Where to buy regulator parts kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i found all kinds of manuals at

htp://reglibrary.virginiascuba.com

download like crazy :)

I am really shocked that after 7 years we still have not found a source for regulator rebuild kits. Doesn't anyone on ScubaBoard own a dive shop that can help us get our rebuild kits? WTF??

I am really shocked that after 7 years we still have not found a source for regulator rebuild kits. Doesn't anyone on ScubaBoard own a dive shop that can help us get our rebuild kits? WTF??
If you're looking for Apeks rebuild kits, availability ebbs and flows over time. As you know, the manufacturer does not support DIY reg servicing and will not officially sell kits to the end user. (Ridiculous, I know.)
Right now, kits are available at DiveRiteInScuba.com.
They're pricey, though. Apparently Apeks/Aqualung raised prices on the overhaul kits in the past couple of years.
Apeks First Stage Kit
Apeks Second Stage Kit

I have a Scubapro Mark 7 "The Honker" that was just given to me.

I found a schematic at the wonderfull frogkick site.

I want to service this reg because:
1> It is a strange regulator
2> I don't plan on ever diving it, but may use it for shop air, and the occasional leave on the dock on top of tank with big hose to go under boat for inspection setup. The honking part would actually serve a purpose then!

Any idea where to get a service kit?

Tried the ebay, and a couple of other sources, but can't seem to get anywhere.

Guy
:)

Did you see awap's post on this? It's basically a MK5 kit with a few extra o-rings that he listed. If you can;t find the kit, I suggest that you try to find a MK5 seat; if you're in the U.S. I'll send you one, just PM me your address, and then buy o-rings from parker or oringsusa.com. I'm pretty sure awap listed the sizes of all the o-rings, but if not you can ask here and there are several people that know them. Try the kit first.

Also, I think awap mentioned something about the static o-rings that are not in the annual repair kit. There are several of those I usually replace whenever I buy a reg and rebuild it for the first time. Those include the one that seals the HP seat (013), the yoke nut seal (015), the seat retainer seal (015) and the turret seal (012).

Ok while I am waiting on Mattboy to send me a seat for my Mark Vii I thought I would service another reg set! :D :D :D (Mattboy Rocks by the way!)

Seems that everyone around me is giving me an old reg set lately. :D

I received a Genesis DAD with two Atlas 2nd stages.

I found a rebuild kit for the first stage. I have not yet dissembled it yet. It looks like it needs it from the signs of some corrosion on the filter.

The second stages are in rough shape. Someone was in there before me and did a number on one of the orifices. Looks like they tried tightening it till they stripped out the slots for the screwdriver, which also messed up the soft plastic threads on the orifice. I was able to get it out, but there it needs to be replaced. (Scuba gear is amazingly tough stuff, I can't believe that this thing still worked as messed up as the orifice was! It was way out of adjustment because of this messed up orifice, and it still worked! )

I found the kits! thanks for the help!

Thanks,
Guy
:)

Last edited:
I too am interested in learning to service regs. My gf and her sister have 8 year old Oceanic Delta 4/FDX10 regs with Cressi SPG/Archimedes II consoles. We have a dive trip coming up in July.

They were last serviced by AirTech about 2 or so years ago and cost $300+ to service through the LDS who sent them to AirTech. It is unknown as to exactly what was done. The LDS who was involved has since gone out of business.

I'm trying to determine whether or not parts can be obtained for this equipment. If not, then the answer is obvious, send them to someone who can get the parts and have it serviced by them.

I'm not sure whether or not my gf and her sister would be willing to sell off the old regs and buy equipment that offers parts kits to end consumers (not sure about all of what brands do) so I could service them.

As far as my competency: I have been a audio/video engineer, auto mechanic, electronics tech, automatic transmission disassembler/prep - if anyone has seen the inside of even the most simple of auto trans, some would say they're assembled by magic gnomes and operate via quantum physics (hydraulic actually) :wink: , and build/tune/magazine writer for enthusiast grade radio control helicopters. Plus, I'm a meticulous freak lol

So by comparison the regulators seem much less magical.

Is there any sort of active list anyone keeps on what brands sell parts openly to the end consumer without having to try and cajole a LDS?

Well, After having owned a dive shop for a while I couldn't disagree with it more.

It might be life support equipment but it's extremely simple. Setting an alarm clock is orders of magnitude more complicated.

The fact that divers in general let the manufacturer and some bozo in a dive shop convince them that they are too stupid to replace a few o-rings renews my faith in the fact that common sense isn't so common.

I choose not to work on my car these days and that's a valid choice as it is for those that choose not to work on their own regs. Refusing to sell parts or service manuals to those who do want to do their own work is of the highest kind of insult and I, for the life of me, can't understand why divers do business with those shops or manufacturers.

BTW, I haven't had a problem with a freshly serviced reg since we started doing our own. Before that it happened all the time.

Just like I think that any one who drives a car should be able to change a flat, I think that any one who dives without an instructor should be able to overhaul a reg. Otherwise you are going to have to call dives eventually.

When this thread began in 2004, the average cost of servicing a regulator in a dive shop was $25 per stage, or less, plus parts. Parts rarely ran more than $5-10. In 2017 in the Washington DC area, the cost of labor has risen to $35/stage and parts cost about $20-$30 per stage. So a reg + octopus that cost $75-$80 to service is now well over $200 for the same routine work. Does this change anyone's view about the economics of self-service?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom