Where to dive in April on east coast peninsular Malaysia ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Does the Wormald's book give you any other suggestions?"

The book(2016, not 2017 as I stated before) does have a variety of suggestions but the comments in the introduction to Malaysia are sometimes varied from the specific suggestions later in the text. She suggests Tenggol, Redang, Tioman, Tengah, and Aur for varied reasons, and also Rawa but gives no details about it. The book clearly states that if your trip is primarily about diving you should go to the state of Sabah. For us, however, it is a first trip to Singapore/Malaysia. We will do some diving/snorkeling on this trip but want to explore whether Malaysia would be a good home base for several months a year to take shorter trips out to other more remote locations in southeast asia.
Unfortunately, I think yours and other comments about the effect of large populations of residents and tourists and accumulating
rubbish is now a global phenomenon. Close to my home, for example, a 2012 study determined the Florida Keys, U.S.A, were the most highly degraded reefs of 35 areas studied in the Caribbean, primarily due to the number of residents and tourists. I no longer go there. Going forward, it seems we will have to go to smaller, more remote, and more expensive locations to find less impacted diving.
Thanks for the extended reply and the links. Currently we are thinking a few days on Tioman at a dive lodge and then north to one of the locations in Terengganu state but have not made definite reservations yet. Since it is not high season we may just "wing it".
All the replies in this thread have been very interesting and helpful and we are using them to decide where to go/stay.

Good for you. I hope and am sure that you will love SE Asia as much as I do. I have spent a good amount of my life there and it retains a special place in my heart. I have traveled or lived in every country in Asia except North Korea and Mongolia. Both Singapore and Malaysia are great bases from which to travel more broadly around the continent. They are very good hubs for inexpensive flights everywhere. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any other questions. I have given considerable thought to splitting my retirement days between somewhere in SE Asia and the US. It is a special place. All the best to you!

For Tioman I'd recommend B&J Diving Centre: Home - B&J, Diving in Tioman
When we went to Redang in 2016 it was swamped with Chinese divers and the resort's inhouse dive centre chose sub-optimal dive sites. So skip Redang imho.
Perhentian big island might be a good option but I haven't been there since 2014.
Tenggol is much smaller and has only 2 dive centres on the island plus Scuba 101 in Dungun (Home) which also means fewer divers per dive sites.
All have pros and cons and while Sipadan trumps them all, I think Tioman, Perhentian and Tenggol can provide some nice diving as well.

Thanks very much for your replies and the videos you uploaded on the Tenggol thread. Based on yours and other's input, it seems Tioman with B&J(have already corresponded with them), for at least a few days ,would be what we are looking for, and then north to another east coast spot yet to be determined ! There are a lot more places to dive off the Malaysian east coast than I realized !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom