Where do you put all your stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There are lots of threads about streamlining, either DIR or otherwise, threads about all the accessories you carry, threads about long vs short hose, and tons of other specific questions.
What I can't figure out is where everyone puts everything. Some people use pockets and some don't, so that can be a factor. 3 D rings(not counting crotch) is DIR, but I'm sure people use more pretty regularly. My kit has 6, but with two on each shoulder, there isn't really enough room to keep things tight to my body and use them all, so I'll only likely use one on each side.
Heading to Coz next week, I'm diving BP/W with the aformentioned D rings. I'll have a primary (smaller handheld, possibly goodman-gloved) light, a little backup light, a spool w/ SMB, a lobster tickler, a knife and/or shears, and maybe some other little things depending on need. I know that's not much, but I don't want anything hanging more than a few inches off my body. The lobster tickler especially bothers me because it's so dang long.

How do you carry everything you need, keep it easily accessible, and make sure you aren't a snag hazard? Pics are welcome.

Primary light on hand.
Backup light clipped to d-ring (I go with shoulder d-ring for this and from what I've read that seems to be popular), secured with bungy (spare tire etc also used to keep it from dangling).
Knife/trilobite/shears - secured to webbing in it's sheath
Spool/dsmb - clipped off to d-ring (BP/W typically clips off in back from what I've seen for most people, but dangling some for others) or in a pocket (jacket bcd or if you have pockets otherwise).
Slate - in pocket (if applicable) or clipped to d-ring and tucked into webbing.

GoPro on a stick (similar to your tickler) I hold in my hand when diving or clip it on a d-ring and stuff it in webbing (awkward) if I need both hands for some reason.

I currently dive a jacket BCD, but am strongly looking at going BP/W just to get rid of all the extra "bulk" (I can literally fit my 6' DSMB with finger reel, a backup flashlight, mirror, whistle, and slate in just ONE of the pockets with room to spare... they're HUGE!)

When i am wearing it.
Right d ring (backup torch and primary torch when not on my hand)
Left d ring (stage)
Waist strap (cutting device on middle left and torch battery on right)

Left waist d ring (spg,stage)

Left pocket (2x dsmb and reels)
Right pocket (mask, cutting device, wet notes, compass, bottom timer and gopro on float)
I either have my drysuit pockets or the pockets on my apeks tek shorts if i am on holidays

There are lots of threads about streamlining, either DIR or otherwise, threads about all the accessories you carry, threads about long vs short hose, and tons of other specific questions.
What I can't figure out is where everyone puts everything. Some people use pockets and some don't, so that can be a factor. 3 D rings(not counting crotch) is DIR, but I'm sure people use more pretty regularly. My kit has 6, but with two on each shoulder, there isn't really enough room to keep things tight to my body and use them all, so I'll only likely use one on each side.
Heading to Coz next week, I'm diving BP/W with the aformentioned D rings. I'll have a primary (smaller handheld, possibly goodman-gloved) light, a little backup light, a spool w/ SMB, a lobster tickler, a knife and/or shears, and maybe some other little things depending on need. I know that's not much, but I don't want anything hanging more than a few inches off my body. The lobster tickler especially bothers me because it's so dang long.

How do you carry everything you need, keep it easily accessible, and make sure you aren't a snag hazard? Pics are welcome.

Based on where you're going you can eliminate the lobster tickler and knife right off the bat. Knives and gloves aren't allowed in the marine park in Cozumel and you can't catch lobsters there. Shears in a sheath mounted on your waist belt webbing near the back, SMB and spool on a hip d-ring (or in a pouch designed to hang off the bottom of your backplate behind you) and a light clipped off on each shoulder d-ring. If you don't want the lights dangling put a piece of rubber tubing on the shoulder strap to put the bottom of the light in to keep it close to you. As a bonus item, mount a line cutter/trilobyte on your computer strap and you have redundant cutting devices.

Based on where you're going you can eliminate the lobster tickler and knife right off the bat. Knives and gloves aren't allowed in the marine park in Cozumel and you can't catch lobsters there. Shears in a sheath mounted on your waist belt webbing near the back, SMB and spool on a hip d-ring (or in a pouch designed to hang off the bottom of your backplate behind you) and a light clipped off on each shoulder d-ring. If you don't want the lights dangling put a piece of rubber tubing on the shoulder strap to put the bottom of the light in to keep it close to you. As a bonus item, mount a line cutter/trilobyte on your computer strap and you have redundant cutting devices.

Ok, I've been keeping my knife on my calf, so should I just leave that one at home then? The lobster tickler is supposedly for stopping to look at stuff with the currents; it was recommended by the shop organizing the trip.
Do you have a link to one of those pouches? I was planning on just hooking it to the butt D ring on my crotch strap.
I did recently put a piece of tubing on each side of the harness between the D rings. I'll be putting the lights under them.
Good idea about the line cutter, I'll have to see if I can make that work.

Ok, I've been keeping my knife on my calf, so should I just leave that one at home then? The lobster tickler is supposedly for stopping to look at stuff with the currents; it was recommended by the shop organizing the trip.
Do you have a link to one of those pouches? I was planning on just hooking it to the butt D ring on my crotch strap.
I did recently put a piece of tubing on each side of the harness between the D rings. I'll be putting the lights under them.
Good idea about the line cutter, I'll have to see if I can make that work.
Scuba Mesh Bag SMB Carrier for Backplate (SCUBA Sausage Carrying Pocket) 804200052513 | eBay
There are a whole bunch of different ones available, this is just the first one from a google search.

Yes, leave your knife at home. Unless the dive shop you're using isn't following the marine park rules they won't let you die with it.

I lived and worked in Cozumel and never saw anyone using any kind of stick there to stop and look at things. That's a new one to me!

You can take a short pointing stick but honestly I wouldn’t. I only dive one light days and that is right shoulder d-ring and bungeed when not in use. DSMB with reel right hip d-ring. Trilobite in sheath on waist webbing. Whistle Left shoulder d-ring. If a pony, and I usually don’t but Eric does, left shoulder to hip d-rings

Night dives hand held or goodman light primary and secondary on right shoulder.

I look at the Hogarthian/DIR setups often. My rig certainly doesn't classify as either but it has helped me greatly with stashing gear. That said, I have a right hip D-ring. It's mostly empty but can be used to clip a camera. I have only 1 pocket which holds a folding snorkel. I have room on my right hip for another pocket, which I have right now for a slate, but will ditch (or be empty) when I get a wrist slate.

I hate 'stuff' and somehow I don't feel like I have much 'stuff' when I'm diving, even though I have just about everything necessary: DSMB/spool, whistle, slate, 2 lights, knife, pocket snorkel, etc.

My DSMB and spool are clipped to a D-ring I have on my lower right back side, where the harness loops through the plate from shoulder to waist. Despite being a larger DSMB I hardly notice it. In this pic I even had an 'Aqua Maraca' clipped back there.

3d6e5703-0b63-4108-975e-9eefae396a0f-jpeg.482594.jpg

I definitely recommend getting pocket shorts. They are amazing. For reference I dive a halcyon backplate in Dir setup.

My current set up:

Left pocket for SMB and reel.
Right pocket I have a whistle and any other trash I find on my dive goes in there too. Other people might use this for wetnotes or slate.
My trilobite is in its pouch on the left waist webbing.
Torches go on my shoulder d rings secured close to the webbing via rubberbands. I also have my camera clipped off to the left d ring.

The alternative if you don't have pocket shorts is to clip your SMB on your butt d ring and just let it dangle behind you.

I definitely recommend getting pocket shorts. They are amazing. For reference I dive a halcyon backplate in Dir setup.

My current set up:

Left pocket for SMB and reel.
Right pocket I have a whistle and any other trash I find on my dive goes in there too. Other people might use this for wetnotes or slate.
My trilobite is in its pouch on the left waist webbing.
Torches go on my shoulder d rings secured close to the webbing via rubberbands. I also have my camera clipped off to the left d ring.

The alternative if you don't have pocket shorts is to clip your SMB on your butt d ring and just let it dangle behind you.

I just got an IST pocket belt thing. It looks like chaps, but I can put it on anything I dive. So it will work equally well in my 7mm, my shorty, my skin suit, or on a pair of shorts. I dove it the other day and it was really nice.

Back
Top Bottom