Where should we go for our next trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicoleallenphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi - I'm wanting suggestions on where our next trip should be. My husband and I are certified divers, but our 14 year old daughter is not - YET. We're hoping to convince her to do it one day. For now she just likes snorkeling/free diving down to about 20-30 feet. I'm wanting to know what places/countries would be good for snorkeling right from the shore and/or a quick boat ride (like 10-20 minutes). The best place we've done for this so far was Roatan and we enjoyed that a LOT. The group we went out with - Sundivers - was very accommodating for us. We took turns snorkeling with her while the other dove with a group. I enjoyed the diving, but I wasn't crazy about having a stranger be my dive partner. I trust my husband - other people not so much! So...I think we're mostly looking for a snorkeling place, but I'd consider this kind of snorkel/dive trade off, if a situation/place allowed it. Places we've been to already: Cozumel, Belize 3 times, Costa Rica 3 times (not great snorkeling, but love this country), Roatan, and we just got back from Grenada. We loved this country - very beautiful, wonderful people and things to do on land, as well as the water. The snorkeling we did off Sandy Island (near Carriacou) was some of the best we've had since Roatan. Places I'm considering for our next trip so far include: Curacao, Bonaire, Thailand (don't know where though - just interested in this country in general), St. Vincent, or the Cayman Islands. Other things to keep in mind when suggesting - I'm a teacher, so I have to go during June/July to the location when I'm on vacation. We also prefer to NOT go to all-inclusive types of places, as we really enjoying learning about the culture, meeting locals and eating the local food when we visit a place. We typically stay at small hotels (10 rooms or less) or apartments for rent in the owners home. However, if something was different than that, but so incredible for the snorkeling - we'd consider it.

Key Largo is great for snorkeling, Islamorada too for Hens and Chickens.

These are shallow dives and usually there is not a lot of current. I took my kids to Christ of the Abyss of Key Largo and they really enjoyed taking pics with the Christ Statue.

Here is some video from the trip:

It sounds like you have a good list, but have you also considered St. Croix? Snorkeling and diving the Fredricksted Pier ranks among our favorite Caribbean experiences.

Here's a recent trip report and a great video posted by @choiahoy:
St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Last edited:
I love Bonaire. They give you a truck and freedom. The shore diving gives plenty of snorkeling area and diversity of marine life.

I'm a retired teacher in the UK and one summer I particularly enjoyed visiting the fascinating Southern Californian city of San Diego with a side trip to La Jolla Cove further up the coast for a spot of excellent snorkelling in the Pacific. In Europe, I've snorkelled from the Mediterranean beaches of Spain, France, Italy and Greece as well as in the swimming lakes around Berlin, the capital of Germany. I can recommend all these venues for both the snorkelling and the culture. Like you, I would never consider going anywhere offering the prospect of good snorkelling but nothing in the way of history or culture to exercise the mind too.

During my snorkelling trips, I've also taken the opportunity to use my French and German within Northern Europe to talk to local people. Otherwise I've always made the effort to construct a sentence or two from a phrasebook to do basic transactions in a country where I've never studied the national language. The waiter looked so pleased when I addressed him with the words "három sör kérem" (three beers please) and then "köszönöm" (thanks) when the drinks duly arrived for me and my two friends in a bar in the Hungarian capital Budapest. And if you're considering following in my footsteps, the landlocked European country of Hungary offers a great snorkelling opportunity in the shape of Lake Balaton as well as oodles of fascinating history.:)

Curacao works for what you want - many of the beaches are also dive/snorkel sites with on-site faciliities. And easy entries. The famous Tugboat is 17' deep off the beach. The north side of Playa Jeremi is on Frommers best Carib snorkels list. And at Trunk Bay turtles live in 8' of water off the beach - it's also a good dive. She might like the Sea Aquarium also - they have a weird shark/turtle feed - you push food thru holes in a perspex screen or there's a dolphin program as well but it's kind of pricey.

Bonaire is similar - at some sites teh reef starts shallower. A lot of the Klien Bonaire moorings are shallow also - at one we swam in towards the island and found 4-5 turtles in 6' of water or less.

Bari Reef is arguably the best shore dive and also a good snorkel to the south - there's a debris field from a stomr trashed resort - 25 years ago.

And the first couple of piers at Salt Pier are coated in stuff and maybe 20' deep max.Fire coral there so don't touch the brown stuff.

Dee Scarr runs Touch the Sea - a snorkel program there for all age levels.

Any number of small properties on either island - most except in downtown Curacao are pretty quiet. In particular anything in west Curacao or the Belnem area of Bonaire.

both are below the hurricane belt so good in summer.

Cayman is the 2nd priciest place I've ever been - There would be a few shore oppotunities for both - Turtle Reef is a dual site - as is Lighthouse Pt - the antique anchor there is about 8' deep.

Eden Rock/Devils Grotto is both but subject to cruise traffic 100 yds. away.

Also Sunset House has both but their signature attractions are dive depth.
Cemetary Beach a better snorkel than dive and Smith's Cove a decent snorkel or shallow dive. Google Testudo's Snorkel Guide - he lists other spots.

Cayman is affected by hurricanes. And Seven Mile Beach - or Georgetown when the daily cruise ships moor - pretty congested at times. The East End is really quiet but a 45min. drive to anything not out there..

@Testudo has created an excellent guide for snorkeling from shore in Cayman, see the link below, and he may be able to advise you regarding dual diving and snorkeling sites. The problem of course is that many shallow dive sites are too deep for good snorkeling. Cayman is pricey but there are a variety of pricing options and the most popular model for stay-over guests is just as you prefer, renting a condo or house or staying in a small hotel, and it is safe to eat the food and drink the water.

I don't think that you would care for the most popular (and expensive) districts on Grand Cayman, the Seven Mile Beach section and George Town because they are quite developed and touristy and the traffic is bad during rush hours; but there are quieter areas where you can meet locals, eat local food, and enjoy the island - but you have to be willing to rent a car and drive on the left side of the road.

TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

Also, did take a look at St. Croix? I think that the Fredricksted Pier is an excellent "never get tired of it" site for both snorkeling and shore diving. It is a US Virgin Island but the driving is also on the left. Here is a recent trip report about St. Croix:

St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Last edited:
I guess the best place to go to that meets all your needs is right back here in Carriacou. You'll be accommodated with both diving and snorkeling, and as you found... both are pretty darn good!

I hope you get some more responses and options too

Ambon, Indonesia

Back
Top Bottom