Where to dive in Nov.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tallpaul_colo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Bali to start (I'll be in the area for 4+ weeks), but I have a friend meeting me from the states for probably 7-9 days of diving. Where should we go? These are the options I'm considering. FYI we both have over 200 dives under our belt.

1. Gili Islands
2. Labuan Bajo (aka Komodo). I've been here and it has great diving
3. Sipadan - This one I'm going to do either with her or by myself
4. Manando Area North East Sulawesi
5. Raja Ampat - probably the least likely because of time and cost

I don't think of either of us as being muck divers, but who knows. I shoot some video and photos, but I'm pretty much a hack.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

6. Bali?

If you haven't dove in Bali, there are some fantastic diving in Tulamben, Padangbai & Nusa Penida. Check out this thread: Bali help

Since you will be there anyway, why not? Save time & money, as you mentioned for objecting to 5. Raja Ampat, which would be the best choice IMHO. I've been in Raja Ampat about 5 times and the 6th time will be in this November.

Last edited:
First question is : when? Diving may be quite weather/month dependent in Indonesia, that said I would keep only 3 possibilities and consider them according to the period of the year and budget.

That is :
1- Bali, easy and cheapest (been ... errr... 9-10-11 times... I refuse to count) Can be done from April to mid-October, I would skip Jun-July also due to possibility of waves.
2- Komodo (Three-peater here) exceptional diving, best in Apr-Jul as well as October-early december. Easy flight from Bali, lots of mundane dive centres catering to the backpack crowd though, you have to be selective.
3 - Raja Ampat (only once but would go back anytime with the budget for it): the best diving in Indo from october to march, the most expensive too.

*You will be bored on the Gilis as you guys seem kinda experienced. Unless you wanna see LOTS of turtles.
*Most of the Komodo liveaboards aren't running anymore. They go to Raja instead that time of year. I think Wicked Diving still has their floating hotel (the CB) open though. So that`s a good option. Day diving from LB is not fun.To long on the boat and it is rainy season. You also won't dive the best spots because they are to far away.
* Raja is great that time of year but it takes time to get there and is not cheap
*Lembeh and Bunaken are great options, especially if you like macro diving or if you are a photographer but you don't so... They do have really great frog fish and octopus though (mimic, wunderpus, blue ring, coconut,...).
*Bali is just Bali
* Lembongan has good corals but at the time the Molas are gone. You won't be diving with lots of other divers. Low season has set in.
* Sipadan is malaysia AND has only a set number of divers per day that can go. You have to combine it with mabul and be lucky you can enter the park some days.

Anyway: do remember it is rainy season in Indo. Bring a good jacket and sweater.

I would opt Komodo (if you can find a liveaboard, or dive with Wicked) or Mabul/Sipadan.

*Most of the Komodo liveaboards aren't running anymore. They go to Raja instead that time of year. I think Wicked Diving still has their floating hotel (the CB) open though. So that`s a good option. Day diving from LB is not fun.To long on the boat and it is rainy season. You also won't dive the best spots because they are to far away.
The Komodo specialized liveaboards are still running, there are plenty of cheap ones that are operated from LBJ all dive season round.
You can do day dives from LBJ with a few operations that are now running multi200hp powered speedboats (Dragon Dive Komodo, Blue Marlin, Red Whale), it will only take 25 minutes to reach the center of Komodo NP, I find this solution even better than a Liveaboard since you're back mid afternoon and can enjoy LBJ at night.
November is not the rainy season in Komodo (rain comes from december to march), it's probably the best time to enjoy both north and south !

The Komodo specialized liveaboards are still running, there are plenty of cheap ones that are operated from LBJ all dive season round.
You can do day dives from LBJ with a few operations that are now running multi200hp powered speedboats (Dragon Dive Komodo, Blue Marlin, Red Whale), it will only take 25 minutes to reach the center of Komodo NP, I find this solution even better than a Liveaboard since you're back mid afternoon and can enjoy LBJ at night.
November is not the rainy season in Komodo (rain comes from december to march), it's probably the best time to enjoy both north and south !
The weather in Indo has been really bad the last two years, with El Nino and La Nina. Rainy season has started lots earlier. Sometimes it looked like it didn't even stop the whole year through. I have been walking with water knee-high up in June and October. This summer has been bad though. So it will rain for sure... But as a diver you get wet anyway, so that isn't a problem. You just need to bring a rain jacket and thick sweater.

I hope Banda Sea weather is back to what it's used to be, because I'll be there in November (7 weeks from now) for this:

I hope Banda Sea weather is back to what it's used to be, because I'll be there in November (7 weeks from now) for this:

We are divers, so getting wet is not unusual :D But it's cold yes. I have been running around in hoodies and beenies all year long. Enjoy Banda, I never got to go there...

We are divers, so getting wet is not unusual :D But it's cold yes. I have been running around in hoodies and beenies all year long. Enjoy Banda, I never got to go there...

May be 1-2C colder than Raja Ampat (where we'll be heading after Banda in 13-day Liveaboard trip crossing from Ambon to So Wrong :D) according to this: Trip Report: Banda Sea LOB the Archipelago Adventurer II

May be 1-2C colder than Raja Ampat (where we'll be heading after Banda in 13-day Liveaboard trip crossing from Ambon to So Wrong :D) according to this: Trip Report: Banda Sea LOB the Archipelago Adventurer II
Nice Trip! I hope the water temperature is what they say it will be. It has been very warm around the gilis, almost a whole year around 84F or higher, sometimes with thermoclines. It bleached and killed lots of corals... Raja was still great when I was there last year, but waterT was also around 80/82F and bleaching started a bit.

Back
Top Bottom