Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I'm an instructor, and I'm thinking about relocating to the Asia. I've read all the magazines, websites, top-10 lists, etc. But I was hoping to get some first-hand opinions from some well-traveled divers here..

I'm most interested in big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs, etc.) and healthy coral reefs.

So.. with that being said.. Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Most people'll tell you Raja Ampat/Komodo, Tubbataha Reef, The Similans or The Maldives.. but what do you guys think?

Thank you very, very, very much in advance for any insights! I really, really do appreciate them!

I've been to Raja Ampat, Komodo, Lembeh, Tubbataha, Puerto Galera, and Thailand on your list.

For the price per tank and all-in with food, beverage, and lodging considering the dive quality and convenience, Puerto Galera is quite good. Out of that entire list, Philippines has the least expensive diving on a per tank basis. You won't get pelagics in Puerto Galera (not a single eshark all week for us, which I hear is normal) but mostly macro and reef scenes. Verde Island is incredible. You come back between dives and it can be like liveaboard diving that is resort based. Do as many or as few dives as you want but 6 nights, including round trip private transfers from Manila airport, nitrox, ocean view room, all meals, 4 dives per day was $1200 with El Galleon and Asia Divers. It is excellent value and I would return.

Tubbataha is very good and very healthy. It has great whale shark opportunities but if we are comparing it to Komodo and Raja Ampat, I don't think it is as good, whale sharks aside. I love that you get to see them in their natural habitat without feeding. The color, density, and variety of corals (hard and soft) as well as fish and sharks, general life, etc. in Indonesia cannot be beat, especially at Raja.

Lembeh is great for muck. Many people either love it or hate it. I noticed folks tend to like it if they are into the weird and the wonderful or have a tendency to like to spend time looking for small critters. Patience is needed, obviously. Usually, photographers really enjoy going there. NAD Lembeh is an excellent resort. I highly recommend.

I haven't been to the Similans but will head there in late March. I've dived in Thailand before and it is underwhelming compared to the others I have mentioned. In the meantime, I have been to Komodo and Raja Ampat once each already and have plans to return to both next year, October and April, respectively. I will also be checking out Banda Sea for their crossing but that report won't be out until late October 2019. :)

If you are doing a tour of Asia, I would be strategic about which order you dive it in so that you can appreciate the destinations. You may be disappointed with some destinations otherwise. My suggestion is to leave Raja Ampat for last and Komodo right before that. The two have been my gold standard ever since diving there. There are many liveaboard options for both. Komodo can also be done by day trips though not as convenient. Raja Ampat can be done by land but you won't get to all the different dive sites so I recommend a liveaboard to see south, central, and north.

Let me know if you have any questions. I did a review on a Tubbataha here: liveaboard Discovery Fleet MV Discovery Palawan Tubbataha Trip Report, April 19-April 25, 2018 Remember the season is late March to early or mid June. I suggest going in late april or early May for best conditions.

Check out the photos I have www.instagram.com/outofofficebrb

To summarize, if I had to pick one country to dive for the rest of my life..It would be Indonesia.

Thoughts on my own experiences in Asia:
Indonesia
  • Raja Ampat - unpopular opinion, but I am not a fan. I thought it was dull and was left scratching my head both times I've been there.
  • Komodo - has potential, but I didn't enjoy it much because of the currents. This was possibly down to poor dive site planning by the lob trip director. But it was enough to put me off. You need to pick your dive op very very carefully here.
  • Lembeh - awesome macro, but can be very crowded with other divers (and it's getting worse).
  • Manado/Bunaken - decent wall diving and a good way to spend a few days to chill before or after diving Lembeh.
  • Ambon - awesome macro, less crowded than Lembeh, but more prone to being affected by currents, which is not fun for macro photography.
  • East Kalimantan - Big Fish Country :)
  • Bali - good macro, decent wreck at Tulumben, mantas, mola mola. Good for a week or two.
Malaysia
  • Layang Layang - schooling hammerheads and heaps of mantas, but resort is only open a few months a year, so you have to time it right. Reefs are decent, but it's suffering from the dynamite fishing in the area - we were underwater when it was going off, interesting experience.
  • Sipadan - turtles! But the permit system is a clusterfornication.
Philippines
  • Malapascua - worth it for a few days to see the thresher sharks, but I found the rest of the diving there to be very underwhelming. It's seriously overcrowded.
  • Anilao - probably my favoured macro destination in the world :)
  • Puerto Galera - very good macro, but don't like the town itself. Too crowded.
  • Dumaguete - decent reef diving, decent macro, but nothing to really write home about.
Thailand
  • Similans are ok, but it's overfished and overcrowded. Worth a visit if you're going to be in Thailand anyway, but I wouldn't go there specifically to dive.
I think historically I would have said the best diving was in Indonesia, but in recent years many of the dive destinations I enjoyed there have become too overcrowded and it has negatively impacted the diving. Similar situation in the Philippines. For me, the best diving is where I can avoid the crowds. I have plans to visit Alor in the not too distant future, so hopefully that delivers!

You can have a look at photos from various dive trips on my blog: Galleries

I would guess a toss up between the Philippines and Indo if you are looking to relocate. I have been living in the Philippines for the past 7 years and had a great experience so far. I have been diving in a couple of places in Indo but felt a little bit more at home in the Philippines. I also worked in the Maldives for a few years but much prefer the freedom of Philippines.

There are many places to relocate, the good thing about the Philippines is that you can fly to the major places in around an hour so its pretty simple. I would recommend checking out Anilao, Puerto galera, Moalboal, Malapascua, Dumaguete as a starting point. The majority of diving is macro in these destinations but the lifestyle is very good. if you want to see the bigger stuff then consider applying for a Tubbataha season job on a liveaboard, you can be based in Puerto Princessa for the season and explore Palawan at the same time.

Let me know if you need any advice I'll be happy to help you.

Thoughts on my own experiences in Asia:
Indonesia
  • Raja Ampat - unpopular opinion, but I am not a fan. I thought it was dull and was left scratching my head both times I've been there.
  • Komodo - has potential, but I didn't enjoy it much because of the currents. This was possibly down to poor dive site planning by the lob trip director. But it was enough to put me off. You need to pick your dive op very very carefully here.
  • Lembeh - awesome macro, but can be very crowded with other divers (and it's getting worse).
  • Manado/Bunaken - decent wall diving and a good way to spend a few days to chill before or after diving Lembeh.
  • Ambon - awesome macro, less crowded than Lembeh, but more prone to being affected by currents, which is not fun for macro photography.
  • East Kalimantan - Big Fish Country :)
  • Bali - good macro, decent wreck at Tulumben, mantas, mola mola. Good for a week or two.
Malaysia
  • Layang Layang - schooling hammerheads and heaps of mantas, but resort is only open a few months a year, so you have to time it right. Reefs are decent, but it's suffering from the dynamite fishing in the area - we were underwater when it was going off, interesting experience.
  • Sipadan - turtles! But the permit system is a clusterfornication.
Philippines
  • Malapascua - worth it for a few days to see the thresher sharks, but I found the rest of the diving there to be very underwhelming. It's seriously overcrowded.
  • Anilao - probably my favoured macro destination in the world :)
  • Puerto Galera - very good macro, but don't like the town itself. Too crowded.
  • Dumaguete - decent reef diving, decent macro, but nothing to really write home about.
Thailand
  • Similans are ok, but it's overfished and overcrowded. Worth a visit if you're going to be in Thailand anyway, but I wouldn't go there specifically to dive.
I think historically I would have said the best diving was in Indonesia, but in recent years many of the dive destinations I enjoyed there have become too overcrowded and it has negatively impacted the diving. Similar situation in the Philippines. For me, the best diving is where I can avoid the crowds. I have plans to visit Alor in the not too distant future, so hopefully that delivers!

You can have a look at photos from various dive trips on my blog: Galleries

Where/how did you do Raja Ampat? You're right, I'm gobsmacked by your impression.

Yes, there are a couple of underwhelming sites and I've only visited them because we had a focus, for example mantas. But now that I've been on manta dives in Maldives as well, it's my impression that manta sites are boring unless or until the mantas show up.
Of course, this may not be true everywhere in the world, only where I've been/seen.

Where/how did you do Raja Ampat? You're right, I'm gobsmacked by your impression.

Yes, there are a couple of underwhelming sites and I've only visited them because we had a focus, for example mantas. But now that I've been on manta dives in Maldives as well, it's my impression that manta sites are boring unless or until the mantas show up.
Of course, this may not be true everywhere in the world, only where I've been/seen.
Trip 1: Misool area on a private charter about 15 years ago. Before the resort was there.

Trip 2: Stayed land-based on Kri Island a few years ago over Xmas.

I dunno. I just thought it was dull. Yes, most dive sites were fishy, but it was underwhelming *shrugs* Mantas I have seen tons of elsewhere, so they were not really a drawing card for me in RA.

Just one of those things. Two people can visit the exact same place a week apart and have polar opposite experiences.

Indonesia is probably the best but the language is a big issue. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to learn as compare with Tagalog or Thai. Travelling in Indonesia is really tedious between most popular diving areas.
Philippines is a close second and English is widely spoken/understood. Inter island travelling is easy and short.
Both countries has one similar problem: the mother nature. Earthquake(tsunami), typhoon and volcanic eruption.
Food is a lot better in Indonesia as long as you do not eat pork. Pinoy's food is absolutely bland and unimaginative.

My hubby and I have been lucky enough ( aka old enough to be able to affoard ) to dive Indonesia , The Philippines , the Maldives , Sipadan and Thailand.

Indo for us is the best and can be amazing value in Bali , Lembongan and The Gilis. We loved RA and Komodo , did both on LOBs. I have been to Lembeh twice and love it.

The Philippines is also wonderful , Southern Leyte in whaleshark season is world class. We also love Malapascua and have seen mantas , white tips , turtles and amazing macro including a blue ring octopus. Dumaguete , Bohol , Maolboal are also very nice.

Sipadan is wonderful , but Mabul is very very dirty....Thailand is wonderful for a holiday but is so overfished and so busy with boats and inexperienced divers thrashing everything that we have given up on it for now !

@WetPup I think Lembeh is getting much better with the crowds especially now that they have limited the amount of divers on a site at one time. Last 2 trips we never had another boat on a dive site. Tulumben, on the other hand is crowded and needs controls.

To the OP Indonesia has so much to offer. It is an amazingly diverse place! Can't go wrong!

Back
Top Bottom