Where have they been spotted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is our Force Fin crew in training assembling Float Tube Force Fins with Bungie Heel Straps. The Bungee heel strap system we developed over 20 years ago, A great friend and past dealer Kurt of Scuba Plus used a spear gun rubber band with two holes drilled in each side of the Force Fin. Looked like crap., so we stayed with the nylon strap design Bill Meistrell / Boby Glove founder had developed. At one point the U.S. Marines at Camp Pendleton, California asked for a easier way to quickly remove Force Fins in the surf zone. We then found a USA Bungee cord manufacturer and side mounts that looked good and were easy to adjust. That was over 25 years ago, Force Fin was the first to use a Bungee Cord Heel Strap System. Just like we were the first to make a truly better Split fin called the Foil Force. I will never forget the look of the President of a Japanese company when he saw the Foil Force one year before they came out with a FLAT design.
DSC_0535.gif

This is our Force Fin crew in training assembling Float Tube Force Fins with Bungie Heel Straps. The Bungee heel strap system we developed over 20 years ago, A great friend and past dealer Kurt of Scuba Plus used a spear gun rubber band with two holes drilled in each side of the Force Fin. Looked like crap., so we stayed with the nylon strap design Bill Meistrell / Boby Glove founder had developed. At one point the U.S. Marines at Camp Pendleton, California asked for a easier way to quickly remove Force Fins in the surf zone. We then found a USA Bungee cord manufacturer and side mounts that looked good and were easy to adjust. That was over 25 years ago, Force Fin was the first to use a Bungee Cord Heel Strap System. Just like we were the first to make a truly better Split fin called the Foil Force. I will never forget the look of the President of a Japanese company when he saw the Foil Force one year before they came out with a FLAT design.View attachment 367522

I remember those bungee straps improvised by Kirk Mortensen of Scuba Plus of Stockton, Ca, that was my first pair of Force Fins and the straps actually worked quite well. He ran a great scuba shop and an active club with their own Zodiac that we would take to Monterey. It was in the early 1990's. Sadly he sold the shop and moved to Florida to work for SSI and soon after that the shop folded. Stockton used to have two scuba shops and now I don't think there are any.

Love me bungeeeeeeesss! :D
Welcome back Bob!!!

Well last night I saw a pair of Force fins in the film " Black Fish " on CNN. My comments to day on Facebook.
972 The Starfish Tuna Tank show. The tank was covered over and was enclosed in a arena. When I jumped in for the photo take I was surprised at the smallness and confining space for the dolphins. After wards on deck I noticed the small holding pens for night sleep. I had to mention my thoughts to their trainer and he stated "O yes they get aggressive some times." Go figure that. I never went back to Sea World or had a desire to see what I had seen again. Felt like a conservation camp for Marine life of all forms. For me watching these beautiful sea living animals being free sets the stage for Sea World future. Please close up

DSC_0711.jpg

So true Bob. Let them go!
Got a chance recently to show off underwater. I had a cinematographer from England that wanted me to lead him on some dives. While underwater we switched one fin. I had previously arrange with him that I wanted to have him try my FF (Extra Force Tan Delta). He had been intrigued with the design. So, we put one on of each. I didn't even use the bungee but just put his foot in it. He acted like a kid with a new toy! I had him close his eyes and swim. When I showed him that he had been swimming in a circle he about gagged and dropped his regulator when his jaw dropped!

Said that he was going back to the UK and purchase FF. We'll see!

I saw a pair years ago in Bonaire. There were two brothers who were staying in the room next to mine. One of them had a pair. He was wearing them, sitting on the porch in a rocking chair. I was a new diver and they were very helpful and fun. Never saw him dive in them but they were doing shore dives and I was on the boat.

Not as exotic as many stories here, but... I normally swim at our local YMCA with my adjustable Slim Fins and Beaver Tails. 30 minutes of freestyle with the slims and 15-20 minutes just kicking with the beaver tails. Anyway, I stopped to see my wife while she was with her trainer and he started asking about my fins, so I was preaching about how good they were and how they fit my feet (I have a toe that can't stand closed fins), and how rare they were (especially the Beaver Tails).

Anyway, after all that, I go down to get in the pool and the guy in the next lane is wearing a brand new pair of Adjustable Slims for the first time. Someone else had recommended them to him, so he bought a pair. After me telling him how much I loved mine, he felt a lot better about the purchase. But really... what are the chances? :)

This week I was able to demonstrate Force Fins here in Estonia to divers from multiple countries! Unfortunately, having 3 sons that also dive and die-hard Force Fin enthusiasts means we need a LOT of inventory! My youngest just outgrew my very first pair that I ever bought, Pros in Yellow size XL. Now it looks like I'll need another pair of XXL!

IMG_3514[1].JPG
I just had to post this picture. Since we are in the middle of dive season, I regularly have a couple of pairs of extra fins in my van that just stay there in case someone needs to use them. My son and I have our own pairs in our boxes so the extras just kind of "hang out" in the van.

I had to pick up some panels for a project for some refugee students and when I put the panels in the van, I realized that they would smack into the front and possibly damage the vehicle if I needed to stop suddenly. What can I put there that will not get damaged but will also prevent damage to the vehicle?

Hee hee, my fins! You can't hurt them things!

Worked GREAT!

Incidentally, one of the men saw them and went diving this week with them for the first time. His exact word to describe them - AMAZING! He got separated from his buddy because he THOUGHT that he was casually moving along but was doing about 30 knots* through the water. In just a few kick cycles, he had left his buddy behind, beyond the 10 meter vis. range. I was guiding the dive so had to stay with the group.

We surfaced, met back up and continued with, "Come on Paul. I TOLD you to pay attention."
"Mike, this fins are AMAZING!"

After the dive, I asked him how he liked the dive and ALL he wanted to talk about was the fins! :D
True story! Though sad and funny at the same time - fins so awesome that a diver doesn't even comment on the dive site! :facepalm:

*Possibly a slight exaggeration on the actual speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom