Where to dive in the winter months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraT

New
Reaction score
Just getting started in scuba, taking my open water dives this weekend. I live in central Illinois. Other than the obvious (go to the warm caribbean) what do folks do in winter months to keep diving? Go to southern states? Hoping to find some places to go that I can do a long weekend. Hate to certify and then not dive for months. Any places that you can fly to fairly reasonably?
thanks for any info, looking forward to hearing from folks Laura

the Florida keys are always available, I think the winter water temp is around 70. the tickets to Fort Lauderdale are usually reasonable. and it's a 1 1/2 drive from there. Maybe they are reasonable from Illinois also.

check out Dive Training Magazine's web site, Dive Training Magazine — Scuba's magazine for new divers and their instructors. they have a director of sites in each state. Vortex Springs in the Florida panhandle has 72-degree water year round, our shop, Scuba Shack in Florence, KY, goes there several times in the winter.

I have not been there, but there is a site in Alabama, Dive Alabama, where the water may stay warmer a bit longer.
you could also consider the flooded lead mine in MO, 2Dive which is not overhead diving, one can always surface into air.

Look at moving into the world of drysuit diving and dive many areas in the Midwest. Bonne Terre Mine is always there. Check with the LDS and they typically have dive trips scheduled throughout the winter months and some have pretty good deals and/or if they have a pool could work on your skills in the pool if you just need to get the gills wet.

Welcome to the Florida Keys. Our pool is most always open! Wetsuits are optional. :D

Last edited:
I vote for the Keys, especially the Key Largo, Tavernier area. I am sure that NetDoc can hook you up. If you want even warmer then the ABC's is also a good choice. The weather pretty much does not change year round. In the Keys during winter up to about the beginning of April, I still dive dry there and am usually the warmest on the boat. Most others are in a 3mm so by the end of the day with 68F water temp they are a little cold.

I vote for the Keys, especially the Key Largo, Tavernier area. I am sure that NetDoc can hook you up.
My SO, mselenaous runs Key Largo Dive Center. She's the one to talk to. I just live and dive here.
If you want even warmer then the ABC's is also a good choice. The weather pretty much does not change year round. In the Keys during winter up to about the beginning of April, I still dive dry there and am usually the warmest on the boat. Most others are in a 3mm so by the end of the day with 68F water temp they are a little cold.
I didn't even use a wet suit at all this year here in the Keys. It just doesn't get that cold here.

My SO, mselenaous runs Key Largo Dive Center. She's the one to talk to. I just live and dive here. I didn't even use a wet suit at all this year here in the Keys. It just doesn't get that cold here.

I know but I am a wimp below 80F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom