Where to carry my knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the thread is about where to put your larger size knife, I would have to agree with putting it inside the calf. The better option though, would be to have a much smaller knife. I used to have a ScubaPro Glide Plus and I just used zip ties to attach my knife to my inflator hose.

I used to have a ScubaPro Glide Plus and I just used zip ties to attach my knife to my inflator hose.

That's probably not such a great idea.

If you need to use the knife you'll need to cut the ties to remove it from the inflator hose, and how will you cut the ties if you can't remove the knife in the first place?

A better option might be to attach the sheath to the inflator hose with zip ties.

:cool2:

Do you even need to carry one? I know snorkelling there are a couple of times I wish I would have had something, but that was for more "digging in the sand" type of stuff.

You always want to have a knife to cut yourself from monfilament or other entanglement hazards. You don't need a huge Rambo blade, just something that will take care of business. I carry two knives. One is carried on my waist strap slightly on the left hand side and the other is up on the top right shoulder strap. This gives me two ways to get to a knife if I need one. I have been snagged once as well as seen several people get tangled in monofilament before. Every diver should carry at least one knife. Hopefully you will dive and never need it, but if you do your life will depend on cutting yourself loose.

Here I have a small knife attached to the waistband and a pair of shears attached to the left shoulder harness below the D ring. Both are accessable with either hand.

Picture272.jpg

Here I have a small US Divers knife attached to the inner calf. Wherever you place it, check to make sure you can deploy it with either hand.

Picture288.jpg

And yes, it's probably time to wax again.

Many posters on these boards put too much emotion into a dive knife. To some, it marks you as a reckless attacker of women and children, to others you're a "want to be Rambo". These emotional excuses, bring about ideas of not carrying a knife anywhere, to carrying a blunt tip knife made out of soft material that won't cut.

It's a TOOL! If you are diving where there are fishermen, you need a knife to cut line, If you become entangled a knife will cut mono line, and wire cutters if they are fishing with wire leaders. Are you going to be diving around boats, or from a boat? Small boats in protected waters use thin plastic rope and small knives will cut that. If you are around bigger boats and they use larger rope,you need a larger knife.

There are lots of tools out there that won't do any job. Get a good knife that will cut the biggest rope you're likely to encounter in your dive area, keep it sharp and waxed to reduce chance of rust. Many knives have a hook that is called a line cutter. If the blade is made of soft metal, the line cutter won't cut, and the line cutter won't cut rope anyway. Many people here have mentioned EMT shears, they'll cut small line but many cheaper shears are soft metal stampings and have a weak aluminum rivet, and won't cut. If you've met emergency workers,they can show you good brands that will even cut small rope.

Each part of the country has different diving conditions, prepare for your conditions and change if you go somewhere else. . . A very small number of California divers, dive in kelp, long tough plants that can catch on a knife on the outside of their leg, they carry knives on the inside of their leg. Most divers are not diving in thick weeds, and the preferred carry is on the outside of the leg, on the calf or thigh. If you are unsure of your local conditions ask at your dive store, and put the knife where they recommend.

There is a lot of good information in these forums, just remember, you're not diving in the same places all of these people are. Wear the equipment that is appropriate for your area, not theirs.

I sip tide my Knife on my BC. Reason, i want it close if needed and don,t have to worry about losing it, it stays always there! Just for the case!!!

That's probably not such a great idea.

If you need to use the knife you'll need to cut the ties to remove it from the inflator hose, and how will you cut the ties if you can't remove the knife in the first place?

A better option might be to attach the sheath to the inflator hose with zip ties.

:cool2:

Thats what he probably did (sheath) :rofl3:

When I dive with two knives, it is a larger one strapped to the inside of my left calf - I am right handed, and the second is a smaller bc knife, attached horizontally to my waistband - again left side. Most of the time I just dive with the bc knive......considering shears

A very small number of California divers, dive in kelp, long tough plants that can catch on a knife on the outside of their leg, they carry knives on the inside of their leg. Most divers are not diving in thick weeds, and the preferred carry is on the outside of the leg, on the calf or thigh.

When would conditions ever favor wearing a knife on the outside of the thigh or calf? What happens when the hand on that side becomes trapped or inoperable? If one carries a knife one might want/need to use it. Why reduce your access to it by 50%.

This diver has been hooked by a passing troller. Green means he can cut free, red means he is going for a ride.

armentanglement.jpg

Where are you diving where you can get hooked by a troller? And wouldn't this depend on where you were hooked?

SolarStorm where do you do most of your diving? And what type of gloves do you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom