface while I was waiting for the boat to come pick me up).

Mr. Octopus ...

IMG_3988.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A rarity for me: I did a solo dive in a 5ml wetsuit in Ontario! I was down in Brockville and Rockport for a long weekend of diving in the balmy St. Lawrence River: 70 degrees F with no thermocline.

Did a dive off the shore in Brockville's Centeen Park, 36 min, 35 feet and seventy degrees. Some little perch and other small native to Onario fish I don't know the names of.

For August and September the St. Lawrence warms up to somewhere in the 70's due to the surface water of Lake Ontario being warmer, too. Excellent!

Did 3 dives today. Launched out of Dana Point, CA and dove some kelp paddies (San Mateo Point), sandy flats (The Domes), then some mixed sand and rock bottom with lots of kelp (Salt Creek). Kinda choppy sea conditions did not allow for very good viz.

Made 5 solo dives at Tablerock lake in Missouri early last week. All 5 at different sites on the lake. (had my boat with me) The First one was to 78ft for 49min, 2nd - 68ft for 35min, 3rd- 54ft for 23min, (treasure hunting on that one, my pockets and hands were full):) 4th - 67 for 40, and 5th - 70ft for 28min all short dives but had family along and didn't want to keep them waiting. Vis was 7 to 10 above 30 and below 50 it was 35 to 40 water deep was around 57deg f.

Hi Dalyup,

I, too, love the occasional solo dive in Table Rock Lake! I probably wouldn't offer this unsolicited advice, except I read your profile which reads that you have fewer than 50 dives: Your first dive seems aggressive to me if in fact these were air dives. The US Navy Air Table for 50 min at 80 fsw would have put you in mandatory deco with your first dive, and I suspect you hadn't planned for that possibility. Now, I suspect you were using a computer and not diving a square profile, but if your computer had crapped out during the dive you would've resorted to tables as a back-up. When I solo rec dive--and I've done this more than a few times--I try to stay well away from these types of exposures. FWIW.

rx7diver thanks for your input and you're right probably a bit aggressive, and yes I do dive a computer, and have a backup, and carry a watch. No I don't do square diving tables anymore because of the reduced bottom times. There might be a slim poss. that two computers crap out but doubtful, if that would be the case though, terminate the dive.
Thanks again,
Rusty

I made a couple dives off Oahu's North Shore on Sunday;

The Helms Wall shore dive has a long surface swim at the start just to get beyond the large fringing reef (.4 miles on Google Earth). I continue surface swimming to make my descent at an incredible turtle cleaning pinnacle (.12 miles more). From this location I can make it all the way out to the end of the canyon wall (.28 miles, 50' ave. depth) and back (30' ave. depth) to the cleaning station (100 cft), as long as there are no special photography detours. Sunday there were unfortunately no special detours.

Looking at the tide calendar, using the Haleiwa correction, I started just after slack going from low to high. Mokule'ia is evidently not the same correction as Haleiwa, as the outgoing current helped me into the just starting 10:30 AM breeze (not quite slack - perfect). ~25 minutes of otter swimming, checking out the mountainside trying to remember my channel lineups from 4+ years ago. Only a couple gentle tank hits on the shallow reef, just like ridin' a bike.

~10 more minutes to the cleaning station. The spearfisher who's flag I'd been watching for the last hour and a half before splashing has also finally meandered to the same area of the wall. I float over him taking pictures as he peers over the edge; I don't think he ever saw me.

Dropping down, with a complete circumnavigation of the cleaning pinnacle, there are already a dozen turtles in sight. Heading out and down my strobe quits working at ~60'. I max out at 73' before noticing and climb back above 60' where it comes back on. Now relegated to above 65' I try not to be bummed. Lot's more turtles and many spooked fish what with the hunter bouncing his spear off the reef every now and then. Only cool predator on the way out is a viper moray, in a hard crack for photo's.

I push it a little below 1500 psi to the 55' deep pinnacle top of the rock just past the end of the canyon; sand depth 85-90'. Google Earth puts this spot ~.75 miles off the beach, but .82 miles as swum.

Heading back I stay at least 45' deep to get the full effect of the skinny side canyon I like to return through. The end of that crack forces you up to 25' to get over the reef top and back on the main wall. Can't go much lower than 40' at this point if I want to surface at my descent point (and the spearfisher's float).

Just have to take a couple more pics of the turtle cue, although this looks more like a melee. Now a swimming SS with my puck clearing just as breathing really slowed. I won't tell the ending pressure, but I dried my first stage cap and made air noise at the dive shop :)

That's jumping ahead by a little. I still have ~40 minutes of surface swimming after my 66 minute dive. The wind swell has kicked up pretty significantly as the wave faces were easy over 4' even though the ground swell is only listed at flat-1'. It's still pretty slack; I was expecting more push from the wind, waves and tide. The last quarter mile I mostly frog kick as the Gara 2000's are starting to break skin, and I do 6-8 mild current dives per week in these fins.

Finally, I'm ashore, 2 hours and 15 minutes after entry.

After lunch I head to Shark's Cove with an 80 cft. Talk about a change of pace; from deserted Mokule'ia to traffic jam Pupukea. Timing is everything and I luck out with a parking spot close to the showers. Two lds van loads are nearly ready; I'm too late to tag behind looking like I'm part of a group with a flag. No worries, the lifeguard does not seem to care.

Where I sit in 2' deep water to don fins there is a tourist snorkeler with no fins turning over boulders. I yank him up by his foot to ask him what he's doing. Looking for shells is his answer. I threaten to get out and call DLNR right now because this is a Marine Life Conservation District. Not only is it no take, it is also no disturb the geography! He tells me he will quit, I go diving.

I head to the far North point, not many tourist divers ever get there. I cruise through the main cavern features and when I'm most of the way across the last cove I find a small white tip reef shark under a big boulder. It's got a hook in it's mouth, but at least they threw it back! This area has been protected since '02 and this is the first time I've seen a shark at Shark's Cove!

Out at what some local instructor once called Wolf Cave, I'm struck by the lack of crustaceans. I search caverns for lobster, crab and shrimp to show guests off Lanai 2-4 days a week. Here alone I can spend even more time poking my nose into cracks and crevices; a couple banded coral shrimp and a small crab are all I can spot. Sure there are more hiding places here, but it feels like the neighbors to the North must be hunting and collecting, even though it's protected :shakehead:

On both dives I'm looking for different photo angles than I have from years ago, but my keepers are very few. I follow the inside edge of the cove and there is not more fish than I remember, which surprises me due it's protection for over 7 years now. I enjoy all the lava tubes, but it would be pretty depressing to guide here on a daily basis, even though that's a possible future for me.

85 minutes of wandering and not getting that many good shots, but at least I got wet :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom