Where to buy BPW rig in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GiantMoray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am looking into buying a BPW rig as a BCD although I am only a rec diver currently. My reasoning is that it seems like a popular choice on this forum and for potential use of twinsets and possibly tec diving at some point.

My instructor recommended I look at Hollis gear for a BPW configuration.

I was hoping to keep to a budget of £350 but not sure how realistic that is with Hollis gear.

I know nothing about what to choose for a BPW configuration and was wondering where I should look to buy in the UK as online I've found mainly US based stores and the UK ones mainly don't seem to stick BPW and are very expensive where they do.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
James

Try these:
DiveLife | Scuba Diving Equipment | PADI Scuba Diving Courses | Apeks | Suunto | Scubapro | Fourth Element
DIR Diving
DirDirect :: Wing Systems :: Single Tank Wings

£350 is in the budget range for BP/W but good equipment is still possible. Try an get an IST Backplate, they are cheaper than name brands, such as Hollis, Apeks, et al.
Apeks do a One piece harness package for around £40. Which when you try and price all the pieces individually, webbings, d-rings, works out slightly cheaper than buying seperate.
A DIR Zone or Apeks WTX3 wing can be bought for under £200. I'm biased towards the Apeks kit as I dive it, but can't complain.

For my money call James at Aquanauts and talk over what you want and he will try and put together a package for you.

Thanks, how interchangeable are the parts between brands?

Used is also a good route. Check The Dive Forum. Mainly UK based folks on there. Managed to get a halcyon explorer (twinset wing) for £100 a few months ago.

Thanks, how interchangeable are the parts between brands?

In terms of a proper BP/W, completely interchangeable.

I'm probably breaking a rule here but;

IST SS Backplate £82

IST Dolphin JST40 (40lbs lift) wing £219 (I've been selling both the IST and the Apeks WTX6 and, frankly, the IST just edges the Apeks in build quality and its design is a lot less bat-wing wide than the Apeks (the Apeks can be supplied with an optional internal bungy kit to stop it flapping, even on twins)

Apeks one-piece harness kit £40

P&P to anywhere in mainland UK £9

On your budget, from K-Dive. Check the facebook page for contact details

Thanks for that HickDive, will take a look, I'm still umming and arring regarding BPW/standard BCD it seems a very polarising issue here!

Thanks for that HickDive, will take a look, I'm still umming and arring regarding BPW/standard BCD it seems a very polarising issue here!

Only slightly; you should see the threads on whether or not you should put your mask on your forehead! :D

I've read a few of them, I keep my mask round my neck just to be safe, never been mobbed by people trying rescue me as I remove it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom