Where in New Zealand to complete Open Water certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate_Canuck

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm looking for recommendations on PADI courses in New Zealand. I've got a referral to complete the check out dives in NZ, and will be on holiday in NZ Nov 20-Dec 5. Flexible as to location. Looking for the best instructors, and perhaps a location that isn't too cold. I'm kind of a klutz, so a "kinder, gentler" learning environment is preferred. Cost isn't a determinative factor, and I'd prefer a location that had 3-4* accommodation available (but I'm not in the "sky's the limit" budget category). I was planning to complete the certification in one location, and then include one other dive site in the holiday (which will involve other activities). Most of my vacation plans focus on the South Island, although I'd like to go to Napier and will fly in and out of Auckland.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I can't really recommend any dive shops to complete your course with, but you should not leave NZ without having done a couple of dives at the Poor Knights Islands, off Whangarei, north of Auckland. Water temperaturs should be pretty nice up there this time of year. I dived there in winter, and even then it was bearable.

Dive Tutukaka does certifications, and it also dives the Poor Kinghts islands. The downside from your travel standpoint is that it's about 3 hours north of Auckland, on the east coast. If you're driving yourself, get a really good map, because you'll need it to make the proper turn from the main road (Route 1) to Tutukaka, in Whangerei. Pacific Rendezvous is a good hotel, with a great view, and close to the dive op.

I imagine that most of NZ is cold water diving -- I used a 7mil farmer john, a jacket with hood, and gloces on my trip with Dive Tutukaka in October. It will be somewhat warmer in December, but still isn't tropical.

Good luck.

Bill

I also dived with Dive!Tutukaka, just wasn't sure if they did courses as well, as their didn't seem anything like that goind on when I was there. But as I said, that was in winter...
Anyway, they are a very professinal operation, and they pick up from Whangarei.

Back
Top Bottom