Where Divers Dare, The Hunt For The Last U-boat (story Of The U-550)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atedeschi

Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case you where not aware the book: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat, is now out on the shelves. It can be picked up at your local book store, online and hopefully your local dive shop.

This is the story of our groups successful search for the German Submarine the U-550, located off the Northeast Coast of the United States in over 100 meters of water. It's a great read detailing the battle in which the submarine and the tanker Pan Pennsylvania were sunk, our search for the wreck and subsequent dives, and meeting with some of the survivors and their family members from both sides of the conflict after the news of the discovery went international.

Please go check it out and if you do please make sure to leave reviews, questions or comments.
Amazon: Where Divers Dare: The Hunt for the Last U-Boat: Randall Peffer: 9780425276365: Amazon.com: Books
Walmart: Where Divers Dare: The Hunt for the Last U-Boat - Walmart.com
Barnes & Noble: Where Divers Dare: The Hunt for the Last U-Boat

Thanks,
The U-550 Discovery Team
promo.jpg

I have not heard any talk about a Audio book. I feel like that is something which comes later depending on how well the book sells go. Its up to the publisher and we have suggested it already. It is a pretty quick read though, but that doesn't help if your looking for something to do while driving.

I see its available on kindle too, looking forward to reading it on my way to Roatan.

Last edited:
I just finished your book, it was quite an interesting read. Gary Kozak has helped our group for over 30 years providing us with sonar repairs and expertise on our older units. I wish he would write a book one day as it would be a wreck hunters/ divers ultimate guide. The discovery of U-550 shows that with enough time and effort you will succeed if you have the drive. It took me 5 years and 11 other shipwrecks before I found the Hydrus and I still cannot stop hunting them. The book was very thorough in the searching parts and trying to hunt down as much information as it could to try and track the sub. The fact that the Pan Pennsylvania was floating upside down for a few days is an amazing story in itself. I know the part about an aircraft trying to jump you on site would have ticked me off. A few of us have lost wrecks because of them. A great story and in would recommend the book to anyone interested In diving and the perservence in finding a wreck.

Back
Top Bottom