Where to buy unscented Talcum / Talc powder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that a diver had a source for like a 25 lb. tub of bulk pure talc.

Whilest sitting around on an SI this past weekend, I mentioned that I had "read somewhere" that the big tubs were available...

Mind you that I didnt say that I read it Online, as this would have turned the discussion sour quickly.

The end result was a consensus that everyone wanted in on the "BIG-TUB 'O-TALC"

Ergo my querry...

Any suggestions other than "why use talc, just use food grade silicone"?????

My wife has a source. I'll ask her about it later today and post it.

Find it where any large truck tires are sold. You should be able to order it from your local NAPA dealer. Fragrance free too!!!

You can get the pure talc at a billard shop or pharmacy. The billard shops usually are cheaper. Just make sure there is no fragrance added.

AND.....

I wont have to explain the picture on the front of the other bottle.....:D

Bulk Talc and Shaker Bottles

If anyone has any other options, please let me know....I'm still in the market...

My wife sys she orders it through the local tier shop. The don't keep it on hand but they can get it. I haven't used it but I'm told corn starch will work.

Ya know Windy... when a guy starts buying talc in 24# tubs that is usually a sign that a slightly...
hmmm.. errr... uhhh,
More robust suit is in order...

Originally posted by Windknot
Any suggestions other than "why use talc, just use food grade silicone"?????
There's a very good reason to *not* use silicone, particularly around drysuit zippers and seals... the suit material will absorb the silicone and make it difficult if not impossible to replace the seals or zipper - 'cause the glue won't stick to the silicone impregnated material.
Rick

That's what I was going for......

I was trying to cut off anyone from suggesting to switch from talc to silicone...(in the vernacular of today's youth...) Sorry...my bad.

I knew THAT was the specific reason to NOT use silicone.....I've read it here numerous times....I read it in my owners manual before my LDS lost it....Then had them tell me to use silicone spray to fit my head through the neck seal!!!!!!

I guess when you work or own the place a drysuit costs significantly less so they would have no need to replace the seals...just get a new one instead...

I actually talked another diver out of using silicone spray this past weekend citing seal replacement. He's interested in getting in on my Bulk Talc deal, once I find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom