Where do I go to learn the basics of Underwater videography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've been a lot of help. It's a shame all the other posts you made were lost. Anyway, that was really useful information about the different models of cameras. And actually, I can wait for a the Gates housing to come out for the SR7. My wife and I have decided to move to Saipan in this September rather than March of next year so I'm just going to be enjoying the access to great dive sites for the first time in my diving life.

We just got our own gear, which may have had something to do with wanting to move immediately, and I can spend the first few months just improving my dive skills and watch the camera markets.

Oddly enough, I came home today and my computer had crashed...so, it looks like this weekend I'll be having a friend here put together a new computer for me. I'll post the specs of the computer he just built himself and see if anyone has any suggestions or comments. So far, he's really pleased with the speed and performance of his. (I'm at a pc room now so I don't have the info with me)

I really appreciate all your insight on this stuff.

Brad

Hey Brad,
You might seriously think about buying a turnkey computer system rather than building one of your own. Self built has frequently proved to become very problematic. Don't recall whether you are a PC or Mac person but have at least 2 gigs of ram ( I run 3.5 gigs) and decide which editing NLE you want to use which will help you decide on the computer compatibility as well.
Steve:14:

Thanks for the advice Steve...I've appreciated all you've help explain so far and I'm gonna push that a bit further here.

Okay, I'm getting really close to the move to Saipan where I can begin diving any day I want. So, I've been climbing the walls trying to figure out whether to get a cheap camera and housing or if I could risk divorce and go for one of the video camera setups I'd mentioned before.

I think I've decided on a compromise (because I really don't want my wife to leave me). I'm pretty sure I'll get the Ikelite housing I mentioned in the very first posting of this thread. I already have the JVC MG37 digital (hard drive) camcorder. The Ikelite housing is about $800. The worst thing I see with this is that the housing doesn't have a way to adjust white-balance. I like my current camera because, as I've said, I don't like dealing with tapes and it's just so easy to download and then edit what I shoot.

There's an attachable wide-angle port UWL-100 Type 2 that can be purchased from Reefphoto for $330. I'm not sure about that. I found a few photos on the net showing the difference it makes and it is quite dramatic...but I'll have to wait until later for it I think.

My main question here is about lighting. The Ikelite webpage doesn't really explain which lighting systems work best with that kind of housing. (Prepare for me to expose the extent of my ignorance) The Ikelite webpage has two different sections for "Strobes" and "Lighting". That confuses me because I thought the strobe is the lighting system on an attaching arm. Is that wrong?

riverserf:
The Ikelite webpage has two different sections for "Strobes" and "Lighting". That confuses me because I thought the strobe is the lighting system on an attaching arm. Is that wrong?
A strobe system is for still photography. It uses "strobe" flash units to momentarily light your subject. Notice all the Substrobe units mention recycle time, that's the interval between flashes.

A Video Lighting system produces a constantly on (while filming) light source and is the correct one for video. Video lighting systems are designed to provide even, uniform illumination which eliminates shadows and "hotspots" in your footage.

Ikelite sells the Pro Video Lite 3 - better, more expensive systems are available from Nightrider, Greenforce and many other mfr's. Ultralight makes modular arm components for video systems.

Any of the better lighting technologies (HID) are going to cost more than your camera/housing combined...

I don't use lights so maybe someone else can answer more technical questions you might have. There's a pretty good video light primer and discussion on Wetpixel here.

Wow! All questions answered and fast too! Thanks, that clears up a lot. I really am slow sometimes. I probably will try to get away without a light in the beginning. If I just buy the housing, I can start working on actually getting used to filming before I worry about lights.

Thanks again and I'm sorry I keep throwing such stupid questions your way.....but your insight and advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Brad

riverserf:
I probably will try to get away without a light in the beginning. If I just buy the housing,
Should work fine, esp. in Saipan - it's clear, tropical and sunny there right?

And with the Ikelite you can remove the red correcting filter externally for shallow shots. Which you'll want to do above 15' or it will discolor everything.

I don't ever plan on buying lights. I'm shooting in the Caribbean now and will be in Indonesia or the South Pacific in 09'.

Consider is your target audience. If you're filming for your friends/family/YouTube, your setup is just fine.

If you're shooting for Discovery Channel, better put another $20K into your gear first.

Padi has a videography class in aow

Hey there,

Not trying to toot my own horn but I have been in the industry for more than fifteen years as an instructor. I just created two instructor training manuals on The Production Course and How to Shoot Underwater Video for SDITDI training agency. They will be using the DVD, The Camera Coach, Your Guide to Creating Underwater Video as the teaching tool.

I realized there was nothing on the market a couple of years ago that SHOWED people how to shoot and edit video. I carry it on my store and almost every shop that sells underwater camera equipment sells it too. I designed it to help you become successful while shooting underwater.

I also run trips throughout the year and do seminars on both video and photo during the weeks. We just finished a four day here in the Channel Islands and it was so much FUN!!!

Good luck!

Annie Crawley

Hey Steve and all the rest that offered such great advice-

Just wanted to let you all know I got the Ikelite housing for my JVC hard disk drive camera and have been having fun learning the very basics of underwater videography.

Here are a few of my finished videos: one is a recent underwater pumpkin carving contest held here in Saipan for Halloween.

Actually, my favorite video so far is this one (the very first one I finished)...partly because it's my wife doing her Open Water certification.

I know I have to find someone who can create original music for me...and I am working on that. Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think...but keep in mind they're my very first tries at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom