Where do you attach all of your goodies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saw an old similar thread somewhere else and was interesting reading how they had their gear configured. I'm getting back into diving after years away from it and trying to figure out what works best, especially with lobster gear in Florida. Does anybody use a coiled clip lanyard for their lobster snare/tickle stick so it's always attached? Or just regular ole bolt snaps?

Some accessories/gear I usually carry. Where do you attach yours? Pictures welcome also!

Always:
Octo - Right shoulder D-Ring (Going to try a rubber necklace. bungee one abraded my neck without a wetsuit)
Computer (air integrated) - Right wrist
Backup computer (BUD) - right shoulder D-ring
Knife - Right ankle
Whistle - On inflator hose near LP hose connection point

Sometimes:
SMB (I usually tow the float) - BCD pocket
Compass (mostly drift diving) - Left wrist
Small flashlight - retractor right waist D-ring
Lobster hotel/bag - Bolt snap left waist D-ring
Tickle stick/snare - Carried in hand, or bolt snap left shoulder D-Ring
GoPro - coiled lanyard right shoulder D-ring

I have 2 D-rings on each shoulder, 1 D-ring each side waist, 1 pocket each side (Zeagle Ranger).

I dive a BP/W with the standard 5 D-rings (1 on each chest strap, 1 on left hip, 1 in front of crotch strap, 1 in rear of crotch strap). I dive a single tank in open water, and model my setup loosely on the standard tech / DIR style, with some differences. I don't hunt/fish, so can't comment there.

Always bring:
Steak knife in sheath - waist belt, left side
EMT shears in sheath - waist belt, right side (double-duty as a longhose retainer)
Trilobyte - attached to left arm of drysuit
Computer - right wrist
18650-powered light - boltsnap to right chest D-ring, held down by rubber band
Smaller AAA-powered backup light - boltsnap to left chest D-ring, held down by rubber band
SPG - left hip D-ring
Whistle - right drysuit pocket
Extra double-ended boltsnap - either front crotch strap D-ring or left drysuit pocket

Sometimes bring, sometimes leave in the truck:
Compass - left wrist
Extra mask - left drysuit pocket
Pre-assembled DSMB, reel, double-ender - right drysuit pocket (SMBs / floats are not usually required locally)

The drysuit is new, and brings my total cutting devices up to 3, which is more than I need (honestly 1 would be enough), so I'm thinking about axing the steak knife. The water here is pretty murky, so a compass is pretty much mandatory, but my new computer has one built-in, so sometimes I leave the analog one behind. I frequently encounter trash in the water, so make it a point to try to leave a pocket open for little stuff like tape, wrappers, plastic bags, and the extra double-ender is nice for stuff like beer cans. The extra double-ender is also nice to clip my fins together and possibly to my crotch strap, to facilitate shore entry and exit.

Always:
Octo.-- in simple holder in the "golden triangle". Except tucked under a BC strap when diving solo (which is almost always).
Analog Console-- across/in front of chest clipped, so right close yet easy to read.
Computer/dive watch or both-- on right wrist.
Whistle-- right chest D ring, reachable.
Knife-- usually on right thigh, but in BC pocket if I don't take the poke spear.

Almost Always--
Shell collecting bag-- stuffed in pocket unless having contents, rope that closes it clipped to BC (learned that lesson with one floating away unnoticed)
Poke spear-- for those dumb flounders-- tied to right ankle and also under knife strap. Not used in winter.

Never-- Anything to do with catching lobsters. Here in the Maritimes you must be a licensed commercial lobsterman, or they'll confiscate all your dive gear AND your car.

I try to dive with as few "goodies" as possible due to potential entanglement in kelp forests

Hi Sonic04GT:

I usually dive with agency prescribed gear for a solo/self-reliant diver. All but the pony bottle and second computer are contained in BCD pockets. I also dive with a Hollis diving torch, which stowed/used on my right wrist. I have very few items exposed that could tangle with kelp.

cheers,
m²V2

I dive a BP/W with 6 drings and in a wet suit.
I carry on every dive,
On my right forearm a computer,
On my right hand compass,
Seasword on my belt, and a Gerber River which can be taken off.

Double ender on my right d ring, attached to a rubber bannd.

Cordless light on my left Dring while entering, and stowed while exiting.

While using, clipped to right d ring in temporary position.

Preassembled DSMB on my but ring.

Sometimes i wear a pocket on the right of my belt buckle with a spare mask and if it's needed for anything.

By the way. If you have a small light with a boltsnap on it, and a bungeed wrist-mounted or hand-mounted computer or compass, you can clip the boltsnap off to the bungee to prevent losing the light if you drop it. I like this solution much better than a lanyard / retractor / clipping boltsnap to chest D-ring / etc. I also like it better than my old soft goodman-style handle, since it allows me to clip off the light when not in use, and it allows me to articulate it with my fingers instead of my hand, which is just nicer. Not realistic to do this with a big can light, they really do need the goodman handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom