Where in the Caribbean should I go diving in mid-late November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never stayed at Cocoview although we did dive with them during one trip to Roatan, I think Compass Point is more like what you are looking for and Sunset House is cheaper. Compass Point is on the East End - pretty far away from everything - and you will need a car to get around to go diving at night, and the driving is on the left.

Take a look at Lighthouse Reef on the West Side (north of Seven Mile Beach) Dive Tech is the onsite dive op and they have a good rep and you will get unlimited dives on the house reef, including night dives and will take you to the best dive sites available.

So it sounds like the Cayman Aggressor offers the same type of dives that one could get from any land-based Cayman options, except that the packaging is different, i.e. you get the convenience and high number of dives of a liveaboard and the weather-dependent opportunity to visit all three islands. Is that correct? In other words, could one get similar experiences (albeit with fewer and less convenient dives) in a land-based trip to each one of the three islands?

Like Kathy indicated, yes. There are some potential advantages of live-aboards in general:

1.) High # of dives/trip.
2.) Very convenient diving (e.g.: gear up, hop in).
3.) Simple, convenient A.I. package deal trip.
4.) No single supplement if willing to accept a same sex room mate.
5.) Reach distant, more pristine sites poorly assessable from land.

I believe the Cayman Aggressor IV (loved my trip with them) has advantages 1 - 4, not so much 5 (unlike the Belize Aggressor boats).

Note: if you prefer to dive Nitrox, most Cayman dive ops charge extra per tank for Nitrox, and that will add to the expense.

Happened to stumble across this recently, Divetech notes "Nitrox is US$12 per tank or US$35 per day for unlimited."

For a dive-focused Grand Caymans trip, my main conflict would be between Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers 4 boat dives/day, east coast where some of the best diving is said to be but far from the main shore diving sites, vs. going with an op. closer to the west coast, with more amenities of civilization and possible shore diving. Ocean Frontiers notes 32% nitrox $12/tank, $55 for 6-tank package or $99 for 12 tank package (ave. $8.25/tank).

If it were me, I suspect I'd take my changes with the Turks & Caicos live-aboard, rather than do a big destination change that late in the year.

Since T&C is known for deeper wall diving, I'm hopeful the initial damage will be less, and sand fall off faster, than a shallower, more flat-bottomed destination (all speculation). Has anyone heard any 1st hand reports since Irma?

Richard.

I have never stayed at Cocoview although we did dive with them during one trip to Roatan, I think Compass Point is more like what you are looking for and Sunset House is cheaper. Compass Point is on the East End - pretty far away from everything - and you will need a car to get around to go diving at night, and the driving is on the left.

Take a look at Lighthouse Reef on the West Side (north of Seven Mile Beach) Dive Tech is the onsite dive op and they have a good rep and you will get unlimited dives on the house reef, including night dives and will take you to the best dive sites available.

I will take a look at all three.

My concern about unlimited shore diving on a house reef is that, from what I understand, some of the house reefs are often unusable or otherwise provide poor diving depending on the weather and the season. Is that correct? That problem would be in addition to the fact that diving the house reef over and over again would get old and I would have to find a buddy.

If it were me, I suspect I'd take my changes with the Turks & Caicos live-aboard, rather than do a big destination change that late in the year.

Since T&C is known for deeper wall diving, I'm hopeful the initial damage will be less, and sand fall off faster, than a shallower, more flat-bottomed destination (all speculation). Has anyone heard any 1st hand reports since Irma?

Richard.

Take a look at this video with before & after satellite photos of Florida and the Turks & Caicos, which show how much sand Irma deposited in both areas.

Your research sounds pretty solid. It's a tough one. I would add the following-

- I know you don't have a lot of time to decide, but if you can wait for reports from T&C, it might be ok because a lot of the diving starts a bit deeper there. Seems more likely to me the sand could be a problem at St Kitts (or silt from the harbor at Saba, which was a problem on our trip because conditions didn't allow diving many of the sites away from the harbor.) But again, maybe there will be reports soon to say for sure.

- I think the Cayman Aggressor is a good way to dive there, even if they can't make the crossing. It may actually get you slightly better diving on Little Cayman than land based, as they seemed to spend more time in Jackson Bight, which I think is even better than Bloody Bay where the day ops tend to concentrate. But I don't think it is as much "the way to go" like I would say for Belize. And while LC diving is good, I think diving on GC can be as good, as long as you can get to the right sites.

While there's not really a Cocoview on Cayman, there are a couple places you can do nearly as well from land there with a little more effort. Sunset House is the most similar to CCV, sort of - but it's strictly west side diving, south side if you're lucky, and IMO the shore diving there was beat long ago.

Compass Point on the East End you can get 2x2-tankers a day and 2 night dives, but for additional night dives you'd have to drive back to the west end of the island and find an op going out that night or a place to shore dive, and it's really not all that practical. (Especially since you'd be going against the whole routine at Ocean Frontiers, where they clean and lock up your gear for the night, and put it back on the boat the next morning.) Maybe not necessary to sit in your room every night, there's a restaurant there with a buffet night and I expect it is pretty much a divers hangout every evening (it wasn't really there yet last time we stayed.) They had a couple slideshow type nights when we were there in the past, don't know if that is still the case.

Cobalt Coast is 2 tanks in the morning (boat not necessarily leaving from there), then unlimited shore diving in theory. But it's a swim, and they also get blown out a lot there so you'd have to go to one of the more protected shore sites nearby for the afternoon/evening, using a different shop.

Divetech you may be able to get 3-4 boat dives, and the onsite shore dive at Lighthouse Point is less likely to be blown out. Their boats leave from different places depending where they're going and conditions. Staying at LP itself probably won't make sense costwide for a single, but they work with other accomodations if you're willing to go that route. (Just looked and see they have a new shop at the Holiday Inn on North Sound and I assume their north sound departures leave from there now? Maybe that would work, and you could just pop over to LP for extra shore/night diving which probably wouldn't be too much trouble.)

(Are you actually solo diving, or just solo traveling and planning on an instabuddy? Cayman isn't exactly solo diving friendly, and it's certainly against the stated policy on the CAII. Possibly true on most or all of the Caribbean liveaboards, though what happens in real life may vary.)

- As far as Curacao, where did you stay/dive last time? If you stayed near town and dove more towards the east, doing the west end could be like an entirely different destination.

- St Croix could be worth looking into since there's some amount of shore diving, depending how reports come back on that. Cane Bay?

Personally, I'd try Divetech/Holiday Inn, or Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. Or consider taking the chance with the weather and doing Cocoview. It's supposed to be the more reliable side of the island as you get into the winter, though the shore dive viz may suck if it's snotty. (But it was April and not snotty when we were there, and viz still sucked.) Or the Roatan Aggressor, which looks like it has space for your week, but I don't know if that would be more or less affected by the weather than terrestrial - they can stay on the calmer side, but weather might make them less likely to do Cayo Cochinos which is supposed to be good.

Your research sounds pretty solid. It's a tough one. I would add the following-

- I think the Cayman Aggressor is a good way to dive there, even if they can't make the crossing. It may actually get you slightly better diving on Little Cayman than land based, as they seemed to spend more time in Jackson Bight, which I think is even better than Bloody Bay where the day ops tend to concentrate. But I don't think it is as much "the way to go" like I would say for Belize. And while LC diving is good, I think diving on GC can be as good, as long as you can get to the right sites.

While there's not really a Cocoview on Cayman, there are a couple places you can do nearly as well from land there with a little more effort. Sunset House is the most similar to CCV, sort of - but it's strictly west side diving, south side if you're lucky, and IMO the shore diving there was beat long ago.

Compass Point on the East End you can get 2x2-tankers a day and 2 night dives, but for additional night dives you'd have to drive back to the west end of the island and find an op going out that night or a place to shore dive, and it's really not all that practical. (Especially since you'd be going against the whole routine at Ocean Frontiers, where they clean and lock up your gear for the night, and put it back on the boat the next morning.) Maybe not necessary to sit in your room every night, there's a restaurant there with a buffet night and I expect it is pretty much a divers hangout every evening (it wasn't really there yet last time we stayed.) They had a couple slideshow type nights when we were there in the past, don't know if that is still the case.

Cobalt Coast is 2 tanks in the morning (boat not necessarily leaving from there), then unlimited shore diving in theory. But it's a swim, and they also get blown out a lot there so you'd have to go to one of the more protected shore sites nearby for the afternoon/evening, using a different shop.

Divetech you may be able to get 3-4 boat dives, and the onsite shore dive at Lighthouse Point is less likely to be blown out. Their boats leave from different places depending where they're going and conditions. Staying at LP itself probably won't make sense costwide for a single, but they work with other accomodations if you're willing to go that route. (Just looked and see they have a new shop at the Holiday Inn on North Sound and I assume their north sound departures leave from there now? Maybe that would work, and you could just pop over to LP for extra shore/night diving which probably wouldn't be too much trouble.)

(Are you actually solo diving, or just solo traveling and planning on an instabuddy? Cayman isn't exactly solo diving friendly, and it's certainly against the stated policy on the CAII. Possibly true on most or all of the Caribbean liveaboards, though what happens in real life may vary.)

- As far as Curacao, where did you stay/dive last time? If you stayed near town and dove more towards the east, doing the west end could be like an entirely different destination.

- St Croix could be worth looking into since there's some amount of shore diving, depending how reports come back on that. Cane Bay?

Personally, I'd try Divetech/Holiday Inn, or Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. Or consider taking the chance with the weather and doing Cocoview. It's supposed to be the more reliable side of the island as you get into the winter, though the shore dive viz may suck if it's snotty. (But it was April and not snotty when we were there, and viz still sucked.) Or the Roatan Aggressor, which looks like it has space for your week, but I don't know if that would be more or less affected by the weather than terrestrial - they can stay on the calmer side, but weather might make them less likely to do Cayo Cochinos which is supposed to be good.

I looked into Divetech a bit more deeply. Do you or @drrich2 or @KathyV know if:

a) their daytime PM 1 or 2 tank trips are contingent on demand or need a minimum of number of divers? Their website does not clarify their daytime PM offerings in much detail.

b) their night dives require a minimum number of divers? I understand that such minimums are common for night dives; some operators list that minimum requirement on their websites, and some do not.

Lighthouse Point's website does not indicate room rates at all, unless I missed it. Is that because the rates are ridiculously high, especially for a solo traveler?

I am traveling solo and do not yet have a solo certification (I plan to get that on my next trip to Bonaire). I would have to find buddies for any independent, non-guided shore dives, which is why it is important to me to have reliable supply of boat or guided shore dives in the afternoon and at night instead.

My last trip to Curacao was mostly diving on the west end of the island. It was fine, but now that I have "been there and done that," I want to exhaust the other top options in the Caribbean before I start repeating destinations (except for Bonaire, which is the only place that has impressed me enough to want to return before I run out of new places to go).

Sorry, I don't know about afternoon boats and minimums with Divetech. I do think that used to be an issue, but I haven't dove with them in many years and there's been lots of changes. Sadly their website seems to be more information free than it used to be. I'd just ask them.

Lighthouse Point is relatively new and nice condos and I remember it not being cheap - not too bad for couples sharing a 2BR, but a single not so much. The Holiday Inn might work better, especially if the boat is leaving from there, and especially if there are reliable afternoon/night boat trips leaving from there. (I'd love to know myself, as we're starting to think about another Cayman trip.)

One of the nice things about Ocean Frontiers on the East End, besides it being a great op, is the afternoon and night trips are very reliable. I don't know if they have minimums, but they seem to have so much demand it seems unlikely to matter. You're more likely to have a problem getting a spot on the boat if you don't plan ahead.

It sounds like you would be happiest on a liveaboard, so I hope that you can arrange it, but here's a few suggestions for nighttime activities on GC:

Red Sails is another dive op with sites on the East End, so if they dive on different nights then Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point, you may be able to do a couple of night dives with them - but you would have to arrange with Ocean Frontiers to keep your gear overnight.

This may also be of interest to you. A rare bioluminescent bay exists on Grand Cayman off of Rum Point (North Side not far from the East End). Depending on the time of the month when you are traveling - they don't offer tours during periods of bright moonlight - you can take a boat tour and snorkel in the bioluminescent bay at night. It's supposed to be a very cool experience!

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/grand-cayman-activities.525583/page-5#post-7669237

Best Cayman Islands Bioluminescent Bay Tours | George's Watersports

Last edited:
Good point. Ocean Frontiers night dives are Monday & Thursday. Red Sail (Tortuga Divers) at Morritts on the East End lists a night dive on Tuesday. No idea if it always runs. Not as handy as on-site, but an option.

There are a lot of dive ops on Cayman, some at resorts and some not, including some small boutique 6-pack ops. I'm not familiar with much outside the dive focused resorts, but maybe someone knows if any of them tend to run afternoon/evening boats a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom