Where/how to practice for currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I know that there are many amazing places to dive that I've been afraid to book for fear of not being able to handle the currents (e.g., Komodo, Galapagos, etc.). So I'm trying to think of ways that I can learn to handle currents before I book a trip to those amazing places that are so expensive and far away/hard to get to, so I don't have to sit out dives when I get there. First thing that comes to mind is go to Cozumel, and ask the DMs to bring me to places where there are moderate currents, and then if I can handle those comfortably, graduate to higher current dives. I'll probably do this with a private DM. Any thoughts?

I'd also like to practice using a reef hook but I don't think that's possible in Coz. I think I'd really have to learn this when I'm someplace in Indonesia.

Rest assured you won't be the only one on the liveaboard who is either new to currents or doesn't handle them well. Just go for it. Trial by fire. :wink: Seriously, the dive protocol in the Galapagos, where you descend and hang on to a rock for dear life, perhaps using a reef hook, is so unusual that the DM will surely brief you on what to do, and you won't be the only one who has never used a reef hook.

Got a river close?

Excellent idea. Dove a whitewater river and under some minor falls locally.

Cozumel? It may be the "Caribbean standard" for current dives, but only by those who have not gotten to Tobago (Speyside). Or one step beyond: Los Roques.

There is much more to prepare for than simply current- truth be told, just go with the flow (and your DM).

In the Galapagos, we've used leather gloves for years to hold onto the black lava rock, reef hooks are a relatively new chunk of gotta-have dive iron. Often over used in coral environments along the lines of a muck stick. Not a big fan.

Other stuff to get familiar with, much harder than floating along in current:

- Shooting your SMB from depth and not thusly blowing your 15' safety stop, to await pickup by recovery boat

- Surface recovery with contact and transition to a RIB...and also a rough wooden vertical ladder

- Backroll negative entries on command

Last edited:
Rest assured you won't be the only one on the liveaboard who is either new to currents or doesn't handle them well. Just go for it. Trial by fire. :wink: Seriously, the dive protocol in the Galapagos, where you descend and hang on to a rock for dear life, perhaps using a reef hook, is so unusual that the DM will surely brief you on what to do, and you won't be the only one who has never used a reef hook.

That's reassuring, actually. I haven't booked a Galapagos trip yet, but sure would like to when I'm more confident in my current diving abilities. I'm usually a "preparer", not so much a "just go for it/trial by fire". :p

I'm usually a "preparer", not so much a "just go for it/trial by fire". :p

I've gotten that impression from some of your posts. As a preparer myself--and a big fan of formal training--all I can say is, I hear ya. Nevertheless, perhaps there are some things that a diver just adapts to by doing.

Excellent idea. Dove a whitewater river and under some minor falls locally.

Cozumel? It may be the "Caribbean standard" for current dives, but only by those who have not gotten to Tobago.

There is much more to prepare for than simply current- truth be told, just go with the flow (and your DM).

Other stuff to get familiar with, much harder than floating along in current:

- Shooting your SMB from depth and not thusly blowing your 15' safety stop, to await pickup by recovery boat

- Surface recovery with contact and transition to a RIB...and also a rough wooden vertical ladder

- Backroll negative entries on command

Yup! Also gotta work on shooting the SMB and never tried negative entry yet.

**** "shooting the SMB" .....shoot the rapids, before the Earth is finally overcome by mindless breeders.......................(of all speicies)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom