Where to dive in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving247

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, Check out my latest book "The North America Dive Guide", and if there isn't a local hotspot mentioned in it that you like to visit and want others to know about it, email me so I can include it in the next edition. The book is based on interviews with local divers, dive professionals, dive store owners, and local charter operators, but if I can improve the next version, let me know. Sincerely Mike Hughes Oh, found in some stores, but on Amazon.com like my other book, "The Northwest Dive Guide."

Last edited:
And this book would be found....where?

amazon.com. and some select book stores.

I'll be at DEMA in Orlando this year, and some dive shows as well, and occasionally a dive site here or there.

Wonderful. I have been wanting to write this book since I felt that such a guide was badly needed. I am glad that you took the initiative. It is a very good contribution to diving publications and something that should keep growing. Every year new additions and new dive sites to constantly add and bring updated editions. I will be sure to buy a copy.

I checked out the "Look Inside" link on the Amazon page. Surprisingly, there is a lot of the book available through this link. Interesting. I found the section on Arkansas to be rather sparse. There is quite a bit of decent lake diving around here. Beaver Lake, where students from several nearby states come to do checkout dives, wasn't even mentioned for instance. On the other hand, I checked out what you had listed for South Dakota, where I grew up. Not expecting to find much of anything, I was quite pleasantly surprised by what you had listed. There was definitely more there than I was aware of.

Got it, will update in 2nd printing. Thanks

---------- Post added July 27th, 2013 at 02:22 PM ----------

I think I mentioned Beaver lake in one of the other State sections as some divers cross the boarders in search of better alternatives... visibility, etc. I'll find it and make reference in the next printing. As far as South Dakota goes, I actually had to keep it shorter than the info I gathered in order to publish the article in North America Dive News Magazine. Each State had initially 1200 words of space, but that is just the first roots of what could expand to be a mighty bull kelp given time.. or just bull. lol

While lots of info about local sites in my area was absent, one of the sites in there is a local site I didn't know about. Thanks! If you add information over the years during reprinting I can see this book becoming extremely thick fast. I hope so, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom