Where do I need to go for Africa's best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone dived east coast Zanzibar, from doing as much research as is possible from afar, it appears to have the potential for some fantastic diving, but at present little explored or understood (at on internet at least). The reefs which appear to run the full length of the coast and be nice and shallow to the coast which should hopefully encourage lots of small colourful life, the reefs then look to gently slope down to 20m and I'm very hopeful that this would make for some great macro photography.

There also seems to be some deep drop offs to open ocean, which should atract larger life, sharks, manta's, turtles, dolphins etc.

If anyone has dived this coast, it would be great to hear from you about your experiences, or if you could recomend any source of info for sites etc, books, websites.

There appears to be only one dive centre on that coast, Rising Sun, and I'm going to try and contact them too. Our trip isn't until June '07, so plenty of planning ` investigation time yet.

There are a couple of diveshops in Paje (south east), as well as several in Kiwengwa and Matemwe (north east). The latter mainly dive around Mnemba Atoll, one of the main dive areas of Zanzibar. I have not dived the reefs off Paje, which must be the sites you are talking about since Mnemba could hardly be called "little explored", but from what I have heard the diving down there isn't as good as in the north and west (off Stonetown).

shafan1234:
Hiya,

I am planning a two week trip probably to Africa in October/November of this year. I am looking for recommendations on where to dive... i am looking for the BEST OF THE BEST.. and ultimately i am not overly concerned of the country's security (i have dived in a semi war zone before).

At the moment my list is: Mozambique or Madasgcar.

And my other questions are:
How good is Pemba?
Where am I likely to see a whale shark / manta's at that time of year?

Ideally i would like to dive in warm water (24+) & im not the biggest fan of the smaller animals!

So please can someone help me, and tell me where I need to go to find the BEST african diving....

Thanks a lot :) :)

Have a great day!

you should check these guys out - http://www.divearchipelago.com/

they have some good places listed, but they are also located in SA, so they should be able to help with everything.

I am also on my way to Dar and then Zanzibar. Where did you decide to go. I am leaving in two weeks and need a recommendation!

Carol

Thanks for your help... im all booked now to Madagascar in November, going to spend some time in the jungle before heading off to Nosy Be for some diving... fingers crossed for Manta's & Whalesharks!

Zeina:
We were in the Tofo area of Mozambique late February, and saw a bunch of whale sharks and mantas.
Here are the links to my trip report and video

Although they have them around there year round, the best season for whale sharks is November-March

Zeina, thanks for sharing your wonderful video. I have heard great things about Mozambique, specifically Tofo and your video defintely confirmed what a great dive location it is. Wish I could read your trip report. Apparently another glitch with the new SB upgrades. Anyway maybe in the future. As for your video, what was your setup?

HI there
I spent 5 weeks working as an instructor on Zanzibar earlier this year. The diving is okay, not great. Clear signs of over fishing and certainly not many big fish. Howevr, the laid back lifestyle is great and who can argue with living on the beach every day! I haven't been but Pemba off Tanzania and Mozambique are reputedly great. If you like quiet and remote try Mikindani, I work here now and the diving is lovley, great structures and good biodiveristy. You won't get mantas or whale sharks but there are heaps of other things to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom