Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived Hudson Grotto today. Had the place to myself. Was testing out a new pair of very heavy double HP130s and needed somewhere deep and reliable! The weather was terrible but the dive was good. I normally dive here on air but today I was on Nitrox and what a difference it made! Found lots of interesting items people had left to decorate the walls including a microwave and a coffee maker! Viz wasn't great but it was nice to get in the water.

Last "winter" dive yesterday at home in Eastern Passage. May-Oct. means driving to the summer spots for two a day dives.

Shallow first dive of 2021 today at a local lake. Surface was 55F (13 Celsius) and at 29ft it was 45F (7C), visibility was about 6ft; didn't see any fish unfortunately. I dove for 43 minutes, reacquainting with my gear, practiced hovering and a few kicks for the last 10 or so minutes.

Shallow first dive of 2021 today at a local lake. Surface was 55F (13 Celsius) and at 29ft it was 45F (7C), visibility was about 6ft; didn't see any fish unfortunately. I dove for 43 minutes, reacquainting with my gear, practiced hovering and a few kicks for the last 10 or so minutes.

Reading the numbers for this dive makes me wonder what would I do or be if I was in Canada, or pretty much anywhere above Latitude 30N or so.
I did a few solo dives this past weekend, temps were mid 70's F, water wasn't gin clear but I could see plenty (30 feet maybe more).
Considerable amount of fish, live crustaceans to play with, interesting coral formations; but I was freezing after minute 12 or so. Trying to not think about the cold, because I had tons of thermal protection, not like I'm running any risk of hypothermia. Depth was 45 to 60 feet and typically I would start going up after 58-60 minutes, and usually only as a courtesy to my husband that is waiting topside following the flag.
Not this weekend, around minute 30 I'm finning against the current to see if I can warm up a little, after ~40 minutes I'm admitting defeat and beginning my ascent. Getting on board and thanking my lucky stars that air temp is in the 80's and the sun feels soooooo good.

Thinking of you with nothing to distract you, just practicing some skills in water colder than my cocktails … makes me wonder what activity I would've chosen if I live in the tundra.

Reading the numbers for this dive makes me wonder what would I do or be if I was in Canada, or pretty much anywhere above Latitude 30N or so.
I did a few solo dives this past weekend, temps were mid 70's F, water wasn't gin clear but I could see plenty (30 feet maybe more).
Considerable amount of fish, live crustaceans to play with, interesting coral formations; but I was freezing after minute 12 or so. Trying to not think about the cold, because I had tons of thermal protection, not like I'm running any risk of hypothermia. Depth was 45 to 60 feet and typically I would start going up after 58-60 minutes, and usually only as a courtesy to my husband that is waiting topside following the flag.
Not this weekend, around minute 30 I'm finning against the current to see if I can warm up a little, after ~40 minutes I'm admitting defeat and beginning my ascent. Getting on board and thanking my lucky stars that air temp is in the 80's and the sun feels soooooo good.

Thinking of you with nothing to distract you, just practicing some skills in water colder than my cocktails … makes me wonder what activity I would've chosen if I live in the tundra.

We are products of our environment. I think if you take your OW in local conditions you can make a fair decision if you will dive often locally or on vacation. I know a lot of Canadians who are destination/travel divers; those that want to dive regularly use dry suits and get used to the environment. I dive fresh water and different areas in the Bay of Fundy (North Atlantic) the bay is colder all year with the warmest average time in August/September at about 57F while the coldest is around March at 37F. Fresh water can be in the mid to high 70F range in the summer and fall. Visibility where I normally dive is no better than 15-20 feet on a really good day and 8-10 on average. Being comfortable during my surface interval is important so I tend to wait for warmer days.

That being said I did love my Honduras dives, with great visibility and so little gear lol

Reactions: Ana
We are products of our environment. I think if you take your OW in local conditions you can make a fair decision if you will dive often locally or on vacation. I know a lot of Canadians who are destination/travel divers; those that want to dive regularly use dry suits and get used to the environment. I dive fresh water and different areas in the Bay of Fundy (North Atlantic) the bay is colder all year with the warmest average time in August/September at about 57F while the coldest is around March at 37F. Fresh water can be in the mid to high 70F range in the summer and fall. Visibility where I normally dive is no better than 15-20 feet on a really good day and 8-10 on average. Being comfortable during my surface interval is important so I tend to wait for warmer days.

That being said I did love my Honduras dives, with great visibility and so little gear lol

So my middle of winter 16C water temperature is considered a heat wave for you? :)

I've swam a fair bit in Fundy. My guess is the 57F summer water is because of no contact with the Gulf Stream. On the Atlantic side our winter temps. are the same, but summer high water temp. can reach 70, even a bit higher in warm summers.
In NYC in summer it can reach mid 70s. I use my shorty down there. Have even used it a few times up here.
Not everyone in Atl. Canada dives dry. I dive wet all winter (though only 1 dive in a day for 20 mins.).

I've swam a fair bit in Fundy. My guess is the 57F summer water is because of no contact with the Gulf Stream. On the Atlantic side our winter temps. are the same, but summer high water temp. can reach 70, even a bit higher in warm summers.
In NYC in summer it can reach mid 70s. I use my shorty down there. Have even used it a few times up here.
Not everyone in Atl. Canada dives dry. I dive wet all winter (though only 1 dive in a day for 20 mins.).

Perhaps, I'm hoping to dive some of NS this summer and specifically not Fundy lol. Possibly White's cove or that region, starting to research now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom