Where to buy a bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having trouble finding a standard bottom timer at any of the typical online shops.

Where are you guys buying yours?

I haven't checked lately. With the proliferation of diving computers, could they have become extinct?

No. Digital bottom timers are still in widespread use, especially among DIR and technical divers who have no use for a computer.

No. Digital bottom timers are still in widespread use, especially among DIR and technical divers who have no use for a computer.

So why don't you provide some information on these very prolific bottom timers and where someone can buy one.

OMS and Scubapro/Uwatec produce bottom timers that look like this:

omsbt.jpg

I guarantee you that dozens of regular posters on Scubaboard use these as their main bottom timers. Last time I looked for one was probably in 2006, and many sites such as Leisurepro and Scubatoys stocked them.

I can't find them on any of the sites I used to buy from, so I'm asking the board where I can find them.

Thanks.

I ran into the same problem. It seems that Uwatec and OMS both discontinued sales of these in the US. Uwatec now sells an enhanced version but again, not in the US.

I ended up buying a Cressi Archimides 2 that I run in gauge mode. I think Hollis might be coming out with a bottom timer but from what I recall, it had a bunch of extra stuff which defeats the purpose and... adds to the cost. Another option might be the Oceanic GEO. Again, not an actual bottom but it does have a gage mode and I believe it has a second counter.

There are also plenty of dive computers that have a GUAGE mode, for example mine, which is a Dive Rite Duo. By the way, why not just use a watch?

Watches don't give you depth and they don't automatically start counting your dive the moment you descend and stop counting when you surface.

All of the computers I know of that have gauge mode are expensive, have lockout modes, and have to be set in gauge mode all the time (or some combination of items above).

I don't want something that's "as good as" a standard bottom timer... except for a few things. I just want a bottom timer.

It would be sad indeed if Scubapro/Uwatec and OMS have simply stopped selling these. That can't possibly be the case, though can it?

Back
Top Bottom