Where do you put all your stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a DIR 'inspired' rig for all my open circuit diving. I have a canister light with the battery on the right hand side of the waistband and the head on a Goodman handle (with a boltsnap to clip it off. If I carry a backup, it is clipped to a chest D-ring as per Bowers's photo.

I have pockets on the side of my thighs on my drysuit; for wetsuit diving I have Apeks cargo shorts. I use the left pocket for stuff I may need, or will not need in a rush; generally this will be a DSMB connected to a finger reel. My right pocket is my emergency pocket; this always contains a spare mask and a yellow DSMB if I feel the dive warrants it. The pockets have D-rings stitched inside, to which I have a loop of cord attached; the contents are clipped to it with boltsnaps so nothing can fall out when I open them.

My computers are attached to my right wrist with bungee mounts; I use the right so I can still see them when I am controlling my buoyancy with the left. I use bungee mounts as they are neat and have two separate fastenings in case one fails; many people tie a wrist lanyard to their computer, but I find this untidy. My compass is attached to the wrist in the same way, usually in line but on the opposite side to one of the computers.

If I am carrying a reel as a distance line, it usually gets clipped to the butt D-ring when I am in the water, or just before. If I have to sit down in my kit, it will go on my left hip D-ring.

Dive a DIR BPW. Equipment brought depending on type of dive.
Full cave, cold water, deco, photo would be the most equipmentheavy.

Computer bungied, right arm.
Compass and CCRcontroller, left arm.

Safetyspool, backup mask, wet-notes, right thigh pocket. (Multi-tool, small cashregisterroll with rolled up duckt-tape and extra double-enders in flap pocket)

Jumpspools and pig-tail with arrows/cookies in left pocket (DSMB and spool goes here in open water)

Back-up lights attached to Right/Left chest d-ring. Fastened to harness with inner tubing
Primary light with 3 cookies on left hand. Cannister on right hip.
Cannister for heated vest on right hip.

Scooter Crotch D-ring

Stage 1 and 2 snapped to left chest and hip D-rings.
Camera stowed by staging to left chest and hip d-rings on top of Stages.

Stages 3+ stowed on leach on left hip d-ring.

Reel left hip D-ring

My computers are attached to my right wrist with bungee mounts; I use the right so I can still see them when I am controlling my buoyancy with the left. I use bungee mounts as they are neat and have two separate fastenings in case one fails; many people tie a wrist lanyard to their computer, but I find this untidy. My compass is attached to the wrist in the same way, usually in line but on the opposite side to one of the computers.

Is it possible to share a photo of this?

hollis-dive-computer-2.jpg

he tickler was suggested by the shop hosting the trip. It's not to mess with wildlife, it's supposedly to stop moving in the current by poking it into the sand.
You can accomplish the same thing by sticking one finger in the sand. Seriously. I am also sorry to say that there is enough dead coral in Cozumel to hold your position on a reef by hooking a finger onto dead coral. You can actually mover pretty easily against the current that way, reaching from one dead spot to another.

When diving in a place like Cozumel, I carry almost none of the equipment you list. I make sure to carry a spool and DSMB, which I stuff in a pocket in my pocket shorts.

Note that there is a single length of bungee. If that bungee breaks, or one of the knots works loose, the whole length of bungee will work loose and you could drop the computer. It is best to have a separate piece of bungee on each side, or tie a couple of knots either side of the piece at the bottom.

Edit: Beaten to it - cheers Snoweman!

Here in Italy there is a saying they teach you that "you are not a Christmas tree". The idea is that it is better to avoid bringing unnecessary objects and to keep most of the objects in the BCD jackets pockets instead of letting them dangle. To avoid entanglement and perhaps also not to affect the diver's hydrodinamic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom