Where to dive in Dominican Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only been in Bahayibe / La Romana area but based on my research this area has the best diving. I was pleasantly surprised by the diving there. Check out Scuba Fun if you go. A nice dive op owned by an expat American but with a local staff.

I have only been in Bahayibe / La Romana area but based on my research this area has the best diving. I was pleasantly surprised by the diving there. Check out Scuba Fun if you go. A nice dive op owned by an expat American but with a local staff.

I think your right about the area where you stayed. What I read it keeps pointing me there. Where did you stay?

My girlfriend does not dive so we stayed at the Wyndham Viva Dominicus (All Inclusive) which was like 10 or 15 minutes from the dive boat (they picked up and dropped off for free)

It was a nice resort with great beaches and good snorkeling right off the beach. They upgraded us to a beach front bungalow so that didnt hurt either.

Have fun. I will go back here someday if for no other reaon than the price - probably the least expensive vacation we have been on

Have fun

I second the vote on price. DR is just absurdly cheap.

I was diving up in Samana (doing a course) and to be honest the quality of the diving up there is poor (fun course though). I certainly aim to go back to the DR one day though and try some other spots though.

I just got back from a trip to DR, we were in Porta Plata, north side. At the resort we stayed, there was a shop on site, Aqua-Center, a PADI shop. Their main location is at a hotel in Sosua, about 30 miles east of Porta Plata. This dive operation to me,(been certified since 87) is very poor. Would not recommend it at all. The two dives we did off Sosua were very bad as well. Terrible vis, and reefs. Don't waste your money on this.

I just got back from a trip to DR, we were in Porta Plata, north side. At the resort we stayed, there was a shop on site, Aqua-Center, a PADI shop. Their main location is at a hotel in Sosua, about 30 miles east of Porta Plata. This dive operation to me,(been certified since 87) is very poor. Would not recommend it at all. The two dives we did off Sosua were very bad as well. Terrible vis, and reefs. Don't waste your money on this.

Doesn't shock me. Puerto Plata (like Samana) is north side. I think the better diving is supposed to be on the south side. But I think everywhere in DR suffers from "distressed fish populations" (which is code for: all the fish have been caught and eaten).

Anybody have any opinions on where the BEST diving is in the Dominican Republic?

Thanks

Hi SweetUnderwater,

I highly recomend you to visit the south side for diving because that's where you will find the real caribbean sea.
Weather circumstances are generally, also much better. (lesser waves, better vis)
A good option would be Bayahibe nearby (la Romana) six all inclusive resorts in this area.
Also cabañas (basic rooms) are available in the village.
Check us out on: main
I hope you will have an unforgetable stay!!

Nice Dives

Robert

The north coast is famous for good waves and wind for kiters, surfers and windsurfers, but not as good for diving. Most of the time is very wavy and some people have hard time to get on the boat. The visibility and waves have been really a big problem last few months there, many days they couldn't go diving at all.
Same with Punta Cana / Bavaro area. It's not as bad as on the north, but it's still Atlantic, we had many customers driving hour and half from Punta Cana to Bayahibe and back to dive with us, because they didn't like the diving conditions there.
As Robert said, the south side of the island is the real Caribbean, with much calmer water and good visibility. There are many hotels and resorts in the area check Hotels in Bayahibe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom