Where to buy regulator parts kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I am a hands on type of person. I like to get into things, repair, make my own etc. and have been considering doing my own rebuilds. I found what seems to be a decent book that covers a broad range of regs and their functions. My main regs are a set of sp s600 mk25 in which I don't want to start out playing with, but I do have a set of older poseidon regs that desperately need some work and thought they'd be a good start. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy the parts kits?

Good luck, the scuba nazi won't sell parts to "untrained shade tree regulator technicans".

Captain

Sounds to me like practicing on the Ferrari until you get your nerve up to work on the Ford.

Actually, the Poseidons are some of the easier regs to get parts for, because most of the reg kits available come from abroad, and Poseidons are popular in Europe. However, they are a really bad reg to try and learn on (especially if they "desperately need work") - just too many subtleties. If you don't want to start on your SPs you'd be better off picking up an old reg, say, in your case, a MK5 or 10 SP or any similar BP clone, and praticing on that.

oversea:
I am a hands on type of person. I like to get into things, repair, make my own etc. and have been considering doing my own rebuilds. I found what seems to be a decent book that covers a broad range of regs and their functions. My main regs are a set of sp s600 mk25 in which I don't want to start out playing with, but I do have a set of older poseidon regs that desperately need some work and thought they'd be a good start. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy the parts kits?

First things first. I have seen people try and it doesn't look pretty. Not to mention that it completely voids you warranty. The common eye wouldnot know what to look for in the way of problems. And then there is always the notion that you will have to reteach yourself every year to do it again.

Poseidon? Probably the worst reg to start on.
Scubapro? With all the specialty tools that are unavailable toyou along with the parts, probably the second worst reg to do.

Lastly there is not only taking it apart and puting it back together. Don't forget cleaning, lubricating the right parts, putting it back together right, and then setting it up and testing it. Hmmm... still a good idea?

It ain't rocket science! Parts availability is the main issue, many tools are off-the-shelf, and if they're not, www.scubatools.com is a great resource, who happily sell direct. Dedicated testing equipment is not required for the home rebuilder. I suggest you read Vance Harlow's (aka oxyhacker in the above post) Regulator Repair book for an understanding of how simple it can be to work on your regulator.

Some mechanical aptitude is assumed!

oversea:
Can anyone tell me a good place to buy the parts kits?

I would do is to attend a equipment repair workshop at DEMA to gain contact and headstart if you intend to service your own regulator.

Gook luck

Rebuilding a regulator requires some mechanical skills. Anyone who understands the operation of and can rebuild a lawn mower carburator or any other household mechanical device I would say has the skills to rebuild a regulator.

Captain

S C:
I would do is to attend a equipment repair workshop at DEMA to gain contact and headstart if you intend to service your own regulator.

Gook luck
Might find it a little hard if you don't work for a scuba shop...

captain:
Rebuilding a regulator requires some mechanical skills. Anyone who understands the operation of and can rebuild a lawn mower carburator or any other household mechanical device I would say has the skills to rebuild a regulator.

Captain
I've done that, build race carburetors, build r/c cars, assemble computers, Rebuilt steering and brake parts, can weld, rebuild engines, build chassis', etc, etc. The mechanical end, I am not worried about. Its parts location. There is enough reference materials out there to get the proper info. As far as tools are concerned, I am sure many can be made. I have come accross many things that require a specialty tool that turns out to be quite simple. The best is a tool issued by mercruiser (boat engines) for changing/adjusting a shift cable. It was a metal rod welded to a craftsman socket. 30.00 for 8.00 worth of parts. I'm not saying that all can be made, but I bet some can. My grandfather was a machinist and taught me alot of techniques and ideas for making things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom