Where to buy regulator parts kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've built several special tools for servicing my regulators. As you pointed out standard tools can sometimes be easily modified to work. I have also made parts that I could not obtain either because I couldn't buy them or they are no longer available.

Captain

No doubt that specialty tools can be manufactured, an implemented. Sometimes another tool or compliment of tools may be substituted. However, the most difficult part i think is knowing what to look for as far as problems go, or even parts placement for some.

Nevertheless, you'll still need intermediate pressure gauge for pressure setting, flow meter to set to manifacturer setting and a few other stuff, if not you are just not be getting the right performance of the regulator and diff. brand has diff setting. Go get info to understand how the regulator work and obtain the factory setting detail first, then get a break down drawing of the regulator that you have, on the drawing there is part list / ref number so you would know what are the part you will need, because a lot of part is re usable. it is much easy to buy the parts if you have the ref number ready. drop me a line if you have done all these and still not able to locate the parts.

Oversea-
If you want to work on your regs to save money or time, go to a good service shop and pay the man whatever he wants and thank him, because he has probably saved your life. People trying to save money usually cut corners. A person with this mentality should never touch a reg when its out of his mouth. However, if you are mechanically inclined, and understand how a regulator works and what the parts do, go ahead and give it a shot. There are no secrets or magic needed to service regs, just some knowledge of accepted practices and common sense. Learn everything you can about them before working on them. Example: If you don't know the difference between a static and dynamic o-ring, or if you are planning on using your brand new, expensive, top-of-the-line, really nice stainless steel o-ring picks, study some more. 1st stages are very demanding in terms of inspection, cleaning, and assembly, mainly do to the high pressures involved. Buy some older regs on ebay and get busy. I didn't dive in OW with the first reg I worked on, but I dive-tested each one in my pool. As my confidence and experience grew, I began doing all of my service work. I'm the type of person that needs to know first-hand that my equipment is assembled and working correctly, and I won't take anyone's word for it, since it is my life that is on the line. As scubaroo pointed out, ScubaTools is a great source for service tools, Christolube 111, and test equipment. Scubastore.com has service kits for several brands of regs and they will sell to you direct. Even though they are located in Spain, your order will arrive within a week. I use them a lot. If you need some technical info, send me your email address. I have the complete Poseidon manual, SP Mk14, Zeagle, Oceanic, and several others. Although the Poseidon 2nd stage is different than most other 2nds (it has a diaphragm actuated, servo assisted valve. The upstream valve is the reason why the LP hose has a pressure relief valve at the 2nd stage end) it will help you learn some of the common servicing and cleaning techniques, including: don't use steel picks to remove o-rings because you will scratch the sealing surface and ruin the part. ;-)

oversea:
I am a hands on type of person. I like to get into things, repair, make my own etc. and have been considering doing my own rebuilds. I found what seems to be a decent book that covers a broad range of regs and their functions. My main regs are a set of sp s600 mk25 in which I don't want to start out playing with, but I do have a set of older poseidon regs that desperately need some work and thought they'd be a good start. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy the parts kits?

Scubatools.com is a good resource for specialty tools and if you are only working on one first and second stage model, the number of tools you need is fairly small and will cost relatively little $. You could probably make them but why bother? Pete Wolfinger (who owns Scubatools.com and used to be the tech guru for Scubapro) also has a book called scuba savvy that is a good reference if you plan on doing your own maintainence.

Parts for SP regs can be picked up on line through e-bay but it is very much a buyer beware kind of thing. Some are older kits and not exactly the latest and greatest SP makes.

I second ( or is it third) the comment that a posiden is not the ideal reg to cut your teeth on. They are distinctly different than most other regs and I would not attempt it without the manual. And the manual is a little larger than one would expect.

2ndTimeDiver:
Oversea-
If you want to work on your regs to save money or time, go to a good service shop and pay the man whatever he wants and thank him, because he has probably saved your life. ;-)

that one sentence covers everything and I couldn't agree more with it. sometimes people forget that this is life support equipment and they put too low a price tag on what it supports.

rescuediver009:
that one sentence covers everything and I couldn't agree more with it. sometimes people forget that this is life support equipment and they put too low a price tag on what it supports.

Well, After having owned a dive shop for a while I couldn't disagree with it more.

It might be life support equipment but it's extremely simple. Setting an alarm clock is orders of magnitude more complicated.

The fact that divers in general let the manufacturer and some bozo in a dive shop convince them that they are too stupid to replace a few o-rings renews my faith in the fact that common sense isn't so common.

I choose not to work on my car these days and that's a valid choice as it is for those that choose not to work on their own regs. Refusing to sell parts or service manuals to those who do want to do their own work is of the highest kind of insult and I, for the life of me, can't understand why divers do business with those shops or manufacturers.

BTW, I haven't had a problem with a freshly serviced reg since we started doing our own. Before that it happened all the time.

Just like I think that any one who drives a car should be able to change a flat, I think that any one who dives without an instructor should be able to overhaul a reg. Otherwise you are going to have to call dives eventually.

I have found rebuild kits for several US Divers/Aqualung 1st and 2nd stage regs on E-Bay. Reg's are easy to rebuild. It may help to ask your local dive shop if there is a chance to sit in the next time a tech rep is in to do training. If they're good, you'll get a lot of hands on in the training and a little exposure to unique tools that are needed.

CB

Someone at the regulator factory had to assemble the regulator. What are the chances that the assembler is a trained regulator tech. He or she may be a minimum wage flunkie.

By me bringing my regulators to the dive shop for repairs would mean that I am not as sharp as the dive shop owner. He may be very good at selling retail but may be an idiot when it comes to repairing things. Mechanical ability does come from natural talent and if the dive shop owner had any mechanical apptitude he probably would not be selling retail.

That there is a large interest in self service and repair. There's is someone that can help get the parts and sell them to you.
Sea Jay posted a thread with the info. do a search for Sea jays post and you'll find it.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom