Where on mask do *you* attach your snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wear my snorkle when teaching to stay within standards. In certain circumstances I do carry a cheapo foldable snorkle in my weight pocket just in case. In reality, a snorkle is useful in only a few circumstances - 1. on the surface while waiting on the boat in rough seas and you do not want to deplete the air in your tank (see cheapo foldable snorkle) 2. when snorkling - I use a nice Scubapro snorkle for this - like how it curves to remain close to the head. and 3. was there a 3....

For short to medium surface swims in calm seas, on my back is fine.

I've often wondered if the snorkle remains a required device by cert agencies because where else can you take $2 worth of material and sell it for $45+ :D

No, that couldn't be true.

3. For rescue (mouth to snorkel).
4. For beach diving.
5. For choppy seas.
6. If you're under a helicopter.
7. When you have a lone wait on the surface.
etc.

I'll add one more to Thal's great list, and the real reason "I don't leave home without it":

8. Self-Rescue.

I've had a couple long, unplanned surface swims over the years where a snorkel was extremely helpful.

I shore dive in areas that sometimes have a moderate longshore surface current due to wind and waves (but almost zero current once you get below about 15-20'). There is often only one safe entry/exit point. During the course of a dive, the wind can change from near calm to 25 knots, and in some places will shift and blow offshore :shocked2: I know from experience that I can swim farther and longer on the surface with a snorkel than without, especially if fighting wind and current. I can swim faster face down than face up, and I can see where I'm going.

When I run mental "What-If" shore diving emergency scenarios, I can envision having an equipment failure that forces me to surface out in the windline, several hundred yards from the exit point... my plan for this scenario is if I find that I am not making enough headway I would immediately ditch my weight belt and scuba unit... leaving me with just wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel, and the ability to make much better headway against surface current and wind.

The snorkel plays a key role in allowing me to survive this scenario.

Best wishes.

A snorkel is great on beach dives for getting out to the dive area

I personally attach it right butt up to where the mask straps connect to the mask on my left side. I have an old speedo j snorkel w/ a purge and 2 swivel points and no curving at the top. It pretty much juts out the top of my head when I wear it, but it's not really a bother when I'm under b/c the mouthpiece tucks under my chin.

This is only when I'm on scuba though. When I freedive I try to push it as far back as I can while still being able to comfortably bite down. If I were to do it the other way I'd have a massive amount of drag and vibrations.
I'm actually thinking about upgrading to the Cressi Corsica as well.

In my personal opinion, unless you can comfortably wear the snorkel under your mask strap, I wouldn't store it in your pocket.
If you don't wear a snorkel regularly during dives, then the only reason I would see to take out a snorkel is if you were in some swells and couldn't get enough buoyancy.
And I don't see any way of attaching a snorkel keeper with your mask on.
Just saying: safety over comfort, that's why I always wear one.

PS I might also add that I like surface swimming on my back more than with my face in the water.
kinda ironic don't ya think ;D

Back
Top Bottom