where to clip stage/pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got around to rigging my 30 cuft pony bottle as a stage bottle. I have been mounting it to my tank and it was a serious PITA to switch it out between dives.

I used a SS clip with the big ring to go around the valve and a hose clamp with a ring attached to a double ender for the bottom clip point. I put my Transpac2 on and clipped the pony to the chest d-ring and waist D ring (both on right side). It appears that if I jump in the water with this thing on, and don't hold onto it, I will get knocked in the jaw. And that could ruin your whole day. :cussing:

Am I doing something wrong? :hm:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say yes. For starters, I don't think a double-ender should be used. I'm having trouble picturing your rig though... could you provide a photo?

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, but I might be able to scare one up here at work.

If not, I happen to know that my girlfriend is getting a nice digital camera for Xmas. :wink: So I can snap a pic this weekend and post it. I'm not diving between now and then anyway...

It's an older stage bottle configuration that is not used much any more although OMS does shows somethign similar using a bolt sap ona nylop loop rather than a ring to achieve the same basic thing to cater to the small number of divers who still do it that way.

The logic of it is that every thing is metal to metal and unlikely to break. The counter argument is that all the connections are metal to metal and you will not be able to cut them away if the clips get stuck etc. (which OMS partially resolves with the nylon strap rather than a ring.)

I think the odds of that happening ar slight so I don't see that as anything other than a theoretical argument. But the major issue in my opinion is the lack of adjustability when you rig it that way as the neck ring in particular is less than ideally located. My preference is to rig them hog style. They are adjustable and the rig is both durable yet can be cut away if the need arises.

http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stage/

If they are rigged properly they should not reach up high enough to smack you in the face. But none the less, when entering the water I will still put my hand on top of the deco bottle to hold it in place with the other hand on my mask and reg.

Finally got around to taking a picture of my stage bottle. Its an easy setup but like I said it looks like I will get wacked. I like the stage setup that aquamaster posted the link to, but this doesn't seem too different.

The rigging is the older style, but should work. Make sure your chest d-ring isn't mounted too high. Stretch your arm out parallel to the ground, then bring your thumb straight back to the chest, keeping the bent arm parallel to the ground. Your thumb will point to where your d-ring should be.

I'd switch over to rope for rigging. See the pic attached above in a previous post. It's cheap, and a better way of rigging. It will give you something to hang on to if you need to unclip for some reason. It will also let you use the proper clip on the bottom, making it easer to clip and unclip wearing gloves.

Back
Top Bottom